Yellow | Who are we going to believe ?

imported_lazylarry

TB Lurker
Credits
This is almost like listening to politicians. It comes down to who you want to believe. The 'conspiracy' theory where the company is so out to screw us over and is just trying to ruin this excellent job with horrible pay and poor working conditions or.....the company is struggling and needs a break. Well Im no supervisor or manager but let me tell you from a 12 year man at a small terminal Ive seen our freight inbound and outbound disappear over the last few years. We've doubled our area and use less drivers to cover it. We used to load 4 pups a night now we have a hard time getting 1. (with extra territory !!) I am a die hard lover of the Teamsters Union and it pains me so say this but I am convinced that if we dont vote yes and give Yellow some flexibility the guys in the smaller barns will be out of work before this contract is over. I believe our Union reps are steering us right when they urge us to vote yes !! Where the hell else will you earn this kind of money with these bennies ? Im living fat, lets not put ourselves out of work.

The problem is the IBT hasn't done it's job, they haven't spend the money or the time to organize the non-union company's, so now they want you to lower your standard's.If you lower your standard's there will be no reason for the non-union co. to join the union.There is also language in the new contract about if you are from a MNFA CO. an loose your job you will start at 90%, than one year go to 100%,sounds you the union knows something, big R going down. Now you have to worry about your penison,ABF pulls out, in the next 10 years you may have a ratio of 5to1 or more withdrawing form the fund,RED ZONE!!also lazylarry sound like your from VT. there's nothing left there,thanks NFTA

I will tell you this LL, I am in your ballpark on this. I have been in the Teamsters since 1972 and I have not seen a tentative voted down in those years.
I've talked to a lot of workers in plants in our area with other unions and each one has advised me to take this contract because of the simple fact that we are still not having to pay any of our ins. and pensions. Some of them are paying up to $600.00 or more per month just on their ins.
I would have bet the bank that we would have had to pay some of our ins. and/or pension on this contract, but we didn't!!!

contract

If things are as bad as YRCW would have us believe and we give them these givebacks they want, then what? Do you think when things are better they will give us what we deserve? Poor management does not require givebacks. It requires new management. To many Teamsters have to many bills and only care for themselves. Being a Teamsters once had meaning and pride. I say it's time to be proud again.
Remember this corporation has many companies and can move freight around to make things look bad. Stop being scared and be a Teamster and remember what Brotherhood is about.

Well Jarhead, like I said that I have been a Teamster since 1972 and I will tell you this - I remember how it was to be a Teamster 30 plus years ago when the guys all stuck together. I also see how it is now that we have all these young bucks. These young guys will stab you in the back in a heartbeat just to get ahead and they will even side with management against the older guys. They are afraid to file a grievance because "it might make them mad at me".

So you if won't the members to stand up and fight for what the union represents then you need to speak to the ones that will stick a knife in your back with one hand and shake the bosses hand with the other.:USA::USA::USA::USA:

If things are as bad as YRCW would have us believe and we give them these givebacks they want, then what? Do you think when things are better they will give us what we deserve? Poor management does not require givebacks. It requires new management. To many Teamsters have to many bills and only care for themselves. Being a Teamsters once had meaning and pride. I say it's time to be proud again.
Remember this corporation has many companies and can move freight around to make things look bad. Stop being scared and be a Teamster and remember what Brotherhood is about.

The other legs of YRCW are also getting there butts kicked. New Penn is at an all time low and Roadway has huge layoffs. If there 'hiding' so much freight on us then why dont you find it for me ? When they start merging little barns into big barns 150 miles from your home...now we'll see who the Teamsters are because all the low dogs with just a little time in the pension will just find new work.I think 99% of this board is Road Drivers who actually have no idea what it looks like out there on 'ground floor' of pick-up and delivering freight. Our 'rows' of freight at the pick-ups are getting smaller and CCX and FedEx and UPS are all getting bigger. Im not going to keep whining because no matter what I will land on my feet wherever I end up, but if you tie the hands of this company up they wont be able to keep profitable. I hope I dont have to say "I told you so'. This is just my opinion. I have all the respect to yours. If I was at UPS right now Id be the biggest union hard-*** you ever saw, but we're 1/20 th and not nearly as rich. Its amazing Yellow can even offer the same pension and bennies. I say dont bite the hand that feeds.

This is almost like listening to politicians. It comes down to who you want to believe. The 'conspiracy' theory where the company is so out to screw us over and is just trying to ruin this excellent job with horrible pay and poor working conditions or.....the company is struggling and needs a break. Well Im no supervisor or manager but let me tell you from a 12 year man at a small terminal Ive seen our freight inbound and outbound disappear over the last few years. We've doubled our area and use less drivers to cover it. We used to load 4 pups a night now we have a hard time getting 1. (with extra territory !!) I am a die hard lover of the Teamsters Union and it pains me so say this but I am convinced that if we dont vote yes and give Yellow some flexibility the guys in the smaller barns will be out of work before this contract is over. I believe our Union reps are steering us right when they urge us to vote yes !! Where the hell else will you earn this kind of money with these bennies ? Im living fat, lets not put ourselves out of work.

Think of it this way; How many times have you heard from Bush, he isn't breaking the law or a congressional mandate because of this loophole or that loophole!!!

How many times have you gotten pooched by YRC and been told "Well morally your right but the contract doesn't protect against that"?

Would you accept anything the contract says at face value? You notice it is cut and dry in their direction, but very open to interpretation in ours? Think that was intentional?

Notice how the details started to filter out from the "Marble palace" AFTER everybody started telling them that they were insane.....if a UE won't do this or won't do that, they have the duty to lock it up in the language, not wait until 6 months down the road sending it to some bureaucratic committe that was created to solve problems.....how much are you willing to bet that these hearings will be held in Myrtle Beach or Orlando or some other temperate destination? How many times have you seen grievances go to the panel only to be told "thanks for coming, we settled this last night at happy hour?...." For all that it's worth, I hope nobody takes this at face value. If not, I have a bunch of useless crap I want to sell you guys on ebay.....my screen name is going to be "JOBLESS1"