TForce | When did retirements start?

Apostolic

TB Legend
Credits
When did companies start paying for workers that left the company to a life of ease?
I know back before the invention of the automoble.
Just the life style of the working man was work.
Chopping,and splitting wood to heat,and cook.
Taking care of their animals.
Hitching up their teams for working the fields,and transportation.

Than sometime after new inventions to make our lives easier,came around and all of our life styles changed.
Somewhere in time companies started pension plans to take care of workers with pension money.
Money that wouldn't make the company any money,but would pay for long time workers that weren't going to work anymore.

I receive the AARP news letter in the mail.

People that have retired from one carrer are either going into buisness,or starting new carrers.
So I say why retire to work somewhere else?
Also if your used to working most of your adult life,how could you retire to a life of ease?

"Can you say boring baby?"

Apostolic said:
When did companies start paying for workers that left the company to a life of ease?
I know back before the invention of the automoble.
Just the life style of the working man was work.
Chopping,and splitting wood to heat,and cook.
Taking care of their animals.
Hitching up their teams for working the fields,and transportation.

Than sometime after new inventions to make our lives easier,came around and all of our life styles changed.
Somewhere in time companies started pension plans to take care of workers with pension money.
Money that wouldn't make the company any money,but would pay for long time workers that weren't going to work anymore.

I receive the AARP news letter in the mail.

People that have retired from one carrer are either going into buisness,or starting new carrers.
So I say why retire to work somewhere else?
Also if your used to working most of your adult life,how could you retire to a life of ease?

"Can you say boring baby?"
One reason to retire and work somewhere else is because most people that have worked a life time (30-40 yrs) in one single profession would like to enjoy life a bit more. Depending on the type of work they are doing (t.t. driving) it may be more dangerous to them selves or the public as they get older. Most will want to find something of interest and that only requires minimal hours per week just to keep busy. I only have 28 years behind the wheel of a big truck. But I would love to get out of it if I could afford too. Thats why I am very Interested in the pension of the future. I can say WELCOME TO WALMART,CAN I HELP YOU!!!

lets see... retirement??

Teamster251 said:
I can think of a hundred things to do that aren't boring.

One of them is NOT DRIVING A TRUCK

Me too and 1 of them is collecting my retirement and SSI, the only truck we wanna drive after retireing fully is the 1 pulling the 5th wheel.

BusterNite said:
One reason to retire and work somewhere else is because most people that have worked a life time (30-40 yrs) in one single profession would like to enjoy life a bit more. Depending on the type of work they are doing (t.t. driving) it may be more dangerous to them selves or the public as they get older. Most will want to find something of interest and that only requires minimal hours per week just to keep busy. I only have 28 years behind the wheel of a big truck. But I would love to get out of it if I could afford too. Thats why I am very Interested in the pension of the future. I can say WELCOME TO WALMART,CAN I HELP YOU!!!

Heck I can say " would you like fries with that"

Did you know you can go to a website with fill in the blanks and it will tell you how much you will recieve at age 62 or there after and it will also tell you what you can earn on the side before they take any SSI away from you.. And what your other half will get too..
ssa.gov/retire2/

Well, my Dad retired at 63 with a good Teamster pension. He is enjoying retirement. Doing things that dont include "punching the clock"
Even though I enjoy driving the truck, I aint gonna do it anylonger than I have to. I'd much rather enjoy what time I have left with my wife, children, grand children, church activities, friends. Maby even volunteer to help with organizing drives from time to time. I'd hate to think my whole existence would revolved around a truck or punching a clock. Bring on the life of ease baby. I have a life outside of work.

My next job after retirement will NOT be working 50 to 60 hours a week at night time driving a truck.

I pland on doing something I enjoy for a change.

With my pension I will be able to afford it!!!!!

clutchcargo said:
My next job after retirement will NOT be working 50 to 60 hours a week at night time driving a truck.

I pland on doing something I enjoy for a change.

With my pension I will be able to afford it!!!!!
I hope my pension will allow me to retire within the next 5-9 years?

All good answers.
I'll be 63 this coming March,as long as my health holds up,by the grace of God.
I think I'll work till just after my 65th birthday.
See how I feel?
Than I may cash in my 20 years Teamsters credit,20 plus years of Overnite/UPS Freight,and SSI.
Or I may just keep driving untill I don't like doing it anymore.
Only time will tell.
Thanks for all of your opinions.
Its always good to get other thoughts on this subject.