ODFL | What's right with O.D and what's wrong ?

I keep trying to get them to give me a work at the home job. Just direct deposit my income. Seems like I just do not get anywhere on that one.

I keep trying to get them to give me a work at the home job. Just direct deposit my income. Seems like I just do not get anywhere on that one.
Just keep trying,they'll see the daylight one of these days.

Never never quit thats my motto. I also attempt breakroom monitor. These duties would include making sure no one takes extended breaks. Of course I would take bribes.
Seriously though. safer and comfortable trucks, Rainex windshield wipers, Front window deicers, power right mirror adjusters, good durable in dash AM/FMs, increase HP for pulling power yard safety. Benefits Raise in 401 K match, Raise in drop and hook pay, concern for cost of living raises improvements and health insurance.

Right: would have to say that there have been many improvements, Air ride suspension, Company truck speed turned up, Better seats, Lombard support, concern for schedules and relay time, new and reconditioned service centers, raise in 401 K match, Good friendly access to T/M, Ops Mgn, Central dispatch.

This company has been a good place to work for me because I have seen many improvements over the years. OD is a conservatively managed company and seems to make well thought out decisions. There is not a lot of B/S policies that I hear about with other companies. Hope they keep it up.

Also think there truck driving training school could use some changes.
Possible improvements:
1:Better training of trainers.
2:Trainees drive a period of time before going out on real runs in a green a white on real city streets just one or two days with a trainer.
3:Trainees do not have the option to go direct to linehaul instead required to run city than if they want to go road after a period of time in city they could bump in. This would give OD more various skilled drivers and give young drivers a chance to decide what works for them best. Many really do not seem to understand the full effects of linehaul driving.

Also think there truck driving training school could use some changes.
Possible improvements:
1:Better training of trainers.
2:Trainees drive a period of time before going out on real runs in a green a white on real city streets just one or two days with a trainer.
3:Trainees do not have the option to go direct to linehaul instead required to run city than if they want to go road after a period of time in city they could bump in. This would give OD more various skilled drivers and give young drivers a chance to decide what works for them best. Many really do not seem to understand the full effects of linehaul driving.
I must say I have to agree on higher standards for driving schools and their instructors. Our guys have to stay with a trainer at least 2 mo.s for city and about25,000 miles if they go L/H.
W.O.W - Always remember---if the world didn't suck, we would all fall off.

o.d. driving school

I think the student should have too fill out a questionair about the trainer's he has had. some of the trainer's expect the student too know a lot of thing's that they have not been showen:nutkick:

I think the student should have too fill out a questionair about the trainer's he has had. some of the trainer's expect the student too know a lot of thing's that they have not been showen:nutkick:

There could be a flip side of that. Training a driver is a work of progress. There are probably thousands of different subjects you can go through. some of the time a trainer may not mention something because he wants the trainee to learn a certain way or wants the trainee to concentrate on some other skill. Of course I am unaware of the exact situation you are pointing out and am sure you have a point. I do think it is a good thing that the training program uses multiple trainers. this gives trainees different sources of information. My point is that if there were a questionnaire it should not be concealed from the trainer the safety manager and the trainer should be able to go over it together after the driver has got his CDL so that the trainer could explain his actions.

Lets add that as a 4th subject to be added to improving the Driver training school.

4:The safety manager, trainer and trainee should have a 3 way meeting after driver has completed school and the evaluation sheet and a trainee questionnaire should be reviewed.

Improve detention pay?

My understanding is Line Haul gets $5hr after a certain time period of being delayed (2-4hours). If this is correct it is no incentive for terminals to get drivers moving.

Increase hourly pay for detention and then make it a measurable element for terminal managers on their performance. More detention paid then less freight moved and less performance. Less detention paid more freight moved and better performance.

Improve detention pay?

My understanding is Line Haul gets $5hr after a certain time period of being delayed (2-4hours). If this is correct it is no incentive for terminals to get drivers moving.

Increase hourly pay for detention and then make it a measurable element for terminal managers on their performance. More detention paid then less freight moved and less performance. Less detention paid more freight moved and better performance.

Yeah as long as OD can rob us on that they will.

There used to be an evaluation sheet at the end of training that a trainee filled out which evaluated the trainer. A 3 way meeting would be intimidating for a trainee in some ways. Many bad trainers have stayed as trainers because trainees don't realize the guy is bad until they get out into the job. They are also usually afraid of being branded a rat which is how many other drivers would look at them if a trainee told safety about their buddy.

There used to be an evaluation sheet at the end of training that a trainee filled out which evaluated the trainer. A 3 way meeting would be intimidating for a trainee in some ways. Many bad trainers have stayed as trainers because trainees don't realize the guy is bad until they get out into the job. They are also usually afraid of being branded a rat which is how many other drivers would look at them if a trainee told safety about their buddy.

That is true. I would guess as long as safety looked at it and discussed it in some way with the trainers if it were a reoccurring problem it would be fine if it were private. Good point. sometimes I just think that the trainees do not always understand that driving a truck is a step by step learning process depending on their skill level. Hey were all learning all the time, right.

Bad-detention pay,breakdown pay,more paid holidays,bunk rooms(2),some crappy motels,docks not closing out loads before driver arrives so time mangement will be usefull and not wasted,(they know your arrival time!),loaded freight onto deadlined trailers (with HOT freight),no canopies over some fuel lanes,not enough assigned trucks
Good-Trucks,trailers,dollies,insurance,most terminals,mileage pay,mileage,bossman,some decent dispatchers,home time

i personally love working for OD, I have only a couple of not really complaints but just misunderstandings...... like the whole road rescue thing I don't comprehend why you have to call a number in another state then wait for them to get a hold of someone and then wait for hours until that person shows up, when you can call the terminal and they can send someone local to come and fix the job.... I know it has alot to due with money.. but i just think that it waste alot of time.