Central Transport | Why things at Vitran are so shocking

L

ltl is great

This will be my last post regarding the lack of success for Vitran. However, what is so mind boggling is that Vitran is the only non-union carrier to struggle for such as prolonged period of time. In 2008, 2009, and, 2010, almost every LTL carrier struggled, took wage reductions, ceased 401K contributions, etc... However, those carriers have since adjusted, are turning a profit, and have reinstated 401K contributions, wage increases, etc...

It is a shame that a carrier that once had the blue print for success, failed to adjust, reinvest in itself, for the future. Now I hear we are losing FXF managers that came over to "save" the company. I understand top revenue producing account managers are also starting to jump ship. While I have not seen any of this at my domicile, usually where there is smoke there is fire.

I read a post about beating a dead horse. That post was exactly right, but the looming failure of this truckline is hard to swallow and digest. We simply should not be in the shape we are in because it was self inflicted from the top.

This will be my last post regarding the lack of success for Vitran. However, what is so mind boggling is that Vitran is the only non-union carrier to struggle for such as prolonged period of time. In 2008, 2009, and, 2010, almost every LTL carrier struggled, took wage reductions, ceased 401K contributions, etc... However, those carriers have since adjusted, are turning a profit, and have reinstated 401K contributions, wage increases, etc...

It is a shame that a carrier that once had the blue print for success, failed to adjust, reinvest in itself, for the future. Now I hear we are losing FXF managers that came over to "save" the company. I understand top revenue producing account managers are also starting to jump ship. While I have not seen any of this at my domicile, usually where there is smoke there is fire.

I read a post about beating a dead horse. That post was exactly right, but the looming failure of this truckline is hard to swallow and digest. We simply should not be in the shape we are in because it was self inflicted from the top.
There is always the possibilty that this company can survive..They have invested alot of money in new trucks and trailers in 2012 which would attribute to some of their losses...Its hard for me to comprehend that they would just walk away after all the investments they made. I think its possible we have under estimated them. The CEO didnt become a millionaire by being stupid. Its easy for us to say he's failed. But in truth its not over until the fat lady sings. As for me i'm not going to change horses in middle of the stream. I'm going to wait it out. If i was a young man i would consider other options..But im to close to retirement..In my 40+ years in this industry i have learned one thing...You cant gauge the success or failure of a company until it's all said and done.

Last edited by a moderator:

@ltl is great,

You are correct, managers brought over from FXFE by CK are leaving, a number have already. As well you are correct that top revenue producing sales reps are leaving. Just wait until early january, another ltl carrier is going to do to vitran what Vitran did to FXFE. Regional VP of sales just quit on friday to go to PittOhio .

I have a feeling that the carrier getting ready to "do what Vitran did to FXFE" is the carrier from Warren, MI. That little carrier from Warren, MI, that owns the "bridge" never misses an opportunity to take advantage of what is going on in the market place. Rome is clearly burning.....

There is always the possibilty that this company can survive..They have invested alot of money in new trucks and trailers in 2012 which would attribute to some of their losses...Its hard for me to comprehend that they would just walk away after all the investments they made. I think its possible we have under estimated them. The CEO didnt become a millionaire by being stupid. Its easy for us to say he's failed. But in truth its not over until the fat lady sings. As for me i'm not going to change horses in middle of the stream. I'm going to wait it out. If i was a young man i would consider other options..But im to close to retirement..In my 40+ years in this industry i have learned one thing...You cant gauge the success or failure of a company until it's all said and done.

@train,

too much working against the van halen V for it to survive. Losses continue to widen while infrastructure crumbles. Equipment is poor overall and their CSA score is in the dumps. Top talent loss will be accelerating quickly over the next two months, facilities overall are in disrepair, not enough lift trucks at terminals, yards are in horrific shape, employees attitudes are in the toilet. Everyone from customer service workers to upper mgmt are looking for other jobs. I would not put all the blame on RG, he is actually a very smart man and a very kind man. He just has had inept leadership for many many years and I guess he does get the blame for that. Time for RG to cut his losses so that Canada and Logistics can survive.

@train,

too much working against the van halen V for it to survive. Losses continue to widen while infrastructure crumbles. Equipment is poor overall and their CSA score is in the dumps. Top talent loss will be accelerating quickly over the next two months, facilities overall are in disrepair, not enough lift trucks at terminals, yards are in horrific shape, employees attitudes are in the toilet. Everyone from customer service workers to upper mgmt are looking for other jobs. I would not put all the blame on RG, he is actually a very smart man and a very kind man. He just has had inept leadership for many many years and I guess he does get the blame for that. Time for RG to cut his losses so that Canada and Logistics can survive.
It's possible everything you say is true. I have always said if Vitran fails..Its their own fault..They were a victim of their own demise.

Some people are just gifted with vast knowledge of the LTL marketplace.

Talking with a couple of fedex freight drivers this past week .They now have to report stop delivered before noon does this sound like the program we are on.
:confused:

we have the tablets, we record all our actions and they can monitor us with the gps. besides, nobody answers our phones when people call in. i have customers complaining about us being late and when they call to find out an e.t.a., it just keeps ringing. lmfao.

The tablets are capable of so much, but what they have enabled is still a mystery beyond our key strokes. GPS can log your top speed down a hill, or geo-locate you in a school zone doing 25 in a 15 (if that is it's time to ping in) other companies sell programs that can ping smartphones every 5 seconds to whatever, so, you never know where and when they are looking