TForce | Where to start

kardon

TB Lurker
Credits
What is it like working for UPS freights as a city delivery driver? esp in wa
Could someone get overtime or extra work and whats their pay like?
Do you do dock work or is it hook and deliver?
Is the benefits comparable to a company like Yellow freight that is union?
Would you opt for ups Starting wage $18 or yellows 16$
Any additional info would be great, i have an interview with ups and yellow comming up and any info would be helpful

I would choose UPS Freight over Yellow. I am a city driver at UPSF in South Holland, Illinois.. I can say that the FIRST day I started as a city driver, I was on a set shift (monday-friday 9am start)-- I have never been bumped from my start time, or laid off. -- I work at a major hub, so the hours are available most of the time.

Yellow has a call list/10%er list that you will be on for SEVERAL years before you get a set shift. You will be doing everything no-one else wants. You probably won't see daylight while you are working for several years..

The UPS Freight/Indianapolis terminal is very close to a Teamster contract. The other terminals in the system will be given a choice to be represented or not in the near future--

The choice is up to you...

NO-- not all UPSF dockworkers are part-time..

When I first started, 70-75% of our dock was part-time.. Full-Time was a merit promotion, based on performance. Now it goes by seniority.

Probably around 60% of our dock is full-time now. I work at a major hub, and I am not sure how the 'end of the line' terminals go..

We have had more than a couple dockworkers transfer from Chicago to South Holland-- just because you will get a Full-Time position faster.

All the dock workers at my terminal are fultime.
They were hired in as part time dock then fultime,before Overnite changed that policy.
After the change to have dockworkers without CDL's declared part time regardless of how many hour they worked.
I think instead of forcing them to get their CDL's.
Overnite thought that if they saw they could be fultime only after they got their CDL's this would be the insentive for them to comply?

So even if dockworkers without CDL's work mega hours they are still getting part time pay,and benefits,including time off.

When they get a CDL they can jump up to fultime,pay benefits,and time off,as well as senority over the rest of the dock workers.

I would choose UPS Freight over Yellow. I am a city driver at UPSF in South Holland, Illinois.. I can say that the FIRST day I started as a city driver, I was on a set shift (monday-friday 9am start)-- I have never been bumped from my start time, or laid off. -- I work at a major hub, so the hours are available most of the time.

Yellow has a call list/10%er list that you will be on for SEVERAL years before you get a set shift. You will be doing everything no-one else wants. You probably won't see daylight while you are working for several years..

The UPS Freight/Indianapolis terminal is very close to a Teamster contract. The other terminals in the system will be given a choice to be represented or not in the near future--

i work for yellow and i was able to get a set bid about half way through my first year. it was an 8:00am start monday - friday. kardon, i'd try to track down people who work at those 2 terminals and see what they have to say rather than get my information on a messageboard. not all terminals are run the same. good luck!!!

Very Close To A Contract

VERY CLOSE TO A CONTRACT ???????????

Please share with this board where you are getting your information from..................

I myself find a lot of good information on the truckingboards.
You've just got to weed out the good from the bad,thats all!