TForce | Who knows about the Smith Driver training?

Apostolic

TB Legend
Credits
I guess this is what my TM wants me to learn?
I found their web site.
It looks like theres a lot to it?

Does anyone on the trucking boards know about this?
Or has anyone gone through it?

My TM has been very secertive about this whole thing?

The only thing I can figure he wants me to be trained to be our terminals trainer?

I've come in on my own time (With no pay) on weekends over the years to teach people how to drive,from my experence.

Hey I'm a nice guy what can I say.

All these truck driving schools only teach how to get a license,after that everything is experence.

But anyway I tryed everything I knew to back out of this trip to Pittsburg.

I even told him the training would be wasted on me,because I'm only planing on working till age 65,2 &1/2 years from now.

I also asked what in the world am I going to learn after driving for a living going into my 44th year?

He says its required training by UPS.

What a crock doesn't this parent company of ours have better ways of spending their money?

Oh well I'm going to have truckingboard withdrawels all week starting August 14th.

I was hoping someone on the boards could give me the heads up on what I'm walking into?

You all know me,I'll even except the funny comments for this thread.

I'll just have to weed out the good stuff.

The Smith System is an organized way to present what we as truck drivers have been or supposed to have been doing all along.

Its primary key is "space cushion" driving. The Smith System is based on time between vehicles, not car lengths. I believe it is four seconds between the back of the vehicle in front of you and the front of yours. My employer has extended that an extra two seconds.

Additional emphasis is placed on not placing your vehicle in a position as to have to make sudden evasive maneuvers. For example, when driving down a three lane road the best choice is to use the middle lane until it is necessary to move over to make a turn. The reason is that the right lane is where traffic enters and leaves the roadway. Busses often stop to load and unload passengers, etc.

The biggest thing I learned was that I wasn't looking far enough down the road. The Smith system teaches looking 15 seconds down the road. This gives the driver sufficient time to observe and make corrective manuvers before the situation becomes critical.

If you use the five keys it becomes easy to put into practice:

Aim High in Steering
Get the Big Picture
Keep your eyes moving
Leave yourself an out
Make sure they see you.

Hope this helps

Thanks a lot for your kindness Brother Trucker.

I never know what responces I'll get when I start a thread on the boards?
But to get all your good information right off is a real blessing.

I know how to drive after all my years as a P & D Driver.

I don't need five keys?

Just one to turn the motor on.

But seriously.
My way of driving is to be well rested.
Always be focused on your surroundings,and the length of your equipment.

I never counted seconds though I always go by speed,and road conditions to how much distance I have between me and the next vehicle.
I never tailgate,regardless if people keep taking my space away by driving in front of me from another lane.
I just back off all the more.

I always stay within 5 miles an hour of the posted speed limit unless theres a lot of traffic,than I go with the traffic flow,as not to impeed the flow.

My way of thinking maybe old fashion,but it still works good for me.

My motto is that its always faster to go slower than to make out an accident report.

Also in the winter months,the faster it snows the slower I goes.

I guess I'm going to have a lot to learn,with Smith, even though I thought I already knew everything?
So thanks again Brother Trucker for the heads up!

Don't think as a lot to learn. Consider it as a refinement of what you already have, a minor tweaking perhaps. Also, I have found that the "ride" as we have called it around here helps one to see in a more concious fashion what we already knew.

If you are too old to learn are you really alive?

If you want to learn the Smith System...watch any UPS feeder driver...watch their speed, their following distance, their infrequency of lane changes...and notice how few you will ever see involved in a wreck.

I learned the Smith System 6 years ago at M.S. Carriers when it was a very new program, and they were one of the first to embrace it. It really boils down to common sense...something too many drivers lack.

AF started using the smith system and now FXFE. But sorry to say when I see some of our drivers on the road its easily said that they do not retain much. I am far from being perfect. But some of you guys need to think about the consequences.:TR10driving03:
Apo it's worth watching the video's:USA: .

Yes I'm with you Pompano on that also as a FXF driver I have seen a few of our guys do some dang stupid stuff out on the big road.
The Smith system is a good thing but it is probably nothing you as a good driver do not already know Ap.
Brother Trucker you did some excellent posting here thank you .
Smokestack

Hey Pompano you do a good job around here too brother.
It is always good to see you around.

At rdwy, we go through the smith system training every two years. Gotta tell you, although some think its a joke, its really a good refresher course of what you know, makes you think of the things you could improve on, and all around helps you get The Big Picture.
Besides, its a 8hr payday for a couple hrs work.

The biggest,and also the dumbest thing a trucker does..

that I see on our expressways is tailgating.
Whenever I see loaded three axle dump trucks with there back tires buldging and tail gating,or a big California condo twin screw with a 53 foot trailer in the hammer lane.
My heart skips a beat,I can only say Lord have mercy on these drivers.

I think a tailgater is like someone standing directly behind someone else while standing on marbles with a loaded double barrel sawed off shot gun with both fingers on the triggers.

I for one am all for any training all new truck drivers should have before they are turned loose on our nations highways.

I know that most truck driving schools only teach enough to pass the CDL driving test to receive a license,after that its all experience.

The thing is if your young and looking for adventure driving the big riggs,than you better be aware of how you could not only end your life,or mess yourself up,but also you are able to take other people with you,just by losing your focus for as little as one split second.
Yes traninig is a good thing (10-4)