Yellow | When Do You Question Leadership?

Of the 70% of the membership who voted the contract in how many were misinformed , and pressured into that vote and by whom?

There is gonna come a time when there IS no next time around.The economy is in the toilet,we have non union lines chomping at the bit to take our freight,and all I see here in nashville are guys whining and *****ing about how their job sucks and how they are not gonna do this or that because it will help the company.Guys without the company we have no job!I like my job and would love to keep it(where else can someone make this kinda money for sitting on a forklift???not to mention the free insurance and other benefits)But we laid off 8 more last friday for a total of 18 in the city,and this is only August.what is killing our company and our union is guys that seem to think that Holland owes them 60 grand a year to come in and sit around and b.s. and drink coffee all day and now management is giving our freight away.I know for a fact that last friday night a guy called dispatch because he was loaded full and told them there were 14 more skids needing to be picked up and dispatch told him to give it to someone else,we don't have anyone to come pick it up.

There is gonna come a time when there IS no next time around. The economy is in the toilet, we have non union lines chomping at the bit to take our freight, and all I see here in nashville are guys whining and *****ing about how their job sucks and how they are not gonna do this or that because it will help the company. Guys without the company we have no job! I like my job and would love to keep it (where else can someone make this kinda money for sitting on a forklift??? Not to mention the free insurance and other benefits) But we laid off 8 more last friday for a total of 18 in the city,and this is only August. What is killing our company and our union is guys that seem to think that Holland owes them 60 grand a year to come in and sit around and b.s. and drink coffee all day and now management is giving our freight away.

I agree with you about what you said completely, we laid off 3 more city guys for a total of 6 city men. Our road board still has 5 or 6 laid off too.

Make sure you read Unionist's post, about this post by you, it makes since too.

I know for a fact that last friday night a guy called dispatch because he was loaded full and told them there were 14 more skids needing to be picked up and dispatch told him to give it to someone else,we don't have anyone to come pick it up.

Now, I don't know if this is true, its just what they've told us. When we aren't allowed to pick up freight, like what happened there, its because the freight doesn't pay that well and YRC Holland don't really care if we keep the customer or not. This doesn't make since because of the J.O.M. sales pitch thing going on? Plus, I don't want Holland to loose any business but I guess they know more about the rates than I do. We have went to our TM the next day and asked why the dispatcher did this, sometimes the TM says "I don't know but I'll find out?" and other times he has told us "It doesn't pay enough to make a special trip to get it."

Try asking your TM and see what he tells you and then let us all know here.

I agree with you about what you said completely, we laid off 3 more city guys for a total of 6 city men. Our road board still has 5 or 6 laid off too.

Make sure you read Unionist's post, about this post by you, it makes since too.

Now, I don't know if this is true, its just what they've told us. When we aren't allowed to pick up freight, like what happened there, its because the freight doesn't pay that well and YRC Holland don't really care if we keep the customer or not. This doesn't make since because of the J.O.M. sales pitch thing going on? Plus, I don't want Holland to loose any business but I guess they know more about the rates than I do. We have went to our TM the next day and asked why the dispatcher did this, sometimes the TM says "I don't know but I'll find out?" and other times he has told us "It doesn't pay enough to make a special trip to get it."

Try asking your TM and see what he tells you and then let us all know here.
Regarding the "Just One More" campaign. I sure wouldn't want to ask for just one more shipment, then have to tell the customer, "Oh forget it, we don't want that shipment after all, it doesn't pay us enough.:chairshot:

The value of a good customer.

Whenever we see service failures up here (often) we use the old saying...."The value of a good customer is so overated, who needs them?":hysterical:

what is killing our company and our union is guys that seem to think that Holland owes them 60 grand a year to come in and sit around and b.s. and drink coffee all day and now management is giving our freight away.

What might need to be done at this point with members such as this is to question leadership within the rank and file , take upon yourselves and others to rectify bad apples such as these, we all have them and they are the ones who give other Union employees bad reputations, they are the ones no matter what trade , company , or job description that set bad examples and give the impression that all Union employees are like that. When we all know that a Union Employee are in general the most experienced in the field they are in and are some of the safest and knowledgeable in the field they are involved in.

The time that excuses such as a Union company can not compete with a Non Union Company because of labor and attitudes within labor need to drastically be changed , Union company's have always been viable in competition with Non Union company's because of factors I named above and we need to reinforce within our ranks the attitudes that we are the best and will continue to be the best but it takes leadership from within to get under the skin and to rectify the bad apples that are within our ranks , that takes involvement though, and it takes confrontation with our fellow Brothers and Sisters.

We all want this company and all the companies we might work for to succeed and prosper it is in our best interest as well as the companies , but sometimes it takes action on the part of members confronting other members and steeping up into a leadership role to make our success possible.

When it comes time to question leadership we have to look at all aspects of leadership, not only our locals , our internationals , but also the leadership of the companies that employ us , and those within our own ranks.

Show me the money !!!!

Of the 70% of the membership who voted the contract in how many were misinformed , and pressured into that vote and by whom?

I think I have mentioned this before, when members in this day and age approach the ballot box , they are not thinking brotherhood, they are thinking mortgage payments, car payments, the gas that goes with the car, health insurance for their family etc. etc., they were not thinking UE, they were not thinking lay-offs, in a nut shell this 70% were thinking self preservation. Now is that wrong? to the 70% it wasn't, and brother THAT IS an "overwhelming" majority and that is how it works.

To answer your question, I don't think the 70% were misinformed I just think that for the reasons stated above that there was no pressure, and they did not want to be informed. Lumpersam's opinion.

Lumpersam says:
"You can hit a brother over the head:chairshot: but you can't hit his pocket book"

Oh, by the way I like the way you write.

GBA:USA:

Show me the money !!!!

I think I have mentioned this before, when members in this day and age approach the ballot box , they are not thinking brotherhood, they are thinking
mortgage payments, car payments, the gas that goes with the car, health
insurance for their family etc. etc., they were not thinking UE, they were not thinking lay-offs, in a nut shell this 70% were not thinking BROTHERHOOD. Now is that wrong? to the 70% it wasn't, and brother THAT IS a majority and that is how it works.

To answer your question, I don't think the 70% were misinformed I just think
that for the reasons stated above they did not want to be informed.

Lumpersam always says:
"You can hit a brother over the head:chairshot: but you can't hit his pocket book"

GBA:USA:

I think I have mentioned this before, when members in this day and age approach the ballot box , they are not thinking brotherhood, they are thinking mortgage payments, car payments, the gas that goes with the car, health insurance for their family etc. etc., they were not thinking UE, they were not thinking lay-offs, in a nut shell this 70% were thinking self preservation. Now is that wrong? to the 70% it wasn't, and brother THAT IS an "overwhelming" majority and that is how it works.

To answer your question, I don't think the 70% were misinformed I just think that for the reasons stated above that there was no pressure, and they did not want to be informed. Lumpersam's opinion.

Lumpersam says:

GAB:USA:

The second thing they should have been thinking, YES, was BROTHERHOOD.

They are where they are because of BROTHERHOOD.
They make the wages they make because of BROTHERHOOD.
They have the health benefits they have because of BROTHERHOOD.
They can retire with a moderately decent pension because of BROTHERHOOD.
Their children can have those braces because of BROTHERHOOD. etc.

Therein lies the problem, they should have been thinking about ALL of our futures.
They should have been READING and ASKING QUESTIONS.

If they have half-a**ed leadership they should participate in the changes that are required to correct their leaderships shortfalls and inequities.
Not leave the hard choices up to the few and the brave.

Apathy is a deadly thing left unattended.

This Union thing requires self sacrifice from time to time so it may thrive, grow and remain strong for future generations.

If people who were not affected by the UE language could see the pitfalls as soon as they read the proposal WHY couldn't the men most directly involved/effected see it? Certainly a mystery.

Independent contractors will be the demise of this great equalizer, the Union.

They must All be educated in the "Brotherhood"

Now more than ever we have come to a impasse on questioning our leadership not only ant the local level but also at the International level , we need to keep what has gone down over the last two years and what is currently going on with the give backs on how we choose to vote in the next elections at all levels.

We need to now come together as members and change the old guard and send those that will be looking to our interests first instead of looking to political ambition in the decisions they make.

we need to start policing our membership and re instituting the values and creed that made the Teamsters of the Past as strong as they were , those that have long teeth need to start speaking to our younger and newer members and instill into them the importance of Solidarity , there are way to many Me-steers in our ranks at present and with the coming times we need to get back to our roots.

It is up to each and everyone of us to bring about that change , and change we do so desperately need and were we need to work together is at the top and to start evaluating and questioning our leadership at all levels , it is up to us to start forming committees and to start putting together slates now.

The Name recognition experiment has failed the members and it is time to send JR packing.

When do you question leadership?

Local 771/LCP, Lancaster pa. Extremely over-paid,extremely under educated and completely unethical. You can think it, but don't you dare speak it... :27:

Local 771/LCP, Lancaster pa. Extremely over-paid,extremely under educated and completely unethical. You can think it, but don't you dare speak it... :27:
I'll speak it. Tell you how screwed up that local is, called there and the lady on the message machine says "if you want the COMPANY directory...please press". I didn't know I could reach someone from Yellow there. What happened to saying "YOUR LOCAL UNION DIRECTORY"??? Thats bull****.:toxic:

I'll speak it. Tell you how screwed up that local is, called there and the lady on the message machine says "if you want the COMPANY directory...please press". I didn't know I could reach someone from Yellow there. What happened to saying "YOUR LOCAL UNION DIRECTORY"??? Thats bull****.:toxic:

Perhaps the local is getting tired of telling everybody to contact Eddie M. (TM) about everything. Never-the-less, you would think that since HALF the total income of local 771 is being paid out to the 5 people working in that office (literally) that they would be a little better then that. Then again, they've been getting paid a kings ransom now for how long to be nothing more then glorified secretaries for the company...! Intimidaters, not educators... :shades:
ashton-kutcher-punkd.jpg