R&L | Why are ONLY DRIVERS HOURS CUT????

Are the rest of the drivers hrs cut as bad as you? If not, maybe bring it to the tm's attention that he/she has cut your hrs so bad that you can now get food stamps. Probaly won't do any good if your tm doesn't have a heart, but it is worth a shot. Really, top scale here is 23.47 pr hr, don't know what it is for your barn. If you have been with the company for a length of time, are you near that yet or are you a combo driver?
Yeah I'm topped out at 23.72 and hr and I've been at my terminal going on 7 years and I am still the lowest man on seniority for all city drivers. At first the TM was trying to spread the hours around then it went to people come in each day according to seniority. From what I was told by my TM is some people called corporate and complained about not making their 50 hours a week so our TM had to change it until freight picks back up. The only reason I am getting any hours is because a hand full of drivers decided to take one or two days off a week to pass down to me and two other guys.

Yeah I'm topped out at 23.72 and hr and I've been at my terminal going on 7 years and I am still the lowest man on seniority for all city drivers. At first the TM was trying to spread the hours around then it went to people come in each day according to seniority. From what I was told by my TM is some people called corporate and complained about not making their 50 hours a week so our TM had to change it until freight picks back up. The only reason I am getting any hours is because a hand full of drivers decided to take one or two days off a week to pass down to me and two other guys.
Getting their full 50 while starving you? That is some seriously messed up crap.

I dont know where u r at but we have lots of freight
I agree,we work everyone every day.But then again,out of the top 3 drivers in seniority,me being one of them,only the top guy takes all the hours he can get. Myself and the number 2 guy work our routes and go home. I average 45 to 47 hours a week.I dont want anymore.

Getting their full 50 while starving you? That is some seriously messed up crap.
Cromag
that just effing sad that your senior drivers are pulling that crap. I would go up to one of them and show them your food stamps. And tell them how their greed is screwing your family. Also remind them that they are forcing you to spend their tax dollars. Ask them how they like it.

Why is it seen as GREED or MESSED UP, that a senior driver is getting 50hrs a week?
In this economy and with most americans living paycheck to paycheck, the guys getting 50 hrs may need every dime they makes. We don't have the benefit of knowing their situation. Some may have a wife (who lost her job) and 4 kids to feed.
Calling him greedy seems wrong to me. That is only $61600 a year. If you cut him to 40 hrs he'd take a $12000 a yr. pay cut. In most households a $12000 a yr. cut would be devastating.
It's a sad world we live in, when a guy WORKING to make a living and pay his bills is called greedy. There are always going to be people above and below you economically speaking doesn't make one greedier than the next.
Does it suck that guys are working and still qualifying for food stamps YES IT DOES.
Does it make me greedy that i may make more than other guys at my terminal HELL NO.

Why is it seen as GREED or MESSED UP, that a senior driver is getting 50hrs a week?
In this economy and with most americans living paycheck to paycheck, the guys getting 50 hrs may need every dime they makes. We don't have the benefit of knowing their situation. Some may have a wife (who lost her job) and 4 kids to feed.
Calling him greedy seems wrong to me. That is only $61600 a year. If you cut him to 40 hrs he'd take a $12000 a yr. pay cut. In most households a $12000 a yr. cut would be devastating.
It's a sad world we live in, when a guy WORKING to make a living and pay his bills is called greedy. There are always going to be people above and below you economically speaking doesn't make one greedier than the next.
Does it suck that guys are working and still qualifying for food stamps YES IT DOES.
Does it make me greedy that i may make more than other guys at my terminal HELL NO.

from what Cromag said above, it seems like drivers called in to complain that their fifty hrs were going to be cut so All Drivers could have a forty hr work week. Nobody said anything about if a driver works fifty plus a week that they were greedy. there are drivers at my terminal also that volunteer a day off so that the jr guys can get a decent check too. They are trying to support their families also. If you can not live with less than a fifty hr paycheck then by all means work what you can get. thats providing for your family. but if you can get by with four punches instead of five some weeks, why not help a brother/sister driver out? Just saying...

By the way, over a decade ago when i was a jr driver, i was able to make a living because sr drivers would volunteer a day off now and then.
Today i do the same thing for the jr drivers at my terminal...

I went along with taking a day off here and there for the junior drivers, then it turned out to be every week I took a day off, now you are starting to affect my family, and when that happens, I do not care about you any more. My family is my priority, if you are not getting enough hours find another job, not my problem anymore. I will care for my family, if you get in my way, you bet I will do what I have to do to care for them. Whine and cry, call corporate, I do not care. We are only getting one side of the story, from someone who is disgruntled non the less, so lets not jump to any ones side here.

Dont get me wrong, I will help out when I can. But I can only do so much before I have to throw in the towel, I have bills as well.

Does it make me greedy that i may make more than othet guys at my terminal HELL NO.

Then in the summer time when things pick up and the weather is nice the seniors guys want in earily every day,don't even think about asking them about going back out on a friday to do a drop and hook, because you will get the "tell the younger guys to do,because I have been here longer than they have" I want to start my weekend now. last year a driver was told to sit home maybe 3 to 4 times in a 4 month period, then every driver would get a half way decent paycheck thru the winter,but a few guys called down south and screwed a bunch of people. there are guys who may have worked only a couple of days in January and not at all in December. I take days off every now and then trying to help, but they still won't work a driver who hasn't worked all week. The drivers who called Wilmington are the sames guys who want every Friday off extra long Summer Hoilidays and 8 hours a day so they get home before 5. but in the slow winter months they want it all.. BS It should b all or nothing. Not pick and choose!!!! .

Then in the summer time when things pick up and the weather is nice the seniors guys want in earily every day,don't even think about asking them about going back out on a friday to do a drop and hook, because you will get the "tell the younger guys to do,because I have been here longer than they have" I want to start my weekend now. last year a driver was told to sit home maybe 3 to 4 times in a 4 month period, then every driver would get a half way decent paycheck thru the winter,but a few guys called down south and screwed a bunch of people. there are guys who may have worked only a couple of days in January and not at all in December. I take days off every now and then trying to help, but they still won't work a driver who hasn't worked all week. The drivers who called Wilmington are the sames guys who want every Friday off extra long Summer Hoilidays and 8 hours a day so they get home before 5. but in the slow winter months they want it all.. BS It should b all or nothing. Not pick and choose!!!! .

Well, I do see your frustration. However it is called seniority, that is one of the benefits of having it. As for myself, I am an 8 and skater all year long, longer weekends all year long is ok with me. But only when I chose, because I have seniority, I have worked for it and I have earned it. I will take advantage of it because it is something that I have earned. It is not all or nothing when you have seniority, that is what it is all about, it gives you something to look forward to. Which is pick and choose. I put up with a lot of B.S. to get where i am at. It is just par for the course.

The problem in Knoxville was 4
or 5 butt kisser's got to work 5 full days and the rest of us were getting 3 or 4 full days and 1 or 2 call in days. The call in days you had to call at 11:00 then back at 12:30 then sometimes again at 2:00. This is why a couple of guys called wilmington.

I too have seniority, but where in the hand book does it say once you have X amount of years in, just show up for your paycheck.

I too have seniority, but where in the hand book does it say once you have X amount of years in, just show up for your paycheck.

You can it label what ever you would like, I work hard and earn my paycheck every week and I still enjoy those 3 day weekends and early days as well, I would love it if all I had to do was to just show up. But that is not the case, (unless we were teachers) we still have to work when we are out and about. But like I said before if I want out early and have the option, you bet I will take it!

At R&L CARRIERS there is no team work. More bull**** is when seniority will come into play when a route opens up, meaning a line haul and P&D can take any opened route wether its city or line haul by seniority but when it comes to lay off line haul seniority and city seniority are two separate sides and you can't bump a line haul below you and work his run.

Cromag--I agree, there is no teamwork at our term either. And seniorty doesn't mean crap! Our dispatcher is at everyones throat about everything, and our TM doesn't want to hear it. One of his favorite lines is " If you don't like it, find another job". There is twice as much conflict as cooperation. It absolutely amazes me that they constantly beat you down and threaten you with everything up to and including termination, but expect you to give 110 % everyday, and go along with whatever they say. Morale has been pathetic for some time now. But as most respond, where are you gonna go and make the money we make. I go in everyday and say as little as possible and get out of the yard as quick as I can, then my day gets a little better. Because you know, you have to be out of the yard in 20 minutes, or else!!!

WOW all over the system it's the same! Numbers no matter what!
Our 20 year R&L Vet of a TM (BTW He should have stayed in Florida!) is a complete ASS!! Same thing here, Do it or your fired!!! We all here understand why he's been with R&L so long, it's not that he knows what he is doing, he DON'T! But he is one hell of a "YES MAN" Oh and one hell of a liar and BROWN NOSER!!!!

Here in Denver as all terminals there doing the saftey push. But here's the kicker, were told to follow the safety rules but MGMT doe's not!!! WOW it's a do as I say, not as I do thing around here, and they suffer no concenquences!! WTF!

Lying to drivers and other employees, Lying to customers, Hiding real facts to make your #'s look good, Threatining employee's, Sending Bad HAZMAT BOL'S out on drivers, MGMT NOT obeying saftey rules as it Dont apply to them!, Lying to Corporate when there is real issues and such is the Normal here in Denver!

R&L is no longer a real freight company! We just pretend to be!!!!

Just keep this in mind, They (R&L) LOVE paying lawsuits! Just google this alone, should tell you something about the real condition of this company!
I'm just standing in line waiting for my turn!!!!