Yellow | Work until you can go anymore

slingshot1

TB Lurker
Credits
I guess we will have to keep showing up until we get to old to go or they go out of business going to have a very old work force looks like to me just work safe !!!

This company may never be what either Yellow or Roadway was 10 years ago. That is the most likely future. I have guarded optimism for their survival. However, in the current market it is unlikely that we will ever regain the prominence of just a few short years ago. However the job of road driver is still one of the best in the industry.
slingshot1, you're right about the median age of the Teamster work force. IMO that is what is going to be the final undoing.

Yep , union keeps bumping up the retirement age and it does not matter anyway with a broke fund !!!!

Saw the latest newsletter with a YRC road driver 57 years of service, damn I got to transfere to the road, the city beats you up too much. Maybe I can work another 20 years.....LoL

Saw the latest newsletter with a YRC road driver 57 years of service, damn I got to transfere to the road, the city beats you up too much. Maybe I can work another 20 years.....LoL
There is a city driver @ 304 that is 75 years old. Has to renew his CDL, and physical yearly and passes it. He says it beats being at home with his wife!!!!!

There is a city driver @ 304 that is 75 years old. Has to renew his CDL, and physical yearly and passes it. He says it beats being at home with his wife!!!!!
And if he works another five years he will not get any cuts on his pension. Got to love that guy, never giving up. I'll stop right there, Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.

And if he works another five years he will not get any cuts on his pension. Got to love that guy, never giving up. I'll stop right there, Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.
At that age I suspect he is already collecting his pension. I believe that there is an age when they have to give it to you whether you want it or not.

In the Central States Pension Fund Document it says...

Section 4.15 PERIOD OF BENEFIT DISTRIBUTION
Except for Participants born before July 1, 1917, the entire benefit and interest of each
Participant shall be distributed in a period beginning no later than April 1 of the year after
the calendar year in which he attains age 70-1/2 and ending no later than his death or
the death of his spouse or other beneficiary eligible for a benefit according to this
Pension Plan, whichever death is later. For each Participant born before July 1, 1917,
his entire benefit and interest shall be distributed in a period beginning no later than April
1 of the year after the calendar year in which
his Retirement Date occurs or in which he
attains age 70-1/2, whichever event is later, and ending no later than his death or the
death of his spouse or other beneficiary eligible for a benefit according to this Pension
Plan, whichever death is later. Distributions of all benefits and interests will be made by
the Pension Fund in a manner consistent with Section 401(a)(9) of the Internal Revenue
Code and regulations issued pursuant to authority of that section.

:funky:

At that age I suspect he is already collecting his pension. I believe that there is an age when they have to give it to you whether you want it or not.
i believe he would be collecting his full social security, full pension, and full time wages.

That's right! A "triple dipper"!

How much can I earn and still get benefits?
If you are younger than full retirement age and make more than the yearly earnings limit, your earnings may reduce your benefit amount. (If you were born between 1/2/1945 and 1/1/1955, your full retirement age is 66 years.)

• If you are under full retirement age for the entire year, we deduct $1 from your benefit payments for every $2 you earn above the annual limit. For 2014, that limit is $15,480. In 2015, that limit will be $15,720.

• In the year you reach full retirement age, we deduct $1 in benefits for every $3 you earn above a different limit. In 2014, the limit on your earnings is $41,400 but we only count earnings before the month you reach your full retirement age. (In 2015, the limit on your earnings will be $41,880)
Note: If your earnings will be over the limit for the year but you will be retired for part of the year, we have a special rule that applies to earnings for one year. The special rule lets us pay a full Social Security check for any whole month we consider you retired, regardless of your yearly earnings.

When you reach full retirement age:

• Beginning with the month you reach full retirement age, your earnings no longer reduce your benefits, no matter how much you earn.
  • We will recalculate your benefit amount to leave out the months when we reduced or withheld benefits due to your excess earnings.
YRCW will be banking a lot on these "triple dippers" age 70 1/2 and over to keep that freight moving in the future!

http://www.ssa.gov/retire2/whileworking.htm

"We're going to be fine Martha! I'm going back in the truck and start "triple dipping"!

Old-Man-Driving.jpg

The year in which you turn 70-1/2 is when you have to begin to take pension, IRA, and 401-K disbursements. IRS regulation. That's also when you can work as much as you like in the industry and you can't be penalized.