FedEx Freight | Winchester Va.

Cave Man

TB Lurker
Credits
Today I saw a posting on the website for Road Driver in Winchester Va. Does anyone know if someone outside the company can get hired on in Winchester as a Road Driver or do the city drivers normally bid on them? I guess the position is for the Extra Board.

I think Winchester is 30-40 miles from Hagerstown then 7-8 hours on the dock...I'd keep looking

After the National/Freight merger the economy relay operations were moved from Akron, OH and Smithton, PA to WCV. Freight from the North Harrisburg hub was picked up by daylight WCV drivers (shuttle - 252 miles) then relayed to Bristol, VA to meet Nashville drivers (610 miles). At peak there where 16 bids in each direction, but as we all know, the rail and purchase are now pulling most of the Economy freight. There are now only 7 of these runs left. The drivers who transferred in for these runs are being starved out. Most have quit or are actively seeking employment elsewhere.

Besides the Economy runs WCV has 3 hub turns, 4 Hagerstown and 3 Richmond shuttles. I would strongly advise checking out some of the other trucking companies in the Winchester area! The road operation has been headed in the wrong direction for quite some time. (City is doing great). Old Dominion, Conway, Ward, Estes and Averitt all have terminals in the area.

You got your codes mixed up my friend that was all moved to wheeling,wv(wwv) wcv is a tiny terminal off of 81

You got your codes mixed up my friend that was all moved to wheeling,wv(wwv) wcv is a tiny terminal off of 81

If I said it was Tuesday, would you argue? Believe me "my friend", I didn't make a drastically stupid move from OH to VA 17 months ago without being offered a dovetail spot. Or maybe I did go to the wrong place? Is that why I am making $55k instead of $90k? You must be right. Thanks for correcting me.

Your an idiot all that freight went not from Akron but from Ravenna,oh to wheeling,wv...open up a map big rigger Winchester (wcv) is no more than 40 miles from Hagerstown...so you say hgr is a hub turn from wcv..so I can go to wcv drive 40 miles and collect delay until my hooks are ready 8 hours later..I call bs

Your an idiot all that freight went not from Akron but from Ravenna,oh to wheeling,wv...open up a map big rigger Winchester (wcv) is no more than 40 miles from Hagerstown...so you say hgr is a hub turn from wcv..so I can go to wcv drive 40 miles and collect delay until my hooks are ready 8 hours later..I call bs

Since you aren't intelligent enough to know the difference between your and you're I guess I can't expect you to have the reading comprehension to understand that the three hub runs weren't named. They are POS GBO and YNG. Why do you need to argue with me? The op wanted to know about WCV. I was giving him some honest info. Users like you are why I rarely log on here anymore.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well my friend I pointed out what I thought was a simple mistake....everyone that knew anything about that coo knew that 98 percent of that freight was going to wwv and you tried to put your spin on it to make it sound like the big bad company pulled the rug out from under you..

The freight that went to WCV was TX Freight as well as Memphis. Pre merger Winchester had only 9 domiciled road drivers. At one point after the COO there were over 40 bids. Drivers from Ravenna, Smithton and Hartford CT were offered dovetail positions. Quickly, the Economy freight was taken from this lane and put on the rail. I would never have relocated my family if I thought this would have been what the company had in mind. Now, we are down to around 25 road drivers.

The OP asked if city would transfer to the road, I doubt it. We struggle to get enough dock work at NHS or HGR to pay our bills. Our SCM tells us that if you average 8 hours at city rate, then we should all STFU.

This isn't spin, if you ever talk to any WCV drivers, they'll verify everything I've said. I was trying to help Cave Man avoid making a mistake.

run for your life.

Today I saw a posting on the website for Road Driver in Winchester Va. Does anyone know if someone outside the company can get hired on in Winchester as a Road Driver or do the city drivers normally bid on them? I guess the position is for the Extra Board.

YOU DON'T WANT TO WORK AT THIS TERMINAL.
GO GET A JOB AT ESTES, You'll get treated alot better.
Working here is like going down the road 75 mph and throwing ur steering wheel out the window.

I think Winchester is 30-40 miles from Hagerstown then 7-8 hours on the dock...I'd keep looking

I worked at WCV after the merger last year and the runs were great in the beginning. then once they hired a bunch of newbies a lot of those guys sat at home, i went to HGR and worked with 8 of their (WCV) guys on the dock 10 to 12 hours a day. those new guys starved and a lot quit cause there was no work.