XPO | What is in store for us?

StrokerAce

TB Lurker
Credits
If FedEx has bought out Watkins like it seems to have happened, what do you guys think will be our future down the road? Will we be bought out by someone like DHL, will we be doing the buying, or will we just stay the same?

StrokerAce said:
If FedEx has bought out Watkins like it seems to have happened, what do you guys think will be our future down the road? Will we be bought out by someone like DHL, will we be doing the buying, or will we just stay the same?
DHL is definately in the market for a LTL company! Maybe not Conway...maybe more along the lines of Vitran or something like that...

In the three years I've been with Con-Way there has always been a rumor about someone buying us out. DHL has been the one most of the rumors are about. I'm not saying it won't happen but this is a young and smaller ltl company compared to some. If the time comes that we are bought out I would not care as long as we still get at least the same benefits and pay.

jdog said:
In the three years I've been with Con-Way there has always been a rumor about someone buying us out. DHL has been the one most of the rumors are about. I'm not saying it won't happen but this is a young and smaller ltl company compared to some. If the time comes that we are bought out I would not care as long as we still get at least the same benefits and pay.
smaller than some???? currently, we are #2 behind YRC, and FedEx freight is just behind us, but will take the #2 spot if or when the Watkins deal goes through.

gfy said:
3 years ago UPS wanted to buy us.

Tell you what gfy, I was shock that they didn't. Our management style is so similar to theirs. The uniforms, haircuts, trucks, and the strict rules all remind me of UPS. I don't believe that we would have went through the shock of the change over that the Overnite guys are experiencing right now (from what I have read on the UPS Freight forums). In fact, I doubt that there would have been much to change over except the name.

RevItUp said:
Doesn't seem likely. Why would Conway pay all that money to re-brand if they wanted to sell?
Just think like this.Only good will come with all this.Remember they care about us.We our the driving force in C.F.(conway freight).

RevItUp said:
Doesn't seem likely. Why would Conway pay all that money to re-brand if they wanted to sell?

I heard a comment that with all the separate "companies" (CCX, CSE, CWX, Vantage Parts, Road Systems, Menlo Logistics, Etc.) that it was harder for another company to buy us, anyone understand any of that stuff? :(

shortcircuit said:
I heard a comment that with all the separate "companies" (CCX, CSE, CWX, Vantage Parts, Road Systems, Menlo Logistics, Etc.) that it was harder for another company to buy us, anyone understand any of that stuff? :(
the way it was explained to me is that ups wanted the ltl business only, but cnf wanted to include menlo logistics, which ups has no need for, since they already have logistics. that was the deal breaker. never heard if road systems or any of that were to be included or not.

Question?

On Menlo's website its says:
Menlo Worldwide is one of three principal operating companies owned by Con-way Inc. (NYSE: CNW).

On Con-ways website it says:
In December 2004, CNF sold Menlo Worldwide Forwarding to United Parcel Service of America.

SO who owns Menlo?

xco_dsr said:
Question?

Menlo Worldwide is one of three principal operating companies owned by Con-way Inc. (NYSE: CNW).

In December 2004, CNF sold Menlo Worldwide Forwarding to United Parcel Service of America.

SO who owns Menlo?

xco_dsr, you are dealing with 2 different companies. Each statement is correct

xco_dsr said:
Question?

SO who owns Menlo?
lawofone would like that question.

gfy said:
lawofone would like that question.

A few years back, Emery was put in the Menlo div.

Menlo sold that div (Emery) to UPS.
UPS wanted in the heaver weight air freight
and Menlo (Emery) gives them that.

OLD MAN said:
A few years back, Emery was put in the Menlo div.

Menlo sold that div (Emery) to UPS.
UPS wanted in the heaver weight air freight
and Menlo (Emery) gives them that.
Thats when Emery had all the labor,maintenance and a plane crash problems.Yes or no,I don't remember.

demize said:
I thought that Emery had landing rights overseas that UPS wanted. Did hear something about plane troubles also.

UPS bought most of the Emery landing rights back when they purchased some of the logistics holdings CNF had... I think it was early last year if memory serves...