ABF | what happened at unoin meeting today anything new or same old crap

tailgunner

TB Lurker
Credits
what happened at unoin meeting today anything new or same old crap avoid talking about anything that matters???? when will our union reps stand up for us and fight for a fair wage in NY its expensive to live in NY metro area.. the cost of living went up 20% over the past few years and all these company's yellow new penn,, abf , ect.... are crying with 2 loves of bread under there's arms top person have got bonuses when will the madness stop

With all due respect, I think the best way to find out what’s going on at the union meeting is to attend, pay attention and give your input. With all that’s at stake I would think there would be a push by the rank and file for 100% participation.

The "Give your input" part is the most important part......Up on the podium, looking out over a sea of nodding heads,.....many of our Local officials are....stunned......to hear guys trashing what they said at the meetings.

Why didn't they speak up at the meetings? The old "Alpha Male" thing?....Afraid of asking a "stupid" question?..(..there are NO stupid questions..)......Waiting to see if others agreed with them?....

Whatever the reason,........don't go to a meeting,...sit in the last row,.....and gently nod your head over things you want to question,..or disagree with.....

The only way our "temporarily elected" Local leaders know what's on the rank-and-file's mind,........is to HEAR from them in an open forum , like the monthly meeting..........A sea of gently nodding heads means acceptance and acquiesance......

And then everyone trashes the meeting....anonymously.....on social media......

C'mon, guys.........we're truck drivers......most of us, anyway......We're supposed to be known for brash and opinionated.....and loud.........debate.

Go to the meeting,....sit in the front row,....take notes,.......and ASK Questions!

The "Give your input" part is the most important part......Up on the podium, looking out over a sea of nodding heads,.....many of our Local officials are....stunned......to hear guys trashing what they said at the meetings.

Why didn't they speak up at the meetings? The old "Alpha Male" thing?....Afraid of asking a "stupid" question?..(..there are NO stupid questions..)......Waiting to see if others agreed with them?....

Whatever the reason,........don't go to a meeting,...sit in the last row,.....and gently nod your head over things you want to question,..or disagree with.....

The only way our "temporarily elected" Local leaders know what's on the rank-and-file's mind,........is to HEAR from them in an open forum , like the monthly meeting..........A sea of gently nodding heads means acceptance and acquiesance......

C'mon, guys.........we're truck drivers......most of us, anyway......We're supposed to be known for brash and opinionated.....and loud.........debate.

Go to the meeting,....sit in the front row,....take notes,.......and ASK Questions!

I found this topic provocative enough for me to re-register for this site so I could reply.

Participation should be encouraged for ANY member. Come to the meetings, raise your hand, get involved. Those temporarily elected leaders have an obligation to answer any and all questions, the membership pays their respective salaries and should receive accurate information (among other things) in return.

I, however, do not believe any local official would be "stunned" that they were "trashed" for what they did or did not communicate at the monthly gatherings. Quite the opposite actually, the leaders expect it. I find it interesting that quite a bit of time was spent on the topic of ABF at our last meeting and, to my knowledge, the only freight member in attendance was the retired ABF guy that sits in the front row. That gentlemen was you and, in the spirit of transparency, I believe you're aware who is replying to this post. Anyway, the part time UPS person that asked several questions about ABF deserves answers, just like omnipresent dashing young man (joking) that chairs our PAC fund. However, I often wonder how many of those questions (not from you) are "planted" by former officials to see if the current BA's will get "tripped up" on their answers.

Maybe I'm jaded, perhaps I'm paranoid, but I firmly believe certain members are acting in a sabotaging manner to promote their own agendas. Look around the room, Canary. Observe the texting, followed by the questions. To reiterate, every member DESERVES answers, I want to be crystal clear on that. However, it is my belief that the Brotherhood is being undermined, at all levels, in the interest of politics. That saddens me deeply, it wasn't supposed to be this way...

(Typed on my phone, please forgive any typos or grammatical errors)

I found this topic provocative enough for me to re-register for this site so I could reply.

Participation should be encouraged for ANY member. Come to the meetings, raise your hand, get involved. Those temporarily elected leaders have an obligation to answer any and all questions, the membership pays their respective salaries and should receive accurate information (among other things) in return.

I, however, do not believe any local official would be "stunned" that they were "trashed" for what they did or did not communicate at the monthly gatherings. Quite the opposite actually, the leaders expect it. I find it interesting that quite a bit of time was spent on the topic of ABF at our last meeting and, to my knowledge, the only freight member in attendance was the retired ABF guy that sits in the front row. That gentlemen was you and, in the spirit of transparency, I believe you're aware who is replying to this post. Anyway, the part time UPS person that asked several questions about ABF deserves answers, just like omnipresent dashing young man (joking) that chairs our PAC fund. However, I often wonder how many of those questions (not from you) are "planted" by former officials to see if the current BA's will get "tripped up" on their answers.

Maybe I'm jaded, perhaps I'm paranoid, but I firmly believe certain members are acting in a sabotaging manner to promote their own agendas. Look around the room, Canary. Observe the texting, followed by the questions. To reiterate, every member DESERVES answers, I want to be crystal clear on that. However, it is my belief that the Brotherhood is being undermined, at all levels, in the interest of politics. That saddens me deeply, it wasn't supposed to be this way...

(Typed on my phone, please forgive any typos or grammatical errors)

Hello, Brother........Yes, I can guess who you are.........Thank you for calling me a "dashing young man"........Maybe thirty years ago.....

Yes, I got my eyes opened after the recent Local election. It seems there are a few....agendas....running through our Local.

You know how I feel about being a "cheerleader" for the Union in public,....and keep the internal "dirty laundry" to ourselves and the monthly meeting.....

All officers are...."temporary",.....as you know,.....Some by retirement, some by election......But,...once the election is over, you band together,...remind yourself that it's the EMPLOYERS you're supposed to be fighting,......and WORK with the duly-elected officers.

Someone on another post asked me why I referred to Ernie Soehl as "Mr." Soehl.......A matter of respect for the office. As you know,.......I've had a few personal battles with Mr. Soehl,......I certainly don't agree with most of his decisions or "tactics" in grievance procedures............But I will respect the office,..so I can RESPECT MY FELLOW TEAMSTERS....

Personally,...since I'm retired,......my Opinion on the ABF vote doesn't "count".......But, since this is an "Opinion Site",........I gladly can give my Gadfly's Opinion,.......based on my 25 years with ABF and 41 years in the Teamsters.

I would hope any past Officer, voted out in a close and contentious election,........doesn't do the UNION and MEMBERS a disservice by undermining the member's confidence in newly elected Officers. They need as much member support as they can get.....for the UNION to be successful.

Makes it kind of hard to get a ..."volunteer"... replacement for the PAC Fund post I'm holding through retirement. You really don't want anyone....."volunteering".....merely to use that position for subterfuge. Politics can be nasty enough on it's own.....

However,...to answer the first poster,.......and any other member looking for information,........All I can say is that your Union is as strong as it's weakest member,.........Hey,...thanks for the Union dues and all,.......but we'd REALLY like your ACTIVE support and input..........To reiterate: Go to the Meetings,......SIT in the front row..........Take Notes!....and ASK (...Respectful...)... Questions!

Be Proud that you're in an organization That ACTIVELY supports your FIRST AMENDMENT Rights at work!

And,....thank you, Brother, for your kind words,....and YOUR active support of our Union!

....(...I edited in the word "respectful"....)......I think it's needed....

yeah but the president never wants to talk about anything blows us off... if it something other than he a gender that's a shame

yeah but the president never wants to talk about anything blows us off... if it something other than he a gender that's a shame

That’s the “ask questions” part, Brother........Even if it’s not on the agenda.........ask.
If he blows you off,.....ask again.
Ask as many times as it takes to become evident to everyone else that he’s trying to evade your questions.....

The key is....persistence....And you have Labor law on your side. He HAS to respond to your questions. That’s why there’s a Recording Secretary.........( and THAT’S why you take your own notes....)......Robert’s Rules of Order requires an official meeting to be transcribed.......Labor law requires that transcript to be made available to members....

Anyone....evading to hide.......doesn’t like members to access transcripts....(..or take notes, for that matter...)....

Use that bit of Labor law to your advantage, Brother.......You’ll get respect,......if not answers,....if you’re persistent enough...

That’s the “ask questions” part, Brother........Even if it’s not on the agenda.........ask.
If he blows you off,.....ask again.
Ask as many times as it takes to become evident to everyone else that he’s trying to evade your questions.....

The key is....persistence....And you have Labor law on your side. He HAS to respond to your questions. That’s why there’s a Recording Secretary.........( and THAT’S why you take your own notes....)......Robert’s Rules of Order requires an official meeting to be transcribed.......Labor law requires that transcript to be made available to members....

Anyone....evading to hide.......doesn’t like members to access transcripts....(..or take notes, for that matter...)....

Use that bit of Labor law to your advantage, Brother.......You’ll get respect,......if not answers,....if you’re persistent enough...

And if you can't write that quickly to take notes, get yourself one of these...
https://www.dictation.philips.com/kr/products/audio-recorders/voicetracer-audio-recorder-dvt1150/

Our newly elected President and Principle Officer, in his very first meeting in that capacity, suggested recording devices as prohibited during our monthly meetings. His explanation? The sensitivity of some of the subject material could be harmful if it ended up in the wrong hands.

Why am I not surprised.

Why am I not surprised.

I'm not surprised either. The level of paranoia is high at our Local. However, after giving it some thought, I agree with it. Let's say, for instance, that we were discussing a discharge that was going to arbitration. If the Union's strategy would get in to the company's hands, it could destroy our case. And unfortunately, in this day and age, I wouldn't say I'd trust all of our members to keep that information confidential. Sad times indeed.

I'm not surprised either. The level of paranoia is high at our Local. However, after giving it some thought, I agree with it. Let's say, for instance, that we were discussing a discharge that was going to arbitration. If the Union's strategy would get in to the company's hands, it could destroy our case. And unfortunately, in this day and age, I wouldn't say I'd trust all of our members to keep that information confidential. Sad times indeed.

You make a valid point. Although transparency is usually a good thing I guess there would be times when some things should be kept confidential. Although nothing prevents someone at a meeting from repeating what was discussed to someone on the outside.