FedEx Freight | Will we go back to 10 hours driving time???

fatneck

TB Lurker
Credits
I was listening to the radio last night and heard that next week a DOT panel is going to make a determination on the 11 hour driving rule . If the majority vote for 10 we go back to 10 hours driving time in Jan.2011. I am not sure how I feel about it but, I guess we will all find out soon.

That would be a win-win for drivers, but maybe not for the company. Bottom line, they would have to add more runs, hence more drivers. Even for the company, all the competition would be in the same boat so it's still an even playing field. I vote YES, go back to ten hours !!!

:grouphug:

Let me preface my remarks by saying I don't work for Fedex, I never did, I am a retired driver. This is a controversial issue but let me just say that life is short and you only live once. I know a lot of youger guys are hungry for the big mile runs but my recommendation is, spend less, work as little as possible and take time to enjoy your family and your life. Accumulating stuff has no postive affect on quality of life, in fact I would argue that accumulating stuff can be detrimental to a happy life. Take all the time off you can get and never sweat the money you didn't make. A return to 10 hrs. driving would be a blessing to you all. Try taking an evening bicycle ride around the neighborhood with the kids or something simple like that, you don't need those 10, 20, 30 thousand dollar toys. Best wishes from a retired Roadway driver.

I have no problem going to 10 hr drive time as long as they don't go back to being able to start and stop our work hours clock.

[quote author=fed875 link=topic=82258.msg850023#msg850023 date=1279836291]
I have no problem going to 10 hr drive time as long as they don't go back to being able to start and stop our work hours clock.
[

/quote]Amen brother,I dont want them to be able to keep us sitting all night and be relieved of duty then via us on a 300 mile via.

[quote author=DanSullivan link=topic=82258.msg850014#msg850014 date=1279834827]
Let me preface my remarks by saying I don't work for Fedex, I never did, I am a retired driver. This is a controversial issue but let me just say that life is short and you only live once. I know a lot of youger guys are hungry for the big mile runs but my recommendation is, spend less, work as little as possible and take time to enjoy your family and your life. Accumulating stuff has no postive affect on quality of life, in fact I would argue that accumulating stuff can be detrimental to a happy life. Take all the time off you can get and never sweat the money you didn't make. A return to 10 hrs. driving would be a blessing to you all. Try taking an evening bicycle ride around the neighborhood with the kids or something simple like that, you don't need those 10, 20, 30 thousand dollar toys. Best wishes from a retired Roadway driver.
[/quote]

Very good post!

Wouldn't affect us much out here in Calif. Most guys don't drive more than 200 miles a night anyway. Some don't even drive 100 miles. Unless........................does the 10 hour rule include forklift time?

I wish they would leave it alone. Do the people that make these rules for us even know anything about trucking besides what they have seen in smokey and the bandit. Guys and girls we had better start sending letters and calling these people or alot of us may be looking for a new career. All they seem to be catering to is MADD, and PUBLIC CITIZEN. And if it were up to them we would drive and work 8 hours a day and go no faster than 45 mph. I mean, has anybody ever asked the drivers what they need or is that to complicated. :rant: :hissy:

"isom09" said:
I wish they would leave it alone. Do the people that make these rules for us even know anything about trucking besides what they have seen in smokey and the bandit. Guys and girls we had better start sending letters and calling these people or alot of us may be looking for a new career. All they seem to be catering to is MADD, and PUBLIC CITIZEN. And if it were up to them we would drive and work 8 hours a day and go no faster than 45 mph. I mean, has anybody ever asked the drivers what they need or is that to complicated.
They had a booth or something set up at the trucking show down in louisville, ky to get drivers input.

There needs to be 2 sets of rules 1 for daycab LTL and 1 for sleepers. They trat us all as the same and its night and day difference.

Anyone who wants to run a 10+ hour (600+ mile) run, 5 days a week, has NEVER run a run like that! Try it, it you won't like it..

[quote author=fxfw973 link=topic=82258.msg850384#msg850384 date=1279935067]
Anyone who wants to run a 10+ hour (600+ mile) run, 5 days a week, has NEVER run a run like that! Try it, it you won't like it..
[/quote

AMEN!!! I ran from Des Moines to Chicago (To the Super Cartage yard) and back 5 nights a week at 66 mph (When IL was still 55-only way you could do it) and I had just enough time to break and reassemble a set and pee.I lasted exactly 51 weeks- Just couldnt do the 52nd-I was just that burned out.

600 mile run is a beast. You drive up 5hrs in all types of weather and when you get there you meet driver is late so you have to wait it out. Driver finally arrives, turn and burn then you fuel, scale your trailers, take a nap if needed. Money is good though..

don't mind running 500 in the night but 500 in the daytime sucks, especially in the hills

Who's talking 500 mile runs? I do that now, easy 9 hrs, with hills and lots of weight! The company would like to see us on 630+ mile relays! 11 hr drive times! Wake up! Thats NO kind of life.... More koolaid please! Be safe out there....

[quote author=DanSullivan link=topic=82258.msg850014#msg850014 date=1279834827]
[/quote]

Great post , I'm with you 100% on this D.S.

give me a 600 mile, no dock, no supervisors, no wondering if today is the day if that new go getter done partimer is going to crush you on the forktruck, no more hand frieght, i could go on and on, 600 mile meet and turn, only you and tunes, dealing with your meet man only, i really feel sorry for you guys you sure have it rough

[quote author=fed875 link=topic=82258.msg850023#msg850023 date=1279836291]
[/quote] i agree :shift: