TForce | Why did you join the Teamsters?

The number one answer should be because we work for UPS and we know they will try to Shaft us every chance they get.

Some guys/gals were Teamster wannabes the day they were hired... even though we worked for a good company at one time, so the "I always wanted to be a Teamster" should be a popular choice.

The number one answer should be because we work for UPS and we know they will try to Shaft us every chance they get.

That was not a choice....at least in a poll that is biased.:TR10driving03:

Typical union maneuver...:1036316054:

Some guys/gals were Teamster wannabes the day they were hired... even though we worked for a good company at one time, so the "I always wanted to be a Teamster" should be a popular choice.

Although I enjoyed working for Overnite for over two decades, I never agreed with some of there work rules such as the handling of seniority, Delay pay, Overtime. This is why I signed a card when UPS gave us the opportunity to organize, not because I was worried about getting the shaft from UPS, Although I can see why most parcel workers say you can't work for UPS with out a contract no matter how you feel about being a Teamster. For me, Its all good.:1036316054:

There are no negative choices, because I don't want anti union or non-union guys sabotaging this poll. Your only choice if you are not a UPS Freight Teamster is I am not a member. if you don't like the poll. don't post or create your own.:loser:

I think you got part of this comment right, yes the union should in because it's UPS we know that by talking to parcel drivers, and there are people that wanted to be in the union from hiring, or as you called them "Teamster Wannabees", but I don't think thats the whole story, I'll use myself as an example.

I started at UPSF right after UPS bought the big "O", knowing that in due time the union would be in soon. I was always a pro union person for differant reasons than I am now. I came from a company that treated me like dog shiot for almost ten years and there was nothing I could do about except quit, go to truck driving school, get a little expirience over the road for a year and then get a local union job. If thats what makes me a "Teamster Wanabee" so-be-it.

I alway thought that being union meant better pay, better benefits and I don't have to something that isn't my job.
WELL, that's only part of it. I was a big part in organizing the barn I'm at, I went to all the meetings, lunchs, talking to drivers about the union, keeping in close contact with who is now our steward getting the inside scoop of the union and what is going on and I got a good portion of cards signed that needed signing after the the card check, some of them were anti-union or had ??? about the union.

With all that being said, I've learned alot about what the union is, and I've learned that it's US, not some mystical entity we pay dues to, the union works for us, we don't work for them. we want something changed in our contract we have to get together as a "UNION" and tell them this what we want in our next contract, start a petition something to get it through to them what our needs or wants are.

There is much more I've learned, but I don't want to type forever and take up a whole page of one opinion.:deal::clap:

Being a Teamster Truck Driver... Is It! :1036316054:

If Your a Truck Driver - and Not a Teamster Truck Driver - You always feel the Void...

You always feel as though You are Not Maximizing Your Career and Wasting Your Time…

Non-Union Truck Drivers always look upon Teamster Truck Drivers - with Envy and Jealousy!

(those that are unwilling to admit this - are Lying to Themselves... as well as the rest of Us)

I did... and vowed not to return to Driving - unless I was a Teamster!

here here nik, here here :clap: :clap:

You can all hold your head up......being a teamster!

Growing up in a middle class neighborhood, all the kids had fathers who were hard workers...(Cops, firemen, construction, truck drivers, plumbers, electricians, etc...)

My Great-Grandfather was teamster

Both my Grandfathers were Chicago policeman

My father is a retired union electrical worker, belonged to IBEW, 35 years in, his last 12 as a steward

My brother is in the printers union

My neighbor is a dock steward for Roadway

2 of my best friends...each of their dads are now retired from Yellow

Another friend is a union mechanic for greyhound bus

i knew a guy who drove for BP, he was the steward. when i told him i was getting into trucking, he told me, "With your CDL and a union, you'll always have a job." I think about those words everyday.

So i had/have alot of union influence. I see the difference, though, having worked for a non-union company as well.

I am proud to be a teamster. I wear my teamster hats and t-shirts when i am out. I even got stopped at the grocery store one day by a complete stranger, he noticed my t-shirt, turned out he drives for USF Holland. He shook my hand and looked me straight in the eye. That's Respect.

You have a certain degree of respect among your peers. I joined the teamsters not because everyone else was doing it, i felt in my heart, in today's working world, you need people behind you, that will stand behind you, walk with you, fight with you, i realize that i/we are not alone anymore because we belong to this elite club.

i am still young (mid 20s) and i look forward to growing with the teamsters. Because one day when i have a family of my own to provide for, knowing i have the security of the teamsters and my union brothers is comforting.

Sometimes the union won't exactly be there the way you want them to be. I understand that. But that's life, ya know. You take the good with the bad. But that day that i WILL need them, i know they are there.

Good luck my brothers, i am with you all.

:USA:

The teamsters are not anything like they were in the 50's and 60's when Hoffa Sr. ran the union demonstrating leadership by making the difficult decisions based on what is right, not out of fear.
On the positive side, having a contract to hold the company accountable to a certain level of consistancy is very significant and would not exist if it wasn't collectively bargined.

to stop the thug like SOH managment,,,,

when a dock worker would get a write up he would be called to the OM's office to sign the write up,,,and in the OM's office would be like 3 dock sups and the OM and our ATM to watch!! and intimidate!! and dock worker was all alone,,,,with no one to take his or her side,,,,

Non-Union Truck Drivers always look upon Teamster Truck Drivers - with Envy and Jealousy!

Maybe in the LTL business, but in truckload the drivers view union drivers as the 'light weights' in the industry for more reasons than one...:biglaugh:

I was over the road for 12 years and it was obviously union when you delivered to a union shop.

Took forever to get loaded/unloaded. Everyone in a bad mood *****ing continually to high heaven.

Docks usually dirty and no one able to tie their own shoes without taking an hour to do it.

Non-union docks? Cheerful in comparison. Clean facility and MUCH faster to get in and out of.

I'm continually amazed how many things Teamsters can find to complain about...:flame:

Maybe in the LTL business, but in truckload the drivers view union drivers as the 'light weights' in the industry for more reasons than one...:biglaugh:

I was over the road for 12 years and it was obviously union when you delivered to a union shop.

Took forever to get loaded/unloaded. Everyone in a bad mood *****ing continually to high heaven.

Docks usually dirty and no one able to tie their own shoes without taking an hour to do it.

Non-union docks? Cheerful in comparison. Clean facility and MUCH faster to get in and out of.

I'm continually amazed how many things Teamsters can find to complain about...:flame:

You are a product of the management that leads you. If you think its just a union thing, you haven't been around alot. Take a look at Old Dominion, Estes, or even Overnite, (we're still cleaning our reputation up). On the other hand, Con-Way and Fed Ex are fairly clean and organized. Some of the Union shops are the same too. Some better managed than others. Basically it comes down to the almighty dollar. Pay with bananas and you get monkeys. :bananapowerslide:

you haven't been around alot.

LOL! I've been 'around' since God was a kid...:biglaugh:

AFL/CIO for 9 years...absolutely NOTHING to show for it.

Teamsters for 9 years....absolutely NOTHING to show for it.

It's no wonder the union ranks are shrinking. Union leadership and their propaganda maybe? LOL!:flame: