FedEx Freight | Wires and preventable accidents

big dog

TB Lurker
Credits
Question Is it worth appeal process if you have a wire come down on your tractor on private property. I just received a preventable on this situation. I have been a city driver for 8yrs and have been going in this place for the last 2 and half yrs without any problems.Regional safety person says that does not matter according to the Smith System. Any feedback would be helpful good or bad

Wires are not required to be a certain height on private property, if it had been on a state maintained road you would have been ok.

It happens, and it's very easy to do, learn from it and move on, I doubt you will get anywhere with an appeal, if you do let us know.

We had a guy finish this appeal process couple months ago still the same verdict. He has been going to this bakery twice a week for three years. He got in fine on the way out he snagged the lines and pulled them down was trapped in the truck for an hour and a half made the local paper. I still maintain that some of the airride trailers sit to high as does some of the reclassed Volvos every line I have torn down has been with a reclass tractor and a Wabash duraplate trailer in locations that I have been many times thankfully I have always been on public roads. Good luck

On private property there are no rules, I had one snag me on a public road and it came back non preventable because there was an accident there the day before that caused it. Luckily the police officer that came by (this was in a little bitty town) was the one that worked the accident.

roog

last year i got charged with a preventable that was a public wire hangiong over the entrance of a private drive way.even though the wire was on public property my front wheels were on private.and per the jerk off joe pos safety director i got charged because part of my vehicle was on a private area and it doesn't matter it that part of the vehicle was involved or not.i was also told it would have been safer for me to back out on the highway or unload from the shoulder.the speed limit on that road is 55 and my truck would be hanging out in the right lane a little.i also have been in that lot once or twice a week for more than a year never had a problem.
solution i refuse to do deliveries on that road that don't have a truck access due to safety reasons. they can straight truck those stops and drive of thier operating costs up

this is not a job ending event but it did disqualify me from competition witch in my opinion is bull poop

Make em work for it

If you appeal it won't cost you any money and or be any worse off than you are now.
"Appeal" what have you got to lose! What are they going to do give you a chargeable, oh yeah they already gave you one.

i had a set of rail road crossing gates come down on me and got a non preventable......i stoped and looked bothways, nothing was coming,started to go across and around the corner came a train,lights started flashing and bells ringing so i gased on it but it was not fast enough.....oh well.....wasent my falt....went to the police station told them what happened and he said cool dont worry about it.and so did my CCM

ALWAYS APPEAL!!!! Makes more work for them. Not much since they have already made up their minds.

We had a driver appeal an accident he had, and the response was they would rather he risk injury to himself than damaging the equipment on his own. They would rather let a loaded dump truck hit him than he try to get out of the way on a narrow bridge.

After all, if the other company kills our driver, they have to pay for the death and equipment.

It's a win win.

I was delivering in an alley that I had been to many many times without a problem. The end of the alley has a blind right turn. I moved about 50ft from where I was making my delivery and there was a car coming the other direction around the blind corner. We both hit our brakes and the front of my pup raised up from braking and I caught the over head power lines. I ripped them off of the building because I didn't know I caught them until I saw the sparks arcing off of the trailer. It was found preventable. I explained the situation to the safety guy and he said I should have gotten out of the truck to see if anything was coming from around the blind corner. I said the building is maybe 50 feet long so by the time I got back in the truck someone could have turned and been coming towards me. He said after getting out and looking I should wait 5 seconds and then blow my horn 3 times before proceeding around the blind corner?? He said I could appeal it but it won't do me any good:nutkick: :chairshot:

When i was city driving out of MKO, I missed my turn, in a G-van I stopped and backed into a private drive, I snagged a wire running along the road, I called dispatch and the electric co. came out, I didn't know if it was live, turned out it was a dead telephone wire not being maintained by the phone co., Larry P gave me a preventable, I appealed of course and it came back preventable, it said in the letter if I do not agree or understand thes ruling to contact my saftey guy, I called Larry and after about a 5 min conversation he reversed it, he said gee, that would be like pulling down a wire while turning into a parking lot off main street, I didn't say it but I thought why didn't you see it that way in the first place, makes me wonder if he didn't just stamp everything preventable to save himself time. the SCM (little weasle by the way) told me to make a copy and frame it because in his 7 years at the co. he had never known Larry P to overturn anything, I never thought much of Larry anyway, but I was glad I was cleared.

I was delivering in an alley that I had been to many many times without a problem. The end of the alley has a blind right turn. I moved about 50ft from where I was making my delivery and there was a car coming the other direction around the blind corner. We both hit our brakes and the front of my pup raised up from braking and I caught the over head power lines. I ripped them off of the building because I didn't know I caught them until I saw the sparks arcing off of the trailer. It was found preventable. I explained the situation to the safety guy and he said I should have gotten out of the truck to see if anything was coming from around the blind corner. I said the building is maybe 50 feet long so by the time I got back in the truck someone could have turned and been coming towards me. He said after getting out and looking I should wait 5 seconds and then blow my horn 3 times before proceeding around the blind corner?? He said I could appeal it but it won't do me any good:nutkick: :chairshot:

You have to understand that everything is preventable because everyone and everything behaves like it does on the paper in their office.

All they are concerned about is that they show their superiors that they have the balls to be tough.

Unless of course it is a REALLY serious accident where if they find their driver guilty that will open up massive lawsuits by those that were involved. "Gee...you found your own driver guilty of the accident that killed my client's mother! Can I have that blank check now?"

He said after getting out and looking I should wait 5 seconds and then blow my horn 3 times before proceeding around the blind corner?? :nutkick: :chairshot:

I would have recomended that you hopped out there on your bad foot to see what traffic was doing then do kartwheels on way back to truck followed by a tripple linde back in to your cab. Then honk your horn 2 times pat your head and rub your belly at the same time for 3 seconds then slowly proceed out around corner yelling :biglaugh: :funky:

All towns require wires to be high enough for emergency vehicles to pass under, public or private property. Hitting a wire is never a drivers fault, it falls on the people who maintain and install the wires. Harrison is just just playing power hungry harda$$. Don't appeal it, file a harrament complaint with the state you live in. Harrison is not is tough as they think they are.:hide:

if you get yourself a electric code book its in the code book the wires over a public road have to be so high i went to code school a long time ago before trucking but there is a rule stating a height requirement throw that in their face they would be speechless but i do know its high enough for a truck to go under it

In Texas the wires have to be high enough for truck traffic on public roadways . . . but there is no requirement in private driveways. And that is where they have you. If you remember the Smith System (I don't believe I just typed that :biglaugh: ) and the videos on safe driving all address wires in privat alley ways and private drives. You are responsible for your overhead, including trees, awnings, and whatever else the customer may want to place out there to test your driving skills and professionalism. :hide:

:USA: