Holland | Where's the freight?

"SCAB"hater

TB Lurker
Credits
They keep hiring drivers but yet 3 out of the last 4 weeks I've literally ran one round and sat home the rest of the week. Last week was the firs time in over a month I actually got decent miles. Holland keeps saying they have to hire drivers, but yet Raleigh has 6 guys laid off (1 of them when he left orientation), and when a driver goes out and gets sent home, he's toast for the remainder of the week. I know it's a seasonal thing, and it only lasts MAYBE a month and a half, but I have a family to support.

They keep hiring drivers but yet 3 out of the last 4 weeks I've literally ran one round and sat home the rest of the week. Last week was the firs time in over a month I actually got decent miles. Holland keeps saying they have to hire drivers, but yet Raleigh has 6 guys laid off (1 of them when he left orientation), and when a driver goes out and gets sent home, he's toast for the remainder of the week. I know it's a seasonal thing, and it only lasts MAYBE a month and a half, but I have a family to support.
It is ridiculous, just a waste of our 15%,And yet they want you to have a good attitude

It is ridiculous, just a waste of our 15%,And yet they want you to have a good attitude
You know, it's very hard to have a good attitude when you see them constantly hiring drivers and they're getting plenty of miles while you're sitting home because of the "home load" clause and you ran one load but the new drivers are getting ran around like chicken with their heads cut off cause they are at 85% of the 85% (making major bank off those guys)

City Driver's is what they need to hire , and nobody want's to work on our -10 below loading docks so freight sits ,till midnight or later before line haul is leaving !

Welcome to freight hauling. Run hard in summer save extra bennies on those 6&7 day weeks. That money helps when it slow and seniority is low. Base bills off guaranteed money 8/40 a week and you never be living beyond your means. Never base check off spring/summer pay.

You know, it's very hard to have a good attitude when you see them constantly hiring drivers and they're getting plenty of miles while you're sitting home because of the "home load" clause and you ran one load but the new drivers are getting ran around like chicken with their heads cut off cause they are at 85% of the 85% (making major bank off those guys)
You want that home load when we heavy right?

Maybe you should quit and come back in two weeks as a new hire. Stupid union rules sometimes they help you and sometimes they don't.

Maybe you should quit and come back in two weeks as a new hire. Stupid union rules sometimes they help you and sometimes they don't.
How do you figure work that was fought hard for by the previous generation?
Like I told him you can't bank on those summer paychecks to continue all year long especially when you run out of a EOL terminal.

They have to keep the future yes voters employed. Like one said to me, he can't believe he's making all this money just to drive a truck. And he's a limited experience guy so wait until he gets his thirty and goes to over 17.00 bucks an hour. Wow who needs a union?

They have to keep the future yes voters employed. Like one said to me, he can't believe he's making all this money just to drive a truck. And he's a limited experience guy so wait until he gets his thirty and goes to over 17.00 bucks an hour. Wow who needs a union?
I think the guy who is 62 and needs one more contract to retire is a lot easier YES vote than the newby who has very little to lose.

I think the guy who is 62 and needs one more contract to retire is a lot easier YES vote than the newby who has very little to lose.
Yup good point too. I had forgotten about that. I know a few retirees who voted and then retired. As one said "What do i care? I'm out of here". I have to forgive that. What else can he do.The days of living by and for your principles are long gone. The new hire is ignorant. At my barn, the new hires get little pep talks and coaching sessions from our night ops guy. He's their buddy and they can come to him with any questions about "union bullS$%^" Hopefully, the ops guy gets the TM job that's open and 30, 60, 90 days later he's walked out like the last 3.
We're trying to talk to the new guys, we've made a little progress with a few but we have one new guy who is going to be a problem. He says he isn't joining and no one is going to make him. He doesn't need any "protection". I hereby return the thread.

Yup good point too. I had forgotten about that. I know a few retirees who voted and then retired. As one said "What do i care? I'm out of here". I have to forgive that. What else can he do.The days of living by and for your principles are long gone. The new hire is ignorant. At my barn, the new hires get little pep talks and coaching sessions from our night ops guy. He's their buddy and they can come to him with any questions about "union bullS$%^" Hopefully, the ops guy gets the TM job that's open and 30, 60, 90 days later he's walked out like the last 3.
We're trying to talk to the new guys, we've made a little progress with a few but we have one new guy who is going to be a problem. He says he isn't joining and no one is going to make him. He doesn't need any "protection". I hereby return the thread.

See I don't get that. Why would anyone work at a union shop and not join the union? That'S just asking for a crapload more headache than it's worth.

He will wish he had that protection one day. Hope he goes and gets his own healthcare.

Oh so you believe they run new hires harder than who's been here AWHILE?

Yeah, I ain't doing that. And to clarify what Troublman84 said, NO I DO NOT want the homeload now or when it's busy. When you get that home load, whether when it's busy or slow, you cut yourself out of potential
Miles that you COULD have ran. Only time I care to see a home load is on Saturday night or when I have a vacation coming up the next day. Look at like this: you get to a terminal at 5am and go to bed, get called back around 5-7pm and are given a homeload of say 420 miles, Jr guy comes in right behind you at 5:03am and he gets a 620 mile run because you got the Homeload. Does he not get an extra 200 miles because he's the Jr driver? When it's slow, as it is now, you get "home" and are done, and likely to not get back out while he's now 2 dispatches from home and likely won't see home until Saturday or Sunday. Yeah it sucks, it sucks worse to see them keep hiring drivers at an EOL terminal when they can't get guys back out once they get back home. .

Yeah, I ain't doing that. And to clarify what Troublman84 said, NO I DO NOT want the homeload now or when it's busy. When you get that home load, whether when it's busy or slow, you cut yourself out of potential
Miles that you COULD have ran. Only time I care to see a home load is on Saturday night or when I have a vacation coming up the next day. Look at like this: you get to a terminal at 5am and go to bed, get called back around 5-7pm and are given a homeload of say 420 miles, Jr guy comes in right behind you at 5:03am and he gets a 620 mile run because you got the Homeload. Does he not get an extra 200 miles because he's the Jr driver? When it's slow, as it is now, you get "home" and are done, and likely to not get back out while he's now 2 dispatches from home and likely won't see home until Saturday or Sunday. Yeah it sucks, it sucks worse to see them keep hiring drivers at an EOL terminal when they can't get guys back out once they get back home. .
Better learn to work that preference sheet to get away from terminals that give you home loads.