TForce | Why isn't UPS Freight making more money? Loss leader pricing.

I am not sure of how profitable ABF actually is from traditional LTL, Seems like you are combing through the details I do not. I am aware of some non asset and non traditional LTL business they move. However, I will show you a short list of unsuccessful union carriers for you convenience:
CF, St Johnsbury, Hemmingway, Churchill, Red Star, System 99, Milne, CCC, Nations Way, APA, Branch, Mason-Dixon, McLean, Boss-Linco, Maslin, Pilot, Spector, Eastern/Associated, Holmes, Sanborn, Highway Express, Lyons, Stott & Davis, Cooper- Jarrett, NEMF, Bilkay's, Schuster, Beacon, North Penn, Penn Yan, Quinn, Oneida and the list goes on.
You find ONE union carrier that may be profitable and base you viewpoint on that???

If these all were management failures then why do companies succeed when these same managers go non union carriers? That pay more and spend more on cap ex for safer equipment and facilities???

Looks to me that the union is the problem......
So if the union is the problem, what exactly is the problem with the union? I look at other companies top rates are and we make a dollar more maybe less in some cases and a couple cents more on mileage..we pay for medical..I could list a bunch of nonunion companies that have gone under...

And just so you know before you call me a union lover..I'm not pro union..nor am I against it...as far as I can see the only benefit I get from the Teamsters is some job protections....

So if the union is the problem, what exactly is the problem with the union? I look at other companies top rates are and we make a dollar more maybe less in some cases and a couple cents more on mileage..we pay for medical..I could list a bunch of nonunion companies that have gone under...

And just so you know before you call me a union lover..I'm not pro union..nor am I against it...as far as I can see the only benefit I get from the Teamsters is some job protections....
It's not all about wages, it's about total labor costs. It's about having to pay a driver to sit while paying a yard guy to drop and hook or paying a driver to wait for a load when he could be doing dock work. Yes, it's about doing the work with fewer people. Paying the linehaul driver to string a set is cheaper than hiring a person and paying full benefits. It's about the cost of union health and welfare compared to a company plan with reasonable deductibles and co pays. It's about union pension plans versus matched 401K plans. It's about having the flexibility to put the right guy on the right job and not having to give the job to some dud just because of seniority.

It's not all about wages, it's about total labor costs. It's about having to pay a driver to sit while paying a yard guy to drop and hook or paying a driver to wait for a load when he could be doing dock work. Yes, it's about doing the work with fewer people. Paying the linehaul driver to string a set is cheaper than hiring a person and paying full benefits. It's about the cost of union health and welfare compared to a company plan with reasonable deductibles and co pays. It's about union pension plans versus matched 401K plans. It's about having the flexibility to put the right guy on the right job and not having to give the job to some dud just because of seniority.
We don't get a pension from the Teamsters...we hook our own sets...we also don't get paid to sit and wait...if your not breaking your set or on the dock your not getting paid....we also don't have a 401k match....

I am not sure of how profitable ABF actually is from traditional LTL, Seems like you are combing through the details I do not. I am aware of some non asset and non traditional LTL business they move. However, I will show you a short list of unsuccessful union carriers for you convenience:
CF, St Johnsbury, Hemmingway, Churchill, Red Star, System 99, Milne, CCC, Nations Way, APA, Branch, Mason-Dixon, McLean, Boss-Linco, Maslin, Pilot, Spector, Eastern/Associated, Holmes, Sanborn, Highway Express, Lyons, Stott & Davis, Cooper- Jarrett, NEMF, Bilkay's, Schuster, Beacon, North Penn, Penn Yan, Quinn, Oneida and the list goes on.
You find ONE union carrier that may be profitable and base you viewpoint on that???

If these all were management failures then why do companies succeed when these same managers go non union carriers? That pay more and spend more on cap ex for safer equipment and facilities???

Pretty good puffy list all the carriers that went out right after deregulation, now list the non union carriers that went out at the same time, compare apples to apples.

If you are a driver, then why do you seek to limit your total compensation package and job security by wanting to do away with the union? Do you really think that market forces is what keeps ltl compensation higher than trailerload? Give more of the profits back to the company so they can reward shareholders who do nothing to earn it. As a driver I prefer to get as much as I can; even if it hurts the company. I don’t come to work to grow a business that would kick me out the door the second I get injured enough to not peddle freight; I come to work to make as much as I can before I can’t do it anymore.

If you are a driver, then why do you seek to limit your total compensation package and job security by wanting to do away with the union? Do you really think that market forces is what keeps ltl compensation higher than trailerload? Give more of the profits back to the company so they can reward shareholders who do nothing to earn it. As a driver I prefer to get as much as I can; even if it hurts the company. I don’t come to work to grow a business that would kick me out the door the second I get injured enough to not peddle freight; I come to work to make as much as I can before I can’t do it anymore.
So become a shareholder. Better yet, negotiate a contract that pays you profit sharing. You can't give profits back to the company because they never belonged to you. Profits belong to the owners.

The best thing about be a union worker is protection from ******* management. I can freely speak my mind with absolutely no fear of retaliation.
The great news for union haters is there are many companies you can go work for without any union.
I'll happily stay in my union and pay my dues. They are worth every penny.

The best thing about be a union worker is protection from ******* management. I can freely speak my mind with absolutely no fear of retaliation.
The great news for union haters is there are many companies you can go work for without any union.
I did a short stint at ADP and they are 100% anti union and they tell you right from the day you start and post it everywhere. Make you watch videos on anti union propaganda and then work you to death. But they are on top of there game and they have very little bring backs on a day to day basis and they are profitable. And they pay high wages and only 6 months to top rate.

The nerve of UPS brass to complain about ups freight not making any money. They are the ones in charge of this practice. I know of shippers I suspect will either be paying more to ship with TFI or we will no longer be shipping. One of these shippers was getting up to a 93% discount and not having to pay accessorial fees. Why?
UPS used us a leveraging tool to garner more package business. The severe discounts they offered for that business ruined our chances of being successful.
Trade publications have said that this sale is the best thing to happen to us. .UPS mismanaged and micromanaged us to death ,trying to force us into their package model.....something we knew wouldn't work from day one.

The ups freight master agreement ( soon to be TFI master agreement) is the most company friendly contract. Anyone with half a brain could make it work as a manager. Unfortunately, UPS Freight hires too many with less than half a brain.
The NMFA doesn't exist any longer, other than in name.
Turbo Freight won't be working by that standard.
We not on a master agreement contract.

Maybe, but then generally union LTL companies do not last very long.
Enjoy it while you can

I did a short stint at ADP and they are 100% anti union and they tell you right from the day you start and post it everywhere. Make you watch videos on anti union propaganda and then work you to death. But they are on top of there game and they have very little bring backs on a day to day basis and they are profitable. And they pay high wages and only 6 months to top rate.
So you quit because....

Ugh, where to start.....red star express had a one day wildcat strike and the ceo threatened to shut the doors if the strike happened. Nothing to do with profitability.

St. Johnsbury was purchased by sun oil,I think, and was thrown under the bus when bank loans not belonging to st johnsbury were called in by the bank.

half these companies were making money the day the shut the doors for greedy corporate parent company owners!!