SAIA | Why didn't it get done the right way?

Brother Trucker

TB Regular
Credits
I took a set of pups originating in HST bound for DEN to a meet/laydown at SPC (Colorado). After arriving and checking in at the motel, I do a post trip, lo and behold, something is leaking out of the back pup. The forwarding driver calls Central Dispatch, and they have him break the seal and start checking the load. Loaded on the rear was a skid of 5 gallon pails of motor oil. You guessed it, the skid "walked" itself to the rear far enough to leave a substantial gap between the skid and the freight in front of it. There were no load bars or pallets anywhere to be seen that would have kept the skid in place, and as a consequence the pails shifted forward and now we have a spill.:ranting2:

To make matters worse, Central Dispatch had to call an environmental cleanup team from a city 3 1/2 hours away. The driver offered to go home, get some cat litter and clean up the mess himself, but it was not meant to be.

Because somebody tried to shortcut the proper loading procedures we have the following:(1) a preventable spill, (2) a huge cleanup bill, (3) multiple delayed shipments, (4) paying the forwarding driver delay pay ( he left 4 hours late because of the wait), and (5) paying me long layover pay, (6) lost goodwill from customers on both ends of the shipment (possibly the greatest expense of all). All because a couple of somebodys tried to shortcut proper load securement procedures. :ranting2:

Just think what would have happened if a state DOT officer had gotten involved in this!

I know what you mean. We were told the company wanted no empty space on the back of the trailers. Fill it with any dunnage you can find....mainly pallets.
Speaking of dock short cuts, or maybe just not thinking. I had to wait about 1/2 hour Monday night/tuesday morning in ATL while they re-arranged my back pup. I hook them both together, the back was in the door, and a dock worker asks me if my tires are flat b/c the trailer is leaning so badly to the drivers side. My rear pup only weighed 9200lbs, and come to find out there were 8900lbs of 2x4 and 2x6 boards of steel stacked on top of one another all along the driver's side of the trailer.

did u noticed that demo or did just hook up? do you guys look in the trailer before pulling away from the dock? Our guys do?

If I hook to a trailer at the dock, I always make it a point to go to the rear and make sure the door is closed and sealed before moving it. That gives just one more opportunity to observe the condition of the trailer before moving it.

I just hooked to it Cokeman. I always walk to the back of the trailer, but the first time is just a quick glance to make sure they are not still loading it. After I check the 5th wheel, hook lines, and roll the landing gear I then check the lights and tires.

As a follow up, the forwarding driver pulled out several empty pallets out of the trailer, and........an empty trash barrel. An empty trash barrel to stop a 2000-3000 skid from moving? Oh well, at least there was something to put the stretch wrap in that came off the skid that fell over. The good news was there was only one pail of oil that leaked. Sheesh.....

I was in HST this week and had a very short conversation with the asst. terminal manager in regards to the incident in Colorado. I was assured that the matter was handled with both the loader and the area supervisor. I watched as the dock loaded the last few shipments on my trailer and was satisfied that at least in that area the quality of work was satisfactory.

I was in HST this week and had a very short conversation with the asst. terminal manager in regards to the incident in Colorado. I was assured that the matter was handled with both the loader and the area supervisor. I watched as the dock loaded the last few shipments on my trailer and was satisfied that at least in that area the quality of work was satisfactory.[/QU you really think that. and you talk to mr neff ha