SAIA | Who owns SAIA ?

steercrazee

TB Veteran
Credits
Is SAIA owned by same people who owned Yellow? Been hearing some chatter about it and was wondering if that's so does the put SAIA in any drama from the Yellow bankruptcy? Just chatter don't know if it means anything or nothing at all.

Sa!a was purchased (along with Jevic) then spun off as stand alone company. It is publicly traded on NASDAQ. Zollar’s SIL was CEO until yearish ago, still on BOD. Asked & answered few times. Company history available @Saia.com. Additionally, Saia is not an acronym, it is the founder’s name, therefore not all caps.

• Saia was founded in 1924 when Louis Saia, Sr., a produce dealer in Houma, LA, decided there was more to be made in delivering produce than selling it. Our first "truck" was the family car with the rear seats removed.
  • Over the next 45 years, Saia continued to expand, establishing terminals throughout Louisiana and Texas. By 1986, Saia was one of the largest regional LTL carriers in the country, with 23 terminals across five Southeastern states, approximately 1000 employees, and over $50 million in revenue.
  • In 2007, Saia announced the acquisitions of The Connection Company of Columbus, OH, and Madison Freight Systems Inc., based in Waunakee, WI. That same year, we also had over a billion dollars in gross revenue for the first time in our history.
  • In 2012, Saia expanded our capabilities beyond LTL with the purchase of The Robart Companies, a Georgia-based firm that provides non-asset based truckload service and third-party logistics.
  • Saia acquired LinkEx Inc., a diversified, asset-light 3PL based in Dallas, Texas, in 2015.
  • Today, Saia's operates 194 terminals across the country and employs nearly 13,000 people. Through our network of partners, we provide service to Alaska and Hawaii, plus Puerto Rico, Canada and Mexico. Our operating service groups, Saia Logistics Services and LinkEx, provide complete transportation and logistics solutions.
  • https://saia.com/about-us/company-overview

Sa!a was purchased (along with Jevic) then spun off as stand alone company. It is publicly traded on NASDAQ. Zollar’s SIL was CEO until yearish ago, still on BOD. Asked & answered few times. Company history available @Saia.com. Additionally, Saia is not an acronym, it is the founder’s name, therefore not all caps.
When Yellow first filed I had to go through explaining this very thing to a coworker....he found some article from the 90's saying Yellow owned them.....I had to point out that it also says Zollars was CEO of yeller and that was long ago....sometimes when explaining things to the dense, I feel like calling Smoke and have him kick me in the nuts.....that's how painful it is at times....

When Yellow first filed I had to go through explaining this very thing to a coworker....he found some article from the 90's saying Yellow owned them.....I had to point out that it also says Zollars was CEO of yeller and that was long ago....sometimes when explaining things to the dense, I feel like calling Smoke and have him kick me in the nuts.....that's how painful it is at times....
You may have better luck baptizing a monkey than explaining to some, just a thought.

• Saia was founded in 1924 when Louis Saia, Sr., a produce dealer in Houma, LA, decided there was more to be made in delivering produce than selling it. Our first "truck" was the family car with the rear seats removed.
  • Over the next 45 years, Saia continued to expand, establishing terminals throughout Louisiana and Texas. By 1986, Saia was one of the largest regional LTL carriers in the country, with 23 terminals across five Southeastern states, approximately 1000 employees, and over $50 million in revenue.
  • In 2007, Saia announced the acquisitions of The Connection Company of Columbus, OH, and Madison Freight Systems Inc., based in Waunakee, WI. That same year, we also had over a billion dollars in gross revenue for the first time in our history.
  • In 2012, Saia expanded our capabilities beyond LTL with the purchase of The Robart Companies, a Georgia-based firm that provides non-asset based truckload service and third-party logistics.
  • Saia acquired LinkEx Inc., a diversified, asset-light 3PL based in Dallas, Texas, in 2015.
  • Today, Saia's operates 194 terminals across the country and employs nearly 13,000 people. Through our network of partners, we provide service to Alaska and Hawaii, plus Puerto Rico, Canada and Mexico. Our operating service groups, Saia Logistics Services and LinkEx, provide complete transportation and logistics solutions.
Boy, was I mistaken! I heard it all started when some doctor said "Open your mouth and said, say ah"

The shares of stock available on the NYSE , are ‘common’ shares of stock. The ‘stockholders’ ie; the board of directors, they own ‘preferred’ shares of stock. Those stockholders, are the ‘owners’ of the company. The people who own shares of a company that are bought and sold on the NYSE, are actually loaning money to a company by buying those shares, in exchange for a dividend(hopefully), kinda like getting paid interest only on money you lend out, hopefully in the future the value of that common share increases, so it can be sold for more than it was bought for.

The shares of stock available on the NYSE , are ‘common’ shares of stock. The ‘stockholders’ ie; the board of directors, they own ‘preferred’ shares of stock. Those stockholders, are the ‘owners’ of the company. The people who own shares of a company that are bought and sold on the NYSE, are actually loaning money to a company by buying those shares, in exchange for a dividend(hopefully), kinda like getting paid interest only on money you lend out, hopefully in the future the value of that common share increases, so it can be sold for more than it was bought for.
Wow, you couldn't be more wrong. Common shares and preferred shares both represent ownership of a company. Preferred shares have a higher priority in a bankruptcy and don't usually have voting rights which common shareholders do. Preferred shares have slight bond characteristics because their dividends are somewhat fixed. And you are totally wrong about the company getting money when common shares are bought and sold on the stock market. The only time the company gets money is when shares are first issued by the company in an IPO, an initial public offering. After that buying and selling doesn't involve the company at all. Board of directors can own either common or preferred shares. Educate yourself a little.

Wow, you couldn't be more wrong. Common shares and preferred shares both represent ownership of a company. Preferred shares have a higher priority in a bankruptcy and don't usually have voting rights which common shareholders do. Preferred shares have slight bond characteristics because their dividends are somewhat fixed. And you are totally wrong about the company getting money when common shares are bought and sold on the stock market. The only time the company gets money is when shares are first issued by the company in an IPO, an initial public offering. After that buying and selling doesn't involve the company at all. Board of directors can own either common or preferred shares. Educate yourself a little.
I was speaking in very, very, broad generalities. So broad my posting lost its way. Thank you for the clarification.

I was speaking in very, very, broad generalities. So broad my posting lost its way. Thank you for the clarification.
Broad generalities not necessarily a problem, inaccurate broad generalities might be though. :smile new:

Exactly how do I loan the company money when I buy a stock? The company does not get the money that I pay for the shares.

You left out the part about Preston buying them . Then yellow bought Preston and got Saia. They split Preston and Saia, spun Preston off then closed them, some years later spun Saia off.

I ran a Google Search and found the following:

According to CNNMoney.com, the following are some of Saia's largest shareholders:

• Capital Research & Management Co: 10.96% stake
  • The Vanguard Group, Inc.: 9.19% stake
  • BlackRock Fund Advisors: 8.07% stake
  • T. Rowe Price Associates, Inc.: 7.61% stake
Other large shareholders include:

• Capital International Investors
  • SMCWX - SMALLCAP WORLD FUND
Other major holders of Saia stock include:

• Werner Enterprises, Inc.
  • Marten Transport, Ltd.
  • Landstar System, Inc.

I ran a Google Search and found the following:

According to CNNMoney.com, the following are some of Saia's largest shareholders:

• Capital Research & Management Co: 10.96% stake
  • The Vanguard Group, Inc.: 9.19% stake
  • BlackRock Fund Advisors: 8.07% stake
  • T. Rowe Price Associates, Inc.: 7.61% stake
Other large shareholders include:

• Capital International Investors
  • SMCWX - SMALLCAP WORLD FUND
Other major holders of Saia stock include:

• Werner Enterprises, Inc.
  • Marten Transport, Ltd.
  • Landstar System, Inc.
You forgot White……… :17142:

Do you actually think that if Yellow still owned Saia ,they would be in business today?
Why C.F. owned CCX which is now XPO and they’re still around!Was called double breasting where one company siphons money off another until they go bankrupt!Its been happening a long time!