ODFL | Will it trickle down ?

JIM BOB

06/47-08/20
Rest In Peace
Credits
If YRC takes the 10% cut will it trickle down to O.D. and other companies or will the herd just keep getting thinned ? O.D. is sitting pretty solid even in these times....still expanding.... but freight is what pays the bills and it's thin.What say you ?

I've herd a lot of company's in my area think Od is to high on pricing so it would not surprise me if yellow and abf get away with it others will follow

i hope it doesn't trickle down. we just got word of what our raise will be this year. it would seem if the company was doing well enough to give a raise, we wouldn't need to give back.

I don't think it will,the economy was already tanking when we got our raises in october.Freight had already slowed down,and we're still expanding.this give back can be a real disaster for union organizing efforts . Cutting us back would be pretty counterproductive

if od took money away from us it would have the union knocking on the door and i know they dont want that.how ever i dont think will c any more 1.00 raises.

I guess they really don't have to take it back since there just leaving everyone sitting at home I checked my log book I only ran 7 days in Nov I just got thru sitting home for 8 days got a run to rto now I'm in motel there saying it will be 30 to 48 hours before they get me back on road but at least I get paid to sit here

In the words of Sarah Palin, You Betcha! There's no doubt the climate in this country is expensive labor is the root cause of all problems. The goal is to compete globally which means they come up while we come down.

all bib driver at my barn(gbo) have been asked to take one day a week off.this started this week.nine drivers were off friday night ,only had freight to cover one of these runs.only one off the wild board got to run .

all bib driver at my barn(gbo) have been asked to take one day a week off.this started this week.nine drivers were off friday night ,only had freight to cover one of these runs.only one off the wild board got to run .
Line-haul bid drivers are probaly the last people at OD to feel pain in this recession[at least with blue collars] but we won't be immune from from it,GBO is probaly the first of many terminals to start 4 day workweeks until freight picks up.My opinion here,this is going to be a long recession
we may not have seen the worst yet:Violin:

The real sad thing is some of those guys wont be able to make it missing one of their 600 mile night runs a week.

Even on a 4 day workweek a linehaul driver with a 600+mile bid is still going to make well over a grand a week,I would'nt expect a lot of tears to be shed for us

Even on a 4 day workweek a linehaul driver with a 600+mile bid is still going to make well over a grand a week,I would'nt expect a lot of tears to be shed for us

I had already several weeks I didn’t make over 1000 miles.
But you have to live with it or get another Job.
For fairness I think they should take all drivers
(scheduled and wild) and put them on one board and start to rotate. First in first out. So everyone gets about the same mileage and not one gets about 3000 miles and the other has to do it with 800 miles.
Most have Families and bills to pay and that would be a good way to help out each other.

I had already several weeks I didn’t make over 1000 miles.
But you have to live with it or get another Job.
For fairness I think they should take all drivers
(scheduled and wild) and put them on one board and start to rotate. First in first out. So everyone gets about the same mileage and not one gets about 3000 miles and the other has to do it with 800 miles.
Most have Families and bills to pay and that would be a good way to help out each other.

In a few years you will change your mind on that.It's not our fault they over staff.

True.When you get on up in seniority your opinion may change.
I'm at the top of our board,while I'd be willing to work a 4 day week to spread work around,I'm not about to go for first in,first out dispatch,I put my time in,put up with getting bumped by senior drivers,working through holidays,ETC for years.Why should I give the privileges that come with seniority up? There are plenty of OTR companies that do first in,first out,but no freight outfits They have 90%+ turnover rates.as opposed to under 10% for LTL.

First in first out is pretty much how most terminals dispatch their wild board.My issue with Snowmann's post was he said ALL drivers,bid and wild board work first in first out.