Yellow | Where is the Christmas rush at?

M

metroman

Is it busy at your barn? I have not seen the usual Holiday rush as we have had in years past. I hope that the COO had something to do with it
How busy is 211,231, & 135?

metroman said:
Is it busy at your barn? I have not seen the usual Holiday rush as we have had in years past. I hope that the COO had something to do with it
How busy is 211,231, & 135?

Metroman, My feelings are that the traditional Christmas rush is a thing of the past.

"Just in time" deliveries and scaled back inventories have eliminated the huge rush of freight before the shopping season.

My service center manager (gag) is starting to threaten layoffs. Since we fired our sales dog,2nd in a year, we've seen a steady decline. Looks like I'll get a lot of ice fishing in this winter. And with 15 years seniority to boot. Sad

Time Critical City here as the amounts have increased. Little X-MAS freight but it is picking up some normally this is a heavy week as end of the end hits but October is a good indicator
so we shall see what is in store for the Harvest season.

Locally we put on a couple of former Allied drivers and hired some casuals for the dock this month. Welcome relief just in time for a layoff in a couple of months makes me wonder???

It's just a thought, but maybe the blame is right in front of you. Think hard, a little harder. Yes more and more people are using the web to do their xmas shopping. So UPS gets to profit on this, while stores just keeps shelves stock which hurts the LTL companies.

That is true gr8-1 cause the UPS & FedEx ground have been dropping hitch trailers at the mall and have hired seasonal guys that are the gophers that run those packages. Wish I could have a lumper on my run with all those inside deliveries.

screwy louiey said:
That is true gr8-1 cause the UPS & FedEx ground have been dropping hitch trailers at the mall and have hired seasonal guys that are the gophers that run those packages. Wish I could have a lumper on my run with all those inside deliveries.
Yeah ,Me too .First time this week I had under 100 stops .Let me tell you ,The small packages are getting BIGGER . I could use the help TOO!!!!!

we're running at 45% O/T as told from our TM, still offering 6th punches and our city guys are running linehaul on weekends to cover the boards when exhausted.

screwy louiey said:
we're running at 45% O/T as told from our TM, still offering 6th punches and our city guys are running linehaul on weekends to cover the boards when exhausted.
Freight has been pretty good here in Nashville.Can't remeber the last time we didn't have 6th and 7th punches working on Sat.and Sun..........But screwy here in the Southern Region we are not allowed to run for linehaul if we have a regular job in the city opp.

VA Supplement

434CFer said:
Freight has been pretty good here in Nashville.Can't remeber the last time we didn't have 6th and 7th punches working on Sat.and Sun..........But screwy here in the Southern Region we are not allowed to run for linehaul if we have a regular job in the city opp.

If the board is exhausted, then city guys can run into a break usually on the weekends or like this weekend with the end of the month. I'm out of 657 and we have some supplemental language that a city guy can cover our road bids if a rooad guy is on vacation or sick to protect our work.

Yea screwy,before the last contract we could run on the weekends too.Last winter myself and some other guys were laid-off,the company told us they would use us in linehaul as top casuals.The local(480) wanted to let this happen,but got word from Tyson Johnson this would violate the contract and told us not to do it.

I understand this may need to go to a new thread.But I would like to hear from anyone else where the city is allowed to run for linehaul on weekends.I'm curious if it was just stopped in the Southern Conf.

Here in New Hampshire, the management will post a notice for linehaul work on weekends, when they get word from the break, that their board is exhausted! Anyone can sign up !

remo williams said:
Here in New Hampshire, the management will post a notice for linehaul work on weekends, when they get word from the break, that their board is exhausted! Anyone can sign up !

Same here remo but that list is posted to have city guys sign up then sent to the break as they will call us when their board is exhausted. now with this COO the road guyz have an option to run on the weekend but they don't most of the time. Hell if the freight can't get to us then we need to get our own freight if the break doesn't run it.

434CFer said:
I understand this may need to go to a new thread.But I would like to hear from anyone else where the city is allowed to run for linehaul on weekends.I'm curious if it was just stopped in the Southern Conf.
At 671, Winston Salem, anyone with a CDL can run on their off days when the board has been exhausted. We have switchers, dock and garage guys that go out. DS.

Guess I can put this one to bed.Talked to my B.A. today he tells me as far as he knows this is just a Southern Region work rule(city not allowed to run linehaul).Told me he knew for a fact that the Central Region allows it,believes Eastern does but not sure about out west.Thanks for everyones input.

proposal idea

434CFer said:
Guess I can put this one to bed.Talked to my B.A. today he tells me as far as he knows this is just a Southern Region work rule(city not allowed to run linehaul).Told me he knew for a fact that the Central Region allows it,believes Eastern does but not sure about out west.Thanks for everyones input.

You got a proposal for the next contract for your supplemental language to request a change. Might be a good proposal with the driver shortage for you guyz that would be a win win situation in my opinion.
:deal: