ABF | White city trucks?

I have heard through the rumor mill, that the company is planning on using temporary driver type companies in some areas.

Temporary drivers?...the only "temporary" drivers allowed in the contract are casual/preferred casual drivers.........Providing equipment for an outside contractor to use with "temporarys" would violate the new contract, in spite of the purchased transportation/all-local-driver-working provisions. To prove there is no conflict of interest or potential "kickback",...ABF would have to contract with a completely independent contractor to handle overflows. Any purchase of equipment for an outside entity to move overflow freight would negate ABF's position that they are losing money....in other words, they are lying about their financial state, and are going to take advantage of a small opening in the contractual language to subvert the contract. That would not be "bargaining in good faith",....especially if they are buying this equipment BEFORE the contract is ratified. If this is the case....should we trust the IBT to.....ummm.....handle this as a grievance?....Or should whichever terminal that actually has this problem develop, bypass the IBT and go directly to an arbitrator?

We had Panther picking up TimeKeeper freight 3 times in the last 2 weeks at our barn! Let the bleeding begin Brothers!

nothing would surprise me, panther has been violating oue existing contract since ABC purchased.

The purchase of used equipment for ABF to use is a new practice in at least 20 years and I don't see it as a good sign. I still remember when Yellow first bought American Freightways' old tractors and painted the exterior swamp holly orange but left the cab red on the inside. Talk about a clash! We see what's happened there since that day.

Our TM told me that that the used rentals were for the city operation and that our terminal would be getting two of them to replace two older trucks. When I talked to a shop supervisor he said that they would stay white with the ABF decals.

Our TM told me that that the used rentals were for the city operation and that our terminal would be getting two of them to replace two older trucks. When I talked to a shop supervisor he said that they would stay white with the ABF decals.
It will make the yrc decal look better by transitioning everything to white if welch goes ahead and buys abf

Oh Good Grief!...Are you back here again to metaphysically poke us in the collective eye with your grubby little finger?....Are you sneering at us?....Is this funny to you?....We're trying to maintain an adult attitude here......there are quite a few other clown sites where your snide, insulting commentary would fit right in,....as long as you keep it to words of two syllables...Oh, well...down in the sewer we go....As long as you're here...How's your new job going? Did they give you the key to the executive washroom yet?

Oh Good Grief!...Are you back here again to metaphysically poke us in the collective eye with your grubby little finger?....Are you sneering at us?....Is this funny to you?....We're trying to maintain an adult attitude here......there are quite a few other clown sites where your snide, insulting commentary would fit right in,....as long as you keep it to words of two syllables...Oh, well...down in the sewer we go....As long as you're here...How's your new job going? Did they give you the key to the executive washroom yet?

Watch the big words that you are using, he cannot understand them. He is busy trying to pound that square peg into the round hole while trying to eat his favorite crayon ,all at the same time !!

This is not a good thing. I knew there was no money budgeted for new road equipment this year. The only time in my memory the company didn't update road equipment was during the Carolina/Worldway acquisition because there were new tractors being put in service at Carolina. There are some old tractors by ABF standards in the city fleet now. These will probably replace some of those. In the past ABF sold used tractors to other freightlines. I don't remember the company ever buying used tractors.

This is not a good thing. I knew there was no money budgeted for new road equipment this year. The only time in my memory the company didn't update road equipment was during the Carolina/Worldway acquisition because there were new tractors being put in service at Carolina. There are some old tractors by ABF standards in the city fleet now. These will probably replace some of those. In the past ABF sold used tractors to other freightlines. I don't remember the company ever buying used tractors.
In a casual conversation with a diesel mechanic, he stated that there was a trend to buy and fix older trucks to avoid the newer troublesome emissions equipment on the new trucks. Could this have been a factor in their decision to buy used trucks?

One of the road team members, whom I trust, read me an email he received from the VP of purchasing in Fort Smith that ABF has purchased 50 daycab tractors from Ryder to replace older city tractors that have over 900,000 miles. Usually this is done with retired road tractors but since ABF purchased only one road tractor this year, the company is looking into other options.

How many companys did the buy in the last few years? You answered your own question....

In a casual conversation with a diesel mechanic, he stated that there was a trend to buy and fix older trucks to avoid the newer troublesome emissions equipment on the new trucks. Could this have been a factor in their decision to buy used trucks?
No doubt. ABF is managing expenses.