TForce | Who are Teamsters for a Democratic Union?

They are an organization built up from drivers, dockworkers Ect. to help reform the Brotherhood of Teamsters. As in any membership, everyone has there own opinions and you can't believe everything you read.

They are an organization built up from drivers, dockworkers Ect. to help reform the Brotherhood of Teamsters. As in any membership, everyone has there own opinions and you can't believe everything you read.

It is the only place I can get any information out west. We are kept in the dark.

Ok thanks busternite for your explanation, but like skeeter says, they seem to be my best source for info. Knowledge is POWER. The more we know, the more we can accomplish.

Ok thanks busternite for your explanation, but like skeeter says, they seem to be my best source for info. Knowledge is POWER. The more we know, the more we can accomplish.

I like this quote: "If you don't know learn, If you do know teach"

The Right to Vote
In 1985, TDU launched a national right to vote petition to put pressure on the Teamster leadership to hold elections for national officers. Volunteers gathered signatures at worksites across the country. The petition, with tens of thousands of signatures, was presented to the 1986 Teamster convention. At the convention, TDU delegates supported a resolution for direct election of IBT officials, which was voted down.

When the RICO suit was announced, TDU National Organizer Ken Paff wrote the United States Attorney General saying “there is only one ‘reorganization’ under RICO that the government can effectively take: namely, to direct the IBT to hold rank-and-file elections”.

On March 13, 1989, the Justice Department reached an agreement with the IBT to settle the RICO suit. It established a court supervised Independent Review Board to clean out corruption. Most important, it provided for the direct election of Teamster officers. TDU’s position against government trusteeship and for the right to vote had prevailed. The Wall Street Journal reported that “the terms of the settlement were greatly influenced by the concerns and platform of Teamsters for a Democratic Union.”

Rank-and-file Teamsters had won the right to vote. Now they were going to use it

Read here for more