SAIA | Would be nice if company scratched our back every once in a while

Never suggested that Linehaul drivers were #1. Line haul is trained to run Linehaul and City is trained to run the City. If my terminal wanted me to run City, the paperwork would be a disaster, of biblical proportions, and not because I'm stupid but because I am not trained in the City procedure.
Big Buck, do you train your office personnel how to drive?

I believe your comparisons are flawed. The Saia policy and procedure is...if your title is “driver” (city, line), you are expected to do so regardless. There was always a weekend signup sheet at my barn for city. The reason? By the time the weekend rolled around, line was almost out of hours and they needed city to cover. So, Saia does has a substantial amount of cross training for drivers. In your example, if the paperwork was a mess - my guess is that the company wouldn’t worry about that as long as the freight got delivered/picked up. That’s really the most important facet of your business

I believe your comparisons are flawed. The Saia policy and procedure is...if your title is “driver” (city, line), you are expected to do so regardless. There was always a weekend signup sheet at my barn for city. The reason? By the time the weekend rolled around, line was almost out of hours and they needed city to cover. So, Saia does has a substantial amount of cross training for drivers. In your example, if the paperwork was a mess - my guess is that the company wouldn’t worry about that as long as the freight got delivered/picked up. That’s really the most important facet of your business
Yeah, get caught by DOT with substandard paperwork and see how your theory that "Saia wouldn't worry about it as long as the freight got delivered /picked up" works with the safety department. There never has been cross training at my barn and my barn is a small one. Anybody else currently have city running Linehaul and vice versa?

Yeah, get caught by DOT with substandard paperwork and see how your theory that "Saia wouldn't worry about it as long as the freight got delivered /picked up" works with the safety department. There never has been cross training at my barn and my barn is a small one. Anybody else currently have city running Linehaul and vice versa?

Not really sure what kind of paperwork your referring to for city but all you need is a dr(delivery receipt) and a pro label for pu’s besides that it’s the same credentials you have for any cdl if I’m understanding your question.

The only time I’ve seen them offer a line run to a city guy(with previous experience)was when a LH turn guy called out on a Friday and they needed to cut a city driver for hours or move freight for guarantees. It doesn’t benefit either side m-thu due to a 10hour break. This is for the night runs. LH is offered very short or quick swaps when they return but they rarely if at all do. It’s too risky early after a reset, could screw you later. imo.

Not really sure what kind of paperwork your referring to for city but all you need is a dr(delivery receipt) and a pro label for pu’s besides that it’s the same credentials you have for any cdl if I’m understanding your question.
There is your answer in your answer. "Not really sure what kind of paperwork your referring to for city." Explain in detail how to fill out a Bill of lading. Explain in detail how to fill out a Bill of lading w/ Haz Mat. How many pro # stickers do you put, on the shipment? Do you know what the delivery hours, who to see, and what are the docking procedures, for every stop on your impromptu city route and don't forget you have to keep up the pace or you will affect the terminals daily numbers. At the end of the day, will your paperwork look like the other city guys paperwork or will it be a mess thrown on the counter to let the night guy try to straighten it out. What if your Haz Mat paperwork is incomplete, because you don't know what you don't know, and that freight has to sit until the next day and someone has to clean up the mess or, even worse, the night guy has to strip that Haz mat, off of a trailer, because I would not pull it and that actually happened. Now, I am considered to be the bad guy, which actually happened and was called not a team player, who caused late departures and late freight,because everybody else would have run it.
Please, don't take my negative attitude wrong. I just don't like the possibility and the probability of having to babysit, clean up after, be blamed for, or be delayed because someone crossed over, wasn't fully trained, and did a half ass job.
Let trained Linehaul run Linehaul and let trained City run City. It's nice and orderly.

Last edited:
I’m tracking now what your saying. Wish all my questions were answered with an answer that easily. Wasn’t sure if you thought there was a lot of paperwork. 99% of the bills, either way, are prepared for you, it’s just a matter of review for correctness. If it’s entered in the hh wrong by the goofball who can’t count past 10 is a whole other topic. Blows my mind. And your asked about hm also so as long as you have enough brains to copy from one to the other, that’s the easiest part. Don’t get me wrong, I’m not a proponent of switching, I agree to leave it be, we’re each professionals in what we’re doing and made our choices. I can’t back a set up to save my life but after some time as a quick learner, I might. And you could do what I’m doing just as easy. The point I’m saying(and I think big buck is) if the company needs to move freight, you should be able to do it without the title affecting the customer if need be. People don’t care if a bald eagle brings it, they just want their ::shit::. Isn’t that the object of the game? A to B. There’s many issues in between this that the company needs to fix including how they train drivers but that also is giant fail.

I’m tracking now what your saying. Wish all my questions were answered with an answer that easily. Wasn’t sure if you thought there was a lot of paperwork. 99% of the bills, either way, are prepared for you, it’s just a matter of review for correctness. If it’s entered in the hh wrong by the goofball who can’t count past 10 is a whole other topic. Blows my mind. And your asked about hm also so as long as you have enough brains to copy from one to the other, that’s the easiest part. Don’t get me wrong, I’m not a proponent of switching, I agree to leave it be, we’re each professionals in what we’re doing and made our choices. I can’t back a set up to save my life but after some time as a quick learner, I might. And you could do what I’m doing just as easy. The point I’m saying(and I think big buck is) if the company needs to move freight, you should be able to do it without the title affecting the customer if need be. People don’t care if a bald eagle brings it, they just want their :::shit:::. Isn’t that the object of the game? A to B. There’s many issues in between this that the company needs to fix including how they train drivers but that also is giant fail.
I'm with you brother. Be careful out there.
Getting back to giant fails of the company, there was an incident this past week, with taking the Smith System refresher course. I'm not bragging but the reality, of my driving record, is, that like many others, I am a multi decade multi million mile safe driver. I watched the Smith System video and took the no answer is wrong test. The test was moving so fast that I couldn't consider my answers so I just start circling random answers. If the company actually looks at the answers, they may not be wrong but they will be bewildering. I can just imagine some company guy looking at my answers and wondering how the hell did he see that. I think it's funny, in a twisted payback kind of way.

That is funny! Hell, they gives us the answer sheet along with the test so we don’t miss any. I asked the boss, “I guess your so use to cookin the books that not even this matters.” Don’t think he likes my sense of humor.

I have to double check my bills every day because the city guys rarely get the haz mat right when they enter it in the handheld. It passes right by the dock and onto the trailer without even a look. most of the time it’s not even flagged and even if it is it’s missing the BOL.
NOTE: the haz mat is almost never wrong from the terminals down south it’s always the new ones up north. Someone failed to train them properly on haz mat

I have to double check my bills every day because the city guys rarely get the haz mat right when they enter it in the handheld. It passes right by the dock and onto the trailer without even a look. most of the time it’s not even flagged and even if it is it’s missing the BOL.
NOTE: the haz mat is almost never wrong from the terminals down south it’s always the new ones up north. Someone failed to train them properly on haz mat

I was working the outbound dock after my run last week and a driver picked up 3 separate HM bills and didn’t enter a one as HM. I put them all straight into the OSD bay. Ain’t shipping that. Triangles and X’s. Not that difficult. Idiots!