ODFL | Would You Invest Your Own After Tax Earnings in ODFL?

SierrasTrucker

TB Lurker
Credits
To ODFL drivers,

ODFL as a company and stock has done great over the last 25 years. In terms of future growth, do you see the company continuing its success- enough so to chose it as a stock in a retirement savings portfolio?

I usually go with mutual funds, but I could see putting 10% portfolio into an individual stock I believe in

Thanks in advance for your opinion

I keep thinking it's time to sell off ODFL stock(since it was in the 80 dollar per share range) but they keep proving me wrong.I wouldn't think 10% of your portfolio invested in ODFL would be a bad investment especially if you're fairly young.

good luck with the answers don't know anybody that can predict the future for any investment

To ODFL drivers,

ODFL as a company and stock has done great over the last 25 years. In terms of future growth, do you see the company continuing its success- enough so to chose it as a stock in a retirement savings portfolio?

I usually go with mutual funds, but I could see putting 10% portfolio into an individual stock I believe in

Thanks in advance for your opinion

No more than 5%. We have a few guys that are putting almost 100% into the stock, STUPID!!!!!! Do not put all your eggs in one basket. 10% is too much in one basket.

But I usually will not take investment advice from a truck driver.

Last edited:
No more than 5%. We have a few guys that are putting almost 100% into the stock, STUPID!!!!!! Do not put all your eggs in one basket. 10% is too much in one basket.

Aggressive, but not stupid. Aggressive decisions are best for those with lots of time before retirement. You can really grow your money if you are 100% with stock, especially with how well ODFL stock has done over the past 10 years. Just have to keep on top of the stock, not react when there's a shift, and be in it for the long haul - pun intended.

I was reading these opinions in 2005 and two stock splits ago when the stock was trading at 26.50 a share..

I was reading these opinions in 2005 and two stock splits ago when the stock was trading at 26.50 a share..

Ya, predicting the future is pretty tough, people always say you missed out when you should have done it when it was good. But when it goes bad with all your eggs then sucks to be you. Sounds like 2008 didn't teach anyone a lesson, we always seem to forget history. You should go talk to the older people that had all their eggs in one basket and lost it.

Anyone can be a Monday morning quarterback.

Every investment brainiac say's to never buy stock in the company that you work for. doing so clouds your judgement (thats the theory)

with that same theory, I never do business with my employer. When i drove LTL, I never shipped anything with my employer, i alway's used a different company. Now I haul fuel, but refuse to purchase anything from them, I buy my motor oil at a store, gasoline at a station not affilated with them, etc.,

with that same theory, I never do business with my employer. When i drove LTL, I never shipped anything with my employer, i alway's used a different company. Now I haul fuel, but refuse to purchase anything from them, I buy my motor oil at a store, gasoline at a station not affilated with them, etc.,
If I went with your theory when I started with OD in '05 the stock was $26. per share, at close of business Friday it was $148.00 if you figure in the two stock splits that $26. share is worth more than $200 now, more than an 800% increase in value. I can't think of many investments that appreciated that much in 13 years. If you want to devalue you're company's value be my guest, the facts are: ODFL stock has been an excellent investment. The case can be made that perhaps its hit it's historical ceiling although they keep gaining market share, only time will tell but the stock market is a gamble and common sense tells you to have diverse portfolio. Putting 5 or 10% of your retirement in company stock isn't an unreasonable investment.

I not saying its 'my' theory. It's what I've heard my whole life from those in the investment community. Yes, OD has an exceptional track record. But is every employee in every company invested in those company's there would be more losers than winners.
I'm not devalueing my employer at all, it's just not a habit of mine to take money out of my pocket, and put it in the pocket of my employer.