XPO | XPO Union Thread #2

He could be Yellow' undoing too. Imagine if he was in charge when at the time, YRC managed to scare the union into signing a crappy contract under threat of closing the doors. With O'Brien in charge, the doors may very well have closed back then.
Here's the thing Yellow will hold the employee's to the letter of the contract. So why should it be any different for the company. Remember the company also agreed to those term and signed the contract

Here's the thing Yellow will hold the employee's to the letter of the contract. So why should it be any different for the company. Remember the company also agreed to those term and signed the contract
I have guys that I work with that don't understand why I won't break rules to "help the company".... ( take your lunch between 4 and 6 hours and possibly miss a pickup or delivery)... I tell them " not my problem, they need to figure it out". I also tell them they wouldn't hesitate to give me a letter for breaking their rules so I'm not going against the rules to help them....and trust me I've been asked, my reply "Not happening, against the law/or ABF rules."

I have guys that I work with that don't understand why I won't break rules to "help the company".... ( take your lunch between 4 and 6 hours and possibly miss a pickup or delivery)... I tell them " not my problem, they need to figure it out". I also tell them they wouldn't hesitate to give me a letter for breaking their rules so I'm not going against the rules to help them....and trust me I've been asked, my reply "Not happening, against the law/or ABF rules."
Agreed. My city guys bitch constantly about taking their lunch when they get back. I tell them to take between 4-6th hr. Will miss pickups. So? It’s on the fos to assign accordingly so guys get their lunch.

The why doesn't matter. Blame management, deregulation, labor, put the why wherever you want. None of what happened in the past matters. This is Yellow's reality today.
Read some of the other forums. Companies are hiring drivers they don't need. The end of Yellow is eminent and other carriers are bulking up to handle the extra freight.
This is Yellow's last chance at survival. A change of operations is expensive. Yellow has committed too much money for it to fail. Only the Teamsters Union can save Yellow now. Leadership is doing the right thing when the right thing is unpopular. Sean O'Brian needs to be a leader, not a politician saying what the membership wants to hear.

It matters to me what you think it is.
All of the above.
Poor management.
Early on, Yellow management failed to exercise due diligence. They should have studied the failed Associated Transport/Eastern Freightways merger. They should have looked at the problems with the ABF/Carolina merger that almost brought them down. Recognizing that neither Yellow Freight nor Roadway would survive alone made sense. Yellow's decision to grossly overpay with borrowed money was a huge mistake.
Deregulation.
The regulated industry closed the market to competition. Government controlled freight rates allowed poorly run companies to pass on the costs of inefficiency to the consumer. Companies had no incentive to control costs and allowed labor costs to soar to avoid work stoppages. Deregulation created a free market system of competition. Many companies were unable to adapt and shut down.
Labor.
Labor refused to accept the changes brought about by deregulation and continued to demand unsustainable compensation packages of wages and benefits. The consumer based American system of economics worked. Competition forced the industry to provide exceptional service at reasonable prices. Those companies, hundreds of them, that could not compete, closed.

All of the above.
Poor management.
Early on, Yellow management failed to exercise due diligence. They should have studied the failed Associated Transport/Eastern Freightways merger. They should have looked at the problems with the ABF/Carolina merger that almost brought them down. Recognizing that neither Yellow Freight nor Roadway would survive alone made sense. Yellow's decision to grossly overpay with borrowed money was a huge mistake.
Deregulation.
The regulated industry closed the market to competition. Government controlled freight rates allowed poorly run companies to pass on the costs of inefficiency to the consumer. Companies had no incentive to control costs and allowed labor costs to soar to avoid work stoppages. Deregulation created a free market system of competition. Many companies were unable to adapt and shut down.
Labor.
Labor refused to accept the changes brought about by deregulation and continued to demand unsustainable compensation packages of wages and benefits. The consumer based American system of economics worked. Competition forced the industry to provide exceptional service at reasonable prices. Those companies, hundreds of them, that could not compete, closed.
Thank you for taking the time to answer .

Agreed. My city guys bitch constantly about taking their lunch when they get back. I tell them to take between 4-6th hr. Will miss pickups. So? It’s on the fos to assign accordingly so guys get their lunch.
That kind of dedication to customers is what made Con-way successful. The problem lies in the fact drivers where willing to make up for managements shortcomings back then because we were compensated well. Now ,at best are compensation is average and drivers aren’t as willing to make up for those shortcomings any longer.

Deregulation.
Dereg was 43yrs ago. This cannot be blamed on Dereg. Sorry that dog don't hunt.

Labor.
Someone post the union gave back 5 times in the last 15yrs. A 15% pay and 75% pension cut. What more do they have to do. I sure the management got there bonus the last 15yrs

This is a huge problem everywhere. If we are driver just followed the rules/laws and stop risking our CDLs for there gain this ::shit:: will stop. Stop pulling/driving O/S equipment, pulling overweight loads, speeding, skipping breaks, and having no manifest or hazmat paperwork. If it ain't right it doesn't leave the yard. The ticket has your name on it not theirs and YOU are financially responsible for it.
I have made them swing loads for one marker light out. Talk about pissing people off.

**** like this give the teamsters a bad rap and just give companies ammo to use against them
You make a good point, but the story also mentioned that the people involved were subsequently fired from their positions by O'Brien. Good on top Teamster management for that.

My God, looking at the Yellow board these days. Much tension about the COO, the union pitted against mngmt more than ever, the drama is ongoing and getting worse. Looking at it all, it's not for me. Peaceful co-existence between union and management seems like a milestone that will never be reached, at least over at Yellow. I'm happy with the choice of employer I made early on and will observe the Yellow drama machine from a distance.

My God, looking at the Yellow board these days. Much tension about the COO, the union pitted against mngmt more than ever, the drama is ongoing and getting worse. Looking at it all, it's not for me. Peaceful co-existence between union and management seems like a milestone that will never be reached, at least over at Yellow. I'm happy with the choice of employer I made early on and will observe the Yellow drama machine from a distance.
"Yellow’s CEO is Darren Hawkins, appointed in Apr 2018, he has a tenure of 5yrs. His total yearly compensation is US$2.1m, comprised of 51.9% salary and 48.1% bonuses, including company stock and options."

and how many times did the they ask the union for give backs?????

I spent some time this morning writing the following paragraphs that I thought I'd use as a thread starter on the Yellow board, but I've decided to keep it here instead. If a Yellow driver or someone else cares to copy and paste to their board, then fine. So here goes.

I've been following the history between the IBT and Yellow for the last 15 years or so and I've drawn a conclusion. I don't think the union BA's care a whole lot about the members best interests. I think the loyalty of the BA's lies with their bosses to keep the dues money rolling in and union members are little more than the means to that end. I think those who claim to protect you and your interests are playing you for chumps. Think about the difference between how the company gets paid vs how the union gets paid.

A trucking company generates revenue from customers by moving freight from point A to point B regardless of whether or not its labor force is organized. If the customer becomes unhappy with the service, they go somewhere else. The company has to deliver a modicum of quality to the customer in order to survive. Teamster Inc, on the other hand, isn't subjected to the same market forces the company is. They get their money from dues that will roll in regardless of the quality of service provided to the membership because that's the agreement that was made long ago when enough past employees voted the union in. As long as members are employed, Teamster Inc. will continue to thrive and they aren't going to let your interests come between their interest in the company's long term survival. You're not getting your money's worth from your collective bargaining agent because they don't have to care about you in order to get paid.

The company can survive without the Teamsters, but Teamster Inc. cannot survive without you. You want to turn this ship around? You want to realize real gains in the workplace instead of being placated? You want to feel like you're worth your salt? Stop looking at the company as the bad guy and re-focus on Teamster Inc.

Start a company wide push for union de-certification and see what happens because nothing gets the attention of a company than the threat of losing customers.