Why did this sandwich cost $38?

I recall Pa feeding us in the museum cafe in the Washington Mall Growing up.

I think the particular one was the Natural History Museum. That one had a Cafe in a lower level where a rotating plate carried the foods out of the kitchen etc behind a wall. You pick one or several put onto your tray and go to the register person eyeballing everyone carefully.

The food had stickers on them for cost. Pa used to have a very very bad attitude on some of that. Apple $1.50

Keep in mind I was buying apples in Wenatchee WA at the shipper's store direct for .15 cents a pound in 2000 which is 40 plus years later. So we did not eat very much on day trips down there. For context you could go into a Arbys Fast food with a 5.00 bill and feed Pa and three of us a complete meal and have enough for parking, gas etc.

I have gotten to where I carry a large 24 ounce double wall thermos for soups etc and a big Taj 64 ouncer for a entire pot of coffee for the day into Little Rock. It costs less than a couple dollars for the food and maybe 60 cents for the coffee all day total. Both are capable of holding heat about 21 hours give or take two.

So Little Rock's Food Economy suffers. No more 10.00 burgers etc. That ***** too expensive.

Its really important not to have glass lining. Security will sometimes drop them onto the floor due to the weight.

Dads Stew... Costs...

One 7 qt crock pot. $40.00 (Manual dial, none of that BS computer keypad hocus pocus)

Sirloin Lean Beef, 7.00 a pound.

Potatoes Chopped, about 4.00 in Russet Idaho by weight.

Broth, Several containers to fit, call it 6.00

Corn, can. 2.00

Tomato, Onions, Salsa type food about 3.00

Pepper, codiments etc. about 5.00

Celery, carrots chopped about 3.00

1000 kwh electricity six hours about 40 cents.

You are getting into the realm of 70 dollars and beyond the more you add to the pot. Feed a family two days.