TForce | Winter Ice And Snow Removal..

Crumudgeon

Guru of the Gobblydeguk Constitutionalist
PREMIUM
Credits
Box truck driver could face assault charge for failing to clear snow, injuring motorist (cdllife.com)

This is interesting and serious at the same time.
If we as drivers are responsible for snow and ice removal before entering public roads with the possibility of assault and up to involuntary manslaughter in snowbelt states, how as UPGF drivers do we deal with it?
Interested to know if at ANY Terminal this has been addressed?
How, with the time pressure to "make your cut time", not to mention old dudes like myself getting 13'6" off the ground and clear ice and snow off 56' of trailer top?
Has anyone had a PCM about this, do any terminals have equipment and or the ability to remove this SAFELY?
I am sure it will be a driver issue if and when one of us has an incident as mentioned in the link above. I am sure the Company will say it should have been addressed at your pre-trip and it will all fall on us to insure the trailers are ice free. Even if it is, and I have not heard of it being done at some of the large terminals, how can it be handled at a dark location with no shop or means to safely inspect and clear ice and snow? Will we continue to "just go", and hope for the best? Will we be "disciplined" if refusing to operate an ice covered set? Has the Company addressed this issue with snowbelt terminals?
In 41 years I have had many times I have huge pieces of snow and ice fly off my trailers and luckily never caused an incident that I am aware of, but I had a large ice chunk slide off my lead under braking and crash through the rear window of my cab one year, taking several years off my life I think.
While this is speculative we should all be aware of the liability of this in this day and age.
Interested to hear if has been addressed and what my Brothers and Sisters think about this?

Stay safe........

Philly and grumpyburg both have the overhead "machine" thing that clears snow/ice as you drive under it. At my terminal we get the janitor(s) to climb up on those rolling steel-step ladders and push the ice off with brooms/shovels which is NOT SAFE.

It's a dilemma and it's also an excellent business opportunity for someone.........

Philly and grumpyburg both have the overhead "machine" thing that clears snow/ice as you drive under it. At my terminal we get the janitor(s) to climb up on those rolling steel-step ladders and push the ice off with brooms/shovels which is NOT SAFE.

It's a dilemma and it's also an excellent business opportunity for someone.........
Too seasonal.. Now if we got the snow like when I was a kid!!!! LOL sound like my Grandfather...

I drive for A Duie Pyle. All of our terminals have scrapers for the trailers. Most are built in. Some are portable and generator run

ZWAlVEo.jpg

Holy Crap!! I got lucky on the google search

As a driver with over 40 years experience I used to love to get behind a snow covered trailer so I could get my windshield wet to get the salt grime off of it because they still haven't perfected a washer system for a big truck.
I've done that myself, wonder how many have not had the pleasure of air operated wipers and those crappy nozzles. The noise from air wipers is something I don't miss.

A truck drivers trailers are like a commercial pilots plane with snow on his planes wings. If heavy enough you are obligated to call for its removal which is the company responsibility to remove. You take it uncleaned, you own it and all liability resulting from that decision.

Last edited:
A truck drivers trailers are like a commercial pilots plane with snow on his planes wings. If heavy enough you are obligated to call for its removal which is the company responsibility to remove. You take it uncleaned, you own it and all liability resulting from that decision.

You are not obligated, it is mandatory via law in most states.. You cannot move the trailer if snow is on the roof in most states. You need to check the states you operate in.

Most laws require the 'possessor' of the trailer to be responsible for snow removal. meaning if you arrive for a dropped trailer, that shipper is responsible.

You are correct you own some of the responsibility...

be safe...

You are not obligated, it is mandatory via law in most states.. You cannot move the trailer if snow is on the roof in most states. You need to check the states you operate in.

Most laws require the 'possessor' of the trailer to be responsible for snow removal. meaning if you arrive for a dropped trailer, that shipper is responsible.

You are correct you own some of the responsibility...

be safe...
Yes, shipper may be responsible, but if lawsuits against a driver may occur then it’s sounds a lot like hauling an overweight load and having a wreck. Driver can be sued and held liable which really means I ain’t pulling the trailer until it’s fixed. May mean I go home for the day bc there is no work; better that than put my or someone else’s family at risk

Yes, shipper may be responsible, but if lawsuits against a driver may occur then it’s sounds a lot like hauling an overweight load and having a wreck. Driver can be sued and held liable which really means I ain’t pulling the trailer until it’s fixed. May mean I go home for the day bc there is no work; better that than put my or someone else’s family at risk
It is ALWAYS the driver as the final say, while the shipper and the Company might also be named in any lawsuit, it is the drivers responsibility to ensure all conditions are met.
I was a witness in a trucking lawsuit a bunch of years ago, those lawyers are prepared, they know, they lead you in the direction they want you in. Ex. "Did you knowingly operate the vehicle with the knowledge it had a defect"? Driver, " yes, but I was instructed to do so". Lawyer, "just answer the question, yes or no". Judge, "the jury is instructed to disregard all but the yes or no". It was an interesting experience, I am grateful I wasn't the defendant.
Be safe.....