FedEx Freight | Why would Fedex agree to more for union terminals

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim Carville

TB Lurker
Credits
That's the one question I heard that gets me. If a minimal number of terminals go union, why would Fedex agree to anything more in those facilities knowing that if they do, the rest will follow. Won't they be incented to screw over the union terminals to show the other terminals the risk? You'd think that if they roll over for Charlotte, the nearby terminals would then go union. Won't the porpously not offer them the same as other?

That's the one question I heard that gets me. If a minimal number of terminals go union, why would Fedex agree to anything more in those facilities knowing that if they do, the rest will follow. Won't they be incented to screw over the union terminals to show the other terminals the risk? You'd think that if they roll over for Charlotte, the nearby terminals would then go union. Won't the porpously not offer them the same as other?
Yes and no.

You need to realize, at this beginning stage, there are few. As a casual observer, it seems to me, if changes are not made, every center that pulled or held off, could potentially go the other way. There is a pretty good sized block of locations watching, waiting, etc. It doesn't take a majority to bargain, only a significant number in the right places. Today, you are correct in your assessment. Tomorrow (in a couple of months)? That could change. That is more than just an opinion. It's an opinion based on the overall sentiment, being heard in several locations. Most would still prefer for the Company to make the necessary positive corrections.

FedEx could or could not be bluffing by saying they won't agree to anything more, it's all a chess game. The company has some odd tactics for sure. Our first few meetings they stressed don't sign a card then they changed to if you sign a card followed by no mention of the card. The company already has different pay for different areas so you could think of it in that way Jim. For the time being the company can drag it out by stonewalling the negotiations until it goes to mediation hoping the movement dies out. Perhaps there will be more activity when the new rules go into effect in April, time will tell.

Yes and no.

You need to realize, at this beginning stage, there are few. As a casual observer, it seems to me, if changes are not made, every center that pulled or held off, could potentially go the other way. There is a pretty good sized block of locations watching, waiting, etc. It doesn't take a majority to bargain, only a significant number in the right places. Today, you are correct in your assessment. Tomorrow (in a couple of months)? That could change. That is more than just an opinion. It's an opinion based on the overall sentiment, being heard in several locations. Most would still prefer for the Company to make the necessary positive corrections.
If I were evil like them, i'd fix things and make it better at the non union shops, and let the union facilities rot. If they do it the other way, they'll play into the unions hands and always have drives.

For the time being the company can drag it out by stonewalling the negotiations until it goes to mediation hoping the movement dies out.
Although I know you've done your homework but I must correct you on this. With a private sector union, such as this, the company doesn't have to agree to anything, including a contract, an impasse, and especially arbitration/mediation...their only requirement is to bargain in "good faith", and that's a very vague term.

I feel positive enough that I believe they will eventually bargain in good faith just like they do with their other union.
I agree, they will bargain in good faith....and I feel positive enough that I believe it will lead to nothing in terms of a contract with this union.

Wouldnt ya think that terminals exist in Charlotte, SBR and EPH and soon West Virginia because they make money there?
What business would allow a "terminal to rot".....Are you saying theyll just let all customers in those areas go to other carriers to keep them from getting a contract? Unhappy drivers lose customers.

If I were evil like them, i'd fix things and make it better at the non union shops, and let the union facilities rot. If they do it the other way, they'll play into the unions hands and always have drives.

Status
Not open for further replies.