Yellow | What happened to the Teamsters?

truckinokie

TB Lurker
Credits
I am new to the Brotherhood. Before I joined I thought that it was only freight haulers that were members. I didn't know about all the other divisions. Does anyone know if thoes other divisions pay into centreal states or not? I was not around to vote for JH or TJ and I don't know beans about either of them. From what I gather on this site they are not very good. Is that the opion of most here? If so what can be done about it? From what I have seen and read the biggest concern the IBT has is to increase membership and membership dues by any means. Is that right? It concerns me greatly to know that laidoff brothers and sisters are not taken care of in anyway by the local or the national. I know this first hand haveing been one early this year. I fully expect to be one again soon. It also concerns me to know that most brothers and sisters pay little attention to what is happening with their own locals. I was so proud to become a teamster after 17 years of waiting. Now I am wondering if I am just to blind to see the writing on the wall.

Well to be fair look at all the good they are doing for the auto industry.
Saw on the news last night with pay,benefits it's like the equiv. of 70-75 bucks
Of course they are also minutes from bankruptcy.Oh nevermind my post isn't really
helping right now.
I do have a buddy who is in the carpenters union and they let him do picket duty
a couple days a week 75 bucks I think

What happened to the Teamsters??

Reading these posts, sounds like some of you guys would rather be non-union. Looks like many of the benefits we enjoy are being ignored.

Let's not forget that the Teamsters set the standards for most of the non-union companies.

So now...What has happened to the Teamsters?

I think the reasons are several.

I've been a Teamster since 1973. I've seen many contracts.
I will agree that it's not like it used to be. Late sixties-early seventies the Teamster Union WAS the most powerful group in this country and probably the world. I believe the 'powers that be' did not like this and started to take measures(mostly in the form of anti-labor legislation) to neuter this giant force. Yes, along the way we gained benefits and pay but year by year our clout was diminished.

As time went by another phenomenon was taking place. Our members were gaining in stature. Wages and benefits were boosting Teamsters into the upper middle-class. Many had forgotten from where they came...some never knew.
Attitudes started to change. Some Teamsters thought they didn't need the IBT "What are they doing for us?"
Many company officials saw this and started to use 'divide and conquer' techniques. We started fighting among ourselves....which surely weakens us all.

Our politicians turned their backs on us. It's not a secret that the Republican Party has no use for the Teamster organization. Unfortunately, the Dems gave us Deregulation & Nafta. Two industry-crippling pieces of legislation for the Teamsters.

More recently, our economy has been decimated, largely by our polititians(Dems & Repubs) which severely affects the day-to-day operations of the companies we work for. Don't get me wrong, the incompetent administrators making the big decisions at Yellow, Roadway and Holland share much of the blame as well.

So when you ask "What happened to the Teamsters?" the answer isn't as simple as blaming Jimmy Hoffa or Tyson Johnson. While they must share some of the blame for the condition we are in, there are many other factors which must be considered and at times we must look in the mirror for some of the blame.

thank you

Reading these posts, sounds like some of you guys would rather be non-union. Looks like many of the benefits we enjoy are being ignored.

Let's not forget that the Teamsters set the standards for most of the non-union companies.

So now...What has happened to the Teamsters?

I think the reasons are several.

I've been a Teamster since 1973. I've seen many contracts.
I will agree that it's not like it used to be. Late sixties-early seventies the Teamster Union WAS the most powerful group in this country and probably the world. I believe the 'powers that be' did not like this and started to take measures(mostly in the form of anti-labor legislation) to neuter this giant force. Yes, along the way we gained benefits and pay but year by year our clout was diminished.

As time went by another phenomenon was taking place. Our members were gaining in stature. Wages and benefits were boosting Teamsters into the upper middle-class. Many had forgotten from where they came...some never knew.
Attitudes started to change. Some Teamsters thought they didn't need the IBT "What are they doing for us?"
Many company officials saw this and started to use 'divide and conquer' techniques. We started fighting among ourselves....which surely weakens us all.

Our politicians turned their backs on us. It's not a secret that the Republican Party has no use for the Teamster organization. Unfortunately, the Dems gave us Deregulation & Nafta. Two industry-crippling pieces of legislation for the Teamsters.

More recently, our economy has been decimated, largely by our polititians(Dems & Repubs) which severely affects the day-to-day operations of the companies we work for. Don't get me wrong, the incompetent administrators making the big decisions at Yellow, Roadway and Holland share much of the blame as well.

So when you ask "What happened to the Teamsters?" the answer isn't as simple as blaming Jimmy Hoffa or Tyson Johnson. While they must share some of the blame for the condition we are in, there are many other factors which must be considered and at times we must look in the mirror for some of the blame.

As a non-union driver, you post taught me alot I didn't know. I feel that my loyalty should be with the ones paying my bills. But I can say that "because" of the teamsters, the non-union companies had to shadow the union companies pay and benefits for fear of being unionized. To be honest, I don't think they fear that anymore.

1. Im not here to set standards for the nonunions...I could not care less about them.
2. The union stood back in the early 80's and watched CF create conway and stood there again in the 90's and watched CF get decimated. The union dropped the ball for a long time now, they have become useless. Ask your BA what hes going to do for you when Yellow folds...what Union company can you go work for ? Oh wait...they have not organized anything but Overnite and they got a sweet "off the book" deal and are not in the NMFA....hmmm really helps YOU alot dont it ??

...the non-union companies had to shadow the union companies pay and benefits for fear of being unionized. To be honest, I don't think they fear that anymore.

CitySlicker

If that is true, then I predict a downward spiral for non-union wages and benefits

We don't get paid what we do because companies like us.

Both union and non-union companies are pressured into paying our wages and benefits. In the case of a union company it is a negotiated contract. In the case of a non-union company it is the fear of being organized...take that fear away and things would be much different.

As our union becomes weaker, we will all struggle

being a teamster

my opinion is that are officials are greeeedddyyyyy and only worry about there pockets that forgot where they came from,companys cater to the suck asses who sell there brothers out ( divide and conquer)and it works we have teamsters ratting on other teamsters just to make themselves look good and getting some perks (meeesters) that is the problem being a teamster these days

my opinion is that are officials are greeeedddyyyyy and only worry about there pockets that forgot where they came from,companys cater to the suck asses who sell there brothers out ( divide and conquer) and it works we have teamsters ratting on other teamsters just to make themselves look good and getting some perks (meeesters) that is the problem being a teamster these days

That was pretty much the story at LCP and Local 771. Furthermore, the company did not just cater to those people, in fact, socialized with them very often at various places. Including hunting camp out around Bedford country Pa. Remember, looses lips sinks ships or so you may hear some "brothers" say every now and again... :shades:

Good post.....Love the line...."Wages and benefits were boosting Teamsters into the upper middle-class. Many had forgotten from where they came...some never knew.

When I got my first paycheck as a Teamsters, my smart *** supervisor that was handing me my first check as a Teamster said...." notice anywhere on there were it is signed by the Teamsters Union?"..."No sir, but I sure see the amount of money they negogiated your Boss to pay me!.....he left me alone for the next 12 years until he retired, after his boss cut his pay and took away insurance....ahhh....KK

forkspoon

It is a reality that union DO set standards for non-union companies

As far as CF goes, we are in agreement. Jackie Presser and the IBT could and should have done something about CF and CCX

However, Presser is dead and has been for quite a while

THANK YOU MENOSCAB Im glad that some of us still remeber what the older members went thru to get the bennies, wages, and work conditions we now enjoy. Teamsters stay united or we will all loose.

I hope I have not given you all the wrong inpression. I am a teamster through and through. None of my family have ever been teamsters. I am the first. I am very proud of that. I want to know what I can do to make us a better union.

get involved

I hope I have not given you all the wrong inpression. I am a teamster through and through. None of my family have ever been teamsters. I am the first. I am very proud of that.
I want to know what I can do to make us a better union

Get involved with your local, attend meetings, stay informed. Don't be shy about asking questions to find out the truth.

Welcome to the brotherhood!!

Get involved with your local, attend meetings, stay informed. Don't be shy about asking questions to find out the truth.

Welcome to the brotherhood!!
The best bit of advice I've seen. I dig Truckingboards but I think every member should be a part of the process and be involved with your local union.

I think the members that have attended their union meetings and stay in contact with their BA's and Shop Stewards are better informed than the one's that go on vacation with their supervisors. (don't laugh, it happens). Welcome. DS.

The problem is a lot of the members have become meesters.They are all for me and nun for you.There are still some of us old TEAMSTERS who still try to run legal and log legal as best as they can .By doing that it put's other members to work.They care about other members working not screw them like the meesters.Now is the time when all members meesters and teamsters must come together as one or we are all done.