ODFL | workmans comp

sal manila

TB Lurker
Credits
this morning i hurt myself to the point that i cant operate a motor vehicle.i went to the company dr.and was told light duty.i explained that if i cant drive how am i suppose to get back and forth to work let alone get up a flight of stairs to do light duty. the dr said that old dominion told them try not to issue "out on comp at all cost".i was floored and think this is alot of bull****. anybody else encounter anything similar

Rock and a hard place

this morning i hurt myself to the point that i cant operate a motor vehicle.i went to the company dr.and was told light duty.i explained that if i cant drive how am i suppose to get back and forth to work let alone get up a flight of stairs to do light duty. the dr said that old dominion told them try not to issue "out on comp at all cost".i was floored and think this is alot of bull****. anybody else encounter anything similar

You're between a rock and a hard place.If you can breathe air they will find you something to do at a reduced rate of pay.But then again that all depends on who you are.As for the doctor,sounds like they own him.I didn't know O.D. had branched out into the medical field but I guess the doctor might want to keep their business.You don't really have anyone to complain to,you could try someone on the state level,that would be a hunt and find deal.Maybe a lawyer but you'll probably be job hunting then.Just remember you can be fired on light duty and would not be the first.The best thing to do is work the light duty if at all possible,take as best care of yourself as you can and get healed,then find another job,because before this is over I believe you will really find out who you're working for.But that's just my opinion.

talked to a driver in dal about three weeks ago he hurt himself could not drive personal car they required him to take a cab to work just to sit in the breakroom for six hours a day and do nothing until he could return to work if they do you like him better buy you alot of books driver said the boredom drove him insain:chairshot:

that reminds me of when i worked at wal-mart all these corporations all they car about is saving every little penny so it could add up to some big wigs bonus. That stuff makes me sick to hear, good luck with that.

talked to a driver in dal about three weeks ago he hurt himself could not drive personal car they required him to take a cab to work just to sit in the breakroom for six hours a day and do nothing until he could return to work if they do you like him better buy you alot of books driver said the boredom drove him insain:chairshot:

I've heard the cab storys before.When it gets to that point they're trying to run you off or get you to refuse,then fire you.It is a game.If you get hurt you're supposed to leave or suck it up and work.Sometimes these people get so caught up in this that it leads to moments of insanity.Like I said before,get healed,get out.Be smarter than I was.

Did you get hurt on the job or off? I've seen quite a few work light duty and I don't know much about it except that I hope I never get in that position. This is when you find out if you're popular as you are out there by yourself and as the safety man says you are now part of the political system. You are your own representation in this case so be sure to get a lot of advice and try and figure out which is the good advice.

TR463753,
Keep a record of everything that goes on in this matter no matter how big it is or how small it seems. You also might want to go to your own Dr. and get another opinion. If you're hurt so bad that you can't drive your vehicle to work and can't go up and down steps you don't know the longterm issues you may have. In most cases the Company Dr. is looking out for them, not you. My advice is to make every effort to do as they want you to without overdoing anything. Like some of the others have pointed out, you more than likely have a big settlement coming your way after this is all said and done and you may have to go the lawyer route. They've also said that OD might fire you for this? Isn't Corporate America wonderful? A good lawyer will rip them apart for that. Best of luck.

I have never filed a Workman's comp claim and hope I never do. I do know why companies do not like it when employees file these claims. Workers comp insurance is required if you have 5 or more employees. Companies pay a insurance company to cover these claims. The insurance company charges the company by how many employees they have, How much of a risk the occupation is and how many claims the company has. This is not cheap believe me. The cost can rise substantially if there are to many claims. so companies attempt to ask employees to resist filing. The insurance company audits the company yearly to make sure the company pays the full cost. If you ever owned your own company that is a high risk of worker comp claims you would not like the cost it is high and only gets higher if you have more claims.

Of the more than a handful of claims I have seen filed most were probably really not the companies responsibility. One guy would have got a lot better if he just lost a 100 lbs or two. some tripped on the step of the truck conveniently when he came to work and put some personal items in it from his car. Another had pre existing conditions before he was hired by the company but used it as a way to file. Another did everything and any thing he could to slip and fall apparently mad at the company and exacting revenge. It is a messy business and if I ever file a Workman's comp claim it would be for the right reasons other wise I do would not do it.

Sparky....nobody ever gets hurt purely by accident? Granted, there are those who will fake an injury here and there but it's not the norm.....it's actually a form of insurance fraud to do so. If people work, people will get hurt sometimes.....it's just a fact and Comp is just a part of doing business.

I apologize if a claim is legitimate a worker should be able to go through the process without any repercussions. Just wanted to try to explain how Workman's comp effects a company. I should also state that I have seen many legitimate claims.

I have never filed a Workman's comp claim and hope I never do. I do know why companies do not like it when employees file these claims. Workers comp insurance is required if you have 5 or more employees. Companies pay a insurance company to cover these claims. The insurance company charges the company by how many employees they have, How much of a risk the occupation is and how many claims the company has. This is not cheap believe me. The cost can rise substantially if there are to many claims. so companies attempt to ask employees to resist filing. The insurance company audits the company yearly to make sure the company pays the full cost. If you ever owned your own company that is a high risk of worker comp claims you would not like the cost it is high and only gets higher if you have more claims.

Of the more than a handful of claims I have seen filed most were probably really not the companies responsibility. One guy would have got a lot better if he just lost a 100 lbs or two. some tripped on the step of the truck conveniently when he came to work and put some personal items in it from his car. Another had pre existing conditions before he was hired by the company but used it as a way to file. Another did everything and any thing he could to slip and fall apparently mad at the company and exacting revenge. It is a messy business and if I ever file a Workman's comp claim it would be for the right reasons other wise I do would not do it.

You say the "company attempts to ask employees to resist filing". This is against the law and should be reported to OSHA and your State Attorney General. Why would someone who gets hurt on the job be coerced by a company to not report it. If this injury turned out to be serious, Guess what you didn't report it so your screwed. Plus the company can fire you for not reporting a injury or u get fired for reporting the injury. A real top of the line company. If this is the way O.D. does business I would never work there. What a bunch of low life management!!!!!!!!!!

m Bob hit nail on the head get well and get out, I should know it happened to me after almost 19 years
its not just od its corporate America everybody is just a number and that's it no more no less as long as you can produce for them your fine and when you can't their done with you.od will do the bare minimum when it comes to workers comp first they try to starve you out and get you to come back to work its all a big game you have to stay focused and look at the big picture and wait them out. There is not any big insurance settlements the state dictates how much or how little they pay keep in mind they have the high price lawyers
on their side and you better have one on your side

Always remember your health and your family are what should be most important to you, you will find that you are the only one that will be concerned with them. A small item now that most would blow off and if you didn't would appear to be a scam to them could turn into something big with a little time. I've got physical damage done from previous jobs that was no big deal at the time because I was young. I should have gone to the doc and taken care of it then and maybe I wouldn't have some of the problems I have now.

well im back.as far as there "light duty" i had my own dr say elsewise.one thing that i forgot to tell you all when you get hurt and go to a company dr. od wants you to **** in the cup first and get treatment later.ive put up with alot of s**t with this company over the year (some of you know what im talking about) but this takes the cake.employee appreciation yah right!we are just their puppets.its a damn shame that employees dont have proper representation here.