FedEx Freight | Workplace hostility...

PurpleDrool

TB Lurker
Credits
Do you feel that the company as a whole has become a hostile place to work, both for management, drivers and part-timers?

Do you think the economy has anything to do with it, or is it just a FedEx Corporation culture since the aquisition of American Freightways and now Watkins.

Do you feel appreciated by what you do?

Would you quit for another job that paid slightly less, but treated you better?

Dealing with several carriers over the years, I can say that it certainly would appear that the Viking/FedEx environment was much better than most. There are bad employees and bad managers everywhere...no large LTL carrier is immune.

Well if anybody out there is familiar with POS and some of the pos (and I dont mean Pocono Summit) drivers that come in there, then your familiar with their arrogance and sheer disrespect for their fellow co-worker. Speeding through the lot, failure to yield the right of way to no one and my two all time favorites: sitting there idling while waiting turns for fuel and then cranking up their radios with their gay teenager type music so we can all enjoy it .

Clandestine_ice said:
Well if anybody out there is familiar with POS and some of the pos (and I dont mean Pocono Summit) drivers that come in there, then your familiar with their arrogance and sheer disrespect for their fellow co-worker. Speeding through the lot, failure to yield the right of way to no one and my two all time favorites: sitting there idling while waiting turns for fuel and then cranking up their radios with their gay teenager type music so we can all enjoy it .

Wow are you in KCY ? Holy crap that's it. Speeding has got to stop in these yards before someone gets killed.

Not so much

Do you feel that the company as a whole has become a hostile place to work, both for management, drivers and part-timers?

I think that while it's not exactly "hostile", at least where I'm at, you worry about your job. You wonder just how far they will go to get rid of a "highly" paid employee with a new piece of meat that doesn't know any better. I think we're lucky at this SC in that we have some very old hands who remember what it was like when we were a real LTL company. They remember, but can't do anything about, what an engaged employee was (is) capable of. We all know what an un-engaged employee is capable of. We have legions who are here just for the paycheck and nothing more. This is the result of many polocies over the years that have destroyed careers and incomes.

Do you think the economy has anything to do with it, or is it just a FedEx Corporation culture since the aquisition of American Freightways and now Watkins.

I think people are afraid of the economy. This can cause short tempers and further fear of losing your job. However, 95% of it is the culture of FedEx brought into the mix. They think they can run a LTL company like a envelope/package company. I think they are slowly starting to understand that you can't do that. They are two different beasts with different needs and problems. The military style of running a package company does not work for a LTL company. Just ask any driver for UPS Freight. You can be a lot more intrusive in a package company because you can control a lot of the variables. Not so much in LTL. While a set can get stuck on a pass because of weather, that's not so for a 747. (For the most part)

Do you feel appreciated by what you do?

Absolutely not. That's why this job has devolved into nothing more than a paycheck. You don't appreciate what I bring to the table after my years of experience, FU, then just leave me alone.

Would you quit for another job that paid slightly less, but treated you better?

That's a tough one. I tell they young guys to get the hell out while they can. The old timers are kind of stuck. The grass always being greener and all. At least here, I know the failings of this company pretty well and can work within the limitations the company has put on productivity and growth. I'm not sure trading for another set of unknown problems would be worth it at this point. It's probably easier to just keep your head down and just chuckle when they bite themselves in the ass then try to recover their pride with a new "program" that lasts about as long as it takes to watch the DVD announcing it.

yeah what he said
I think that while it's not exactly "hostile", at least where I'm at, you worry about your job. You wonder just how far they will go to get rid of a "highly" paid employee with a new piece of meat that doesn't know any better. I think we're lucky at this SC in that we have some very old hands who remember what it was like when we were a real LTL company. They remember, but can't do anything about, what an engaged employee was (is) capable of. We all know what an un-engaged employee is capable of. We have legions who are here just for the paycheck and nothing more. This is the result of many polocies over the years that have destroyed careers and incomes.

I think people are afraid of the economy. This can cause short tempers and further fear of losing your job. However, 95% of it is the culture of FedEx brought into the mix. They think they can run a LTL company like a envelope/package company. I think they are slowly starting to understand that you can't do that. They are two different beasts with different needs and problems. The military style of running a package company does not work for a LTL company. Just ask any driver for UPS Freight. You can be a lot more intrusive in a package company because you can control a lot of the variables. Not so much in LTL. While a set can get stuck on a pass because of weather, that's not so for a 747. (For the most part)

Absolutely not. That's why this job has devolved into nothing more than a paycheck. You don't appreciate what I bring to the table after my years of experience, FU, then just leave me alone.

That's a tough one. I tell they young guys to get the hell out while they can. The old timers are kind of stuck. The grass always being greener and all. At least here, I know the failings of this company pretty well and can work within the limitations the company has put on productivity and growth. I'm not sure trading for another set of unknown problems would be worth it at this point. It's probably easier to just keep your head down and just chuckle when they bite themselves in the ass then try to recover their pride with a new "program" that lasts about as long as it takes to watch the DVD announcing it.

What gets me is the idiots who race between my lead box and my gear when I'm backing up to the gear to hook the set...I'm honkin' the air horn, and they cut through a space that has a foot of clearance max, and if you ask them what they were thinkin', they shout obscenities at you and claim them have the right of way!!!!

Crazy, just plain crazy....

I feel appreciated every time I check my direct deposit balance on payday. Out side of that nobody needs to kiss my ass. I'm good.

What gets me is the idiots who race between my lead box and my gear when I'm backing up to the gear to hook the set...I'm honkin' the air horn, and they cut through a space that has a foot of clearance max, and if you ask them what they were thinkin', they shout obscenities at you and claim them have the right of way!!!!

Crazy, just plain crazy....

Happened to me this morning. Of coures I was in the wrong, how dare I back up when he is racing to the gate in the middle of an important phone call!!

hmmmm hostility in th work place....somethin like the monkey on the ladder , u look down the ladder n see nothin but smilin faces and look up the ladder and see nothin but A holes....because @ our place thats what it seems like. You have ppl below you tryin like all get out to get somethin on you...to get you fired so they move up:mf_swordfight:...n ppl at the top aka managment whom have their chosen children whom do NO wrong...:butt kiss:

NA! no hostility...said it b4 sayin it again...love the job...HATE the politics, and favoritism. Do my job, get my pay, go home.
As for leavin if I were to leave it would be for somethin completely different then driven.
Appreciated....HA!!!...nuff said:6837:

file a complaint if you get hurt file a court order for the cameras but it would have been broken that day at that time but you all are right somebody is going to get hurt or worse killed city guys you get paid by the hour do your part and road drivers slow down big deal you don't make the gate tell em you was just being safe

loved that bonus!!!!

So did I!!!
They told us they were going to start the bonus program back up, and they did. Promise kept, good deal.
Next one will be better and so on and so forth. Unless you'd like to be taken out of the bonus program, which I'm sure could be arranged if the free money makes you so miserable.

So did I!!!
They told us they were going to start the bonus program back up, and they did. Promise kept, good deal.
Next one will be better and so on and so forth. Unless you'd like to be taken out of the bonus program, which I'm sure could be arranged if the free money makes you so miserable.

Ok 309. I guess the little lady in the office in SGF appreciated her 1.16 check and the dock guy in OKC really loved his check for .16 cents. Keep 'em coming:moon2:

Ok 309. I guess the little lady in the office in SGF appreciated her 1.16 check and the dock guy in OKC really loved his check for .16 cents. Keep 'em coming:moon2:

:crybaby: It's chronic whiners like you that I avoid in the drivers room everyday. boo F'n hoo all the time! It gets real old real quick.

I am treated very well in MRL, most drivers have a good attitude. Main problem is not knowing if there will be a job left for you next bid, and what that job will be. every bid we lose high mileage runs, very few left.