XPO | Where is the leadership....get off your azz and make a command desision!!!

Its really easy to second guess the decision after the fact. The fact is if the DOT though it was safe for us to be on the road by leaving the roads open then why should we second guess them? You guys are "proffesional" drivers and are expected to be able to safely operate in all kinds of weather conditions. If we shut down everytime there was a storm we would have entire weeks where freight didn't move. Ask the guys in UDV, USU and URE how often they drive over mountain passes in blizzard conditions and safely make it home. Now maybe they should have made the decision, maybe not. If you can't handle a little bit of weather you need to be in a different proffesion. Regardless even if they did someone would be bitchin they canceled their run.

You are quarterbacking from the sofa there White Shirt. People who have never done the job should not be criticizing those who have. If your drivers think its not safe, that should be the end of it.

You are quarterbacking from the sofa there White Shirt. People who have never done the job should not be criticizing those who have. If your drivers think its not safe, that should be the end of it.
I'm not criticizing you or any driver. Simply stating my opinion on the easyness of making the decision. I'll never be able to get my intentions across on an internet message board with simply typing them so I'll stop now.

I'm not criticizing you or any driver. Simply stating my opinion on the easyness of making the decision. I'll never be able to get my intentions across on an internet message board with simply typing them so I'll stop now.

Thats a good idea. You said that drivers who don't want to drive in hazardous conditions should consider another profession. That sounds like criticism to me.

Its really easy to second guess the decision after the fact. The fact is if the DOT though it was safe for us to be on the road by leaving the roads open then why should we second guess them? You guys are "proffesional" drivers and are expected to be able to safely operate in all kinds of weather conditions. If we shut down everytime there was a storm we would have entire weeks where freight didn't move. Ask the guys in UDV, USU and URE how often they drive over mountain passes in blizzard conditions and safely make it home. Now maybe they should have made the decision, maybe not. If you can't handle a little bit of weather you need to be in a different proffesion. Regardless even if they did someone would be bitchin they canceled their run.

In this case it's not hindsight 20/20, can you look at the radar?? The interstate being open doesn't have anything to do with DOT, you might want to check your facts on that. I know a state cop, you can chose to belive me or not, but I have asked him why are the interstates open when it's a solid sheet of ice? He said because getting the GOVERNER, not DOT to order the interstate to be shut down, is very very hard to do. He said the GOVERNER takes alot of heat when he gives the order to shut down the section of interstate that runs through his state. From BIG BUSINESS and THE FEDERAL GOVERMENT. That statement if you can't handle a little bit of weather you need to be in a different proffession is outright insulting. Especially comeing from somebody that pushes a pencil around all day in a climate controlled office.

I don't like to insult somebody white shirt, but that's an insult when you said "if you can't handle a little bit of weather you need to be in a different proffesion". The only thing you said that I agree with in that entire post was it's easy to second guess a decision and hindsight is 20/20. The rest of it is typical management nonsence. From reading all the post's on here, your not going to win this argument.....:coffee1: And I don't think you would have anybody bitchin if they cancelled the run's when there is an ice storm that had been hitting all day and wrecks everwhere....well I'm sure there would be that one guy, there is alway's one in the crowd.

If your drivers think its not safe, that should be the end of it.

It is. All you need to do is call Linehaul and tell them it's not safe to proceed. They will tell you to either find a hotel, or head back to your service center if you can. Your only problem will be with your SCM if everyone else made the run you claimed wasn't safe

The FOS has the authority also. I've made the decision a few times. Typically if the road is still open we will attempt the run. Safety is always a concern along with servicing the customers freight.
Customers freight then safety first truth be told.