TForce | Why we need new management!

Union Grunt

TB Lurker
Credits
The biggest problem I see right now, is that the old and current management is trying to run the company the same way it did before the contract as they are post contract.. It will not work and is doomed to fail. The only chance to save this train wreck is to start to replace the business model. They still use the old model of bill count to determine how many driver will go out into the street. With the guarantee, this is a failure. Say you have a guy who comes in a 4 am and breaks inbound until 9am, well instead of giving him a short run that would have him off close to his 8 hr guarantee, they work him all day and leave another driver at home(because there formula says only so many drivers can be put on the street) who could have come in at 1230 pm and run a short route and made pickups and worked the outbound at straight time. Instead they pay OT from 1230 pm until 6 pm for one driver. The cost difference of about $7 for them to use one driver and now they have to pay another driver OT as well to work the outbound, costing them an additional $28 for 2.5 hours of work. That is an additional $9100 per year in cost. And that is only one person at one terminal per day.

The biggest problem I see right now, is that the old and current management is trying to run the company the same way it did before the contract as they are post contract.. It will not work and is doomed to fail. The only chance to save this train wreck is to start to replace the business model. They still use the old model of bill count to determine how many driver will go out into the street. With the guarantee, this is a failure. Say you have a guy who comes in a 4 am and breaks inbound until 9am, well instead of giving him a short run that would have him off close to his 8 hr guarantee, they work him all day and leave another driver at home(because there formula says only so many drivers can be put on the street) who could have come in at 1230 pm and run a short route and made pickups and worked the outbound at straight time. Instead they pay OT from 1230 pm until 6 pm for one driver. The cost difference of about $7 for them to use one driver and now they have to pay another driver OT as well to work the outbound, costing them an additional $28 for 2.5 hours of work. That is an additional $9100 per year in cost. And that is only one person at one terminal per day.

:thumbsup:

roger that,,,,same for the dock side south holland dock sup's still go after 5 bills an hour for dock production,,,,,they write the time on top of a load when they give it to the dock worker and tell him or her that is the time you should finish the load,,,,,5 bills an hour and if we can't be done at that time we have to tell the dock sup why we cant get it done by the time they write on the load,,,,,,STOP THE HARASSMENT AT SOH.

The only chance to save this train wreck is to start to replace the business model. They still use the old model of bill count to determine how many driver will go out into the street. With the guarantee,

There isn't a business model in place here!

And Your right... it is a train wreck!

This place operates on Predictability...

And what I mean by that is:

This is the only place that I have ever been - that it is permissible to say No to the customer.

Management does it constantly...

For some reason they think there is a On/Off switch - in the transportation industry...

Everything starts at say 07:00 am in the morning and ends at 17:00 pm at night.

How else is it possible that all city drivers are back and off the street at 19:00 - allowing all linehaul trucks to leave at 20:00 - 22:00 pm. (?)

This is such BS!

Everything is always On Time! (on time according to the "Big O")

We are losing business as well as losing job opportunity (as You mentioned above "Union Grunt" - allowing management the opportunity of bringing in Drivers at 12:00 - 15:00 pm. to make late deliveries and or pick-ups)...

If They brought Drivers in late... They would have anything for them to do (in Their opinion) after 17:00 pm.

If Brown ever gets their heads out of their azzes - then yea We might start seeing some of this current management replaced!

Brown isn't going to allow managers / supervisors to say No to the customer!

And if they do... they will be held accountable for their inabilities and lack of flexibility!

Then, some of these so called Hero managers aren't going to look so good - because they are not going to be able to continue to fudge Their numbers in their favor...

Justifying their reasoning for not bringing in additional help...

or not working inbound loads if they arrive a little later then they expect...

or not delivering / picking up an account if in their opinion it isn't going to allow an outbound trailer to leave according to it's schedule!

Staffing according to Bill Count - is the norm...

Staffing according to Emotion - isn't!

And that is how this company is being run right now!

How many of you have seen the Home Depot freight come back? remember, they dont accept loads till after 2100, We just got it back and our appointment times are 1700-1800, our manager told them to "take it at that time or else" or else what? well, Home Depot didnt have a choice, they wanted out of the YRC contract and only estes and ABF will do the after 2100 delivery. I guess he thought he had them over a barrel.Also I agree with Union Grunt, This company hasnt changed their buisness model since 1985, They still use the ol' computer matrix that was popular from the movie "War games", bill count and load adverage, stop per hour, all are pre union "O" stuff that like oil and water, dont mix with the new UPS.

I see this problem is all over the country it is a stupid business model, and one working on the basis that we needed to work 42 hours to get overtime so they would work all the senior guys 12 hours all week until friday when they would offer them a reduced day. They base it that they work each driver 10hrs a day in our barn just cutting overtime could work an additional 10 drivers and an additional twenty casuals can come back to work. Business 101 says before layoffs cut overtime that way when business picks back up you only have to begin working overtime again rather then a new hire which needs to be trained. It is is still overnite and they will drag this until UPS gets tired of it but until this recession is over I dont think it will change, because the other LTL companies are struggling to and they will just blame it on the economy when we could honestly be number one and taking over the industry if this company were just run efficiently and to really service the customer. The computer programs even still say overnite and all that takes is changing the name on the code the diad says overnite too and thats all UPS. Heres another example there is a major tv manufacture in our area but the company didnt want their business because they were scared of picking up tv's now just yesterday they said pick up tv's just make sure they are banded on the pallet. How much money have they lost because they refused to service the customer when times were good. Its from top to bottom because I had a customer tell me that the company was charging them for us delivering their freight late at night when we deliver it late only because we know they are open late and hold it till the last stop to make the other pickups and deliveries. Were even charging customers that accomodate us because time management is not a skill management has. Please UPS take over before they drag your name into the grave and blame it on the union workforce.

I hope someone at the top that actually wants business steps in sooner or later. Pretty soon they will be wanting to charge extra for delivering on time with out damages.

WOW!!!
Dittos to you Romeo. I could not have said it better, sad to say that s**t is happening at my barn as well. My mgmt refuses frt on a daily basis, It's so sad. I plead for UPS to step in a stop the stupidity!!:flame:

I see this problem is all over the country it is a stupid business model, and one working on the basis that we needed to work 42 hours to get overtime so they would work all the senior guys 12 hours all week until friday when they would offer them a reduced day. They base it that they work each driver 10hrs a day in our barn just cutting overtime could work an additional 10 drivers and an additional twenty casuals can come back to work. Business 101 says before layoffs cut overtime that way when business picks back up you only have to begin working overtime again rather then a new hire which needs to be trained. It is is still overnite and they will drag this until UPS gets tired of it but until this recession is over I dont think it will change, because the other LTL companies are struggling to and they will just blame it on the economy when we could honestly be number one and taking over the industry if this company were just run efficiently and to really service the customer. The computer programs even still say overnite and all that takes is changing the name on the code the diad says overnite too and thats all UPS. Heres another example there is a major tv manufacture in our area but the company didnt want their business because they were scared of picking up tv's now just yesterday they said pick up tv's just make sure they are banded on the pallet. How much money have they lost because they refused to service the customer when times were good. Its from top to bottom because I had a customer tell me that the company was charging them for us delivering their freight late at night when we deliver it late only because we know they are open late and hold it till the last stop to make the other pickups and deliveries. Were even charging customers that accomodate us because time management is not a skill management has. Please UPS take over before they drag your name into the grave and blame it on the union workforce.

Great post! The end of this company will be the entrenched old OVNT management. They have to go!