FedEx Freight | Xtra Board positions

hocuspocus

TB Lurker
Credits
What is happening? I have heard that the great geniuses here at Fed Ex are creating Xtra Board positions everywhere, instead of doing the right thing!!! Is there any truth to this? Why would we need Xtra Board positions, there is not any xtra freight, no xtra runs and who is going on vacation???? So it seems that the Fed does not want to lay people off they want to help us by keeping us on the payroll and not working us! Sorry you know that that is not helping anyone but them, this plan eliminates severance pay and also the contribution to unemployment, as well as makes them feel good by saying we are trying to help you by not laying you off! What are they thinking, the freight gods are going to drop the freight feathers on us and we are going to be busier than ever next week!!!!!! Oh or YRC is going out of business again or oops I forgot Central is yet again closing their doors, come on people the economy is at an all time low, unemployment is at an all time high, the stock market is crumbling daily and our 401k is diminishing, it is going to take a long while for things to look better, It might not ever look better, who knows what the future holds, oops I forgot it holds an Xtra Board Position for all of us that are ignorant to think that is the best its ever going to get, and are just happy to have a job here. WAKE UP!!!!! look at the Xtra Board drivers that have been starving for the last 5 to 6 months, now add yourself to the bunch, if they have not been working what makes you think you are going to work???? Right, its just a nice way of saying we are doing the best we can to help you out and not lay off anyone!!!! Please people! sit at home and watch your world crumble, knowing that you have a job that's not working, or go on unemployment and bring home a check, or find another job??? Finding the other job is what needs to happen to keep the unemployment ratio down and also save the severance package money, as well as make the genius that thought of this package feel good about their plan, right!!!!! So what are you going to do??? sit at home and not work, watch your savings diminish, your life crumble, your family starve, or are you going to do the right thing? yep thats right we are all company men we are all going to help them out just like they are helping us out, we are going to find another job and resign to keep them looking good just what the big picture shows, another great plan worked, remember we are all just a bunch of truck drivers we don't know better, we are not as well educated as they are, they have a college degree and think that all we have received is the third degree. I can't beleive this is happening what went wrong???? what have we done to deserve this????? committment, dedication, pride, where has it all gone? what is it all worth? and what is it going to due for us??? NOTHING, YES THATS RIGHT A BIG NOTHING!!!!! So I guess I will see you standing on the corner with a cardboard sign "WILL WORK FOR FOOD" just remember the corner of main and 1st street is mine and my kids will run you off if you try to steal it from me!!!!!! Good Luck and God Bless!!!!

hocuspocus

I agree with you to an extent, I have been on the xtra board for about 4 years (my choice). I haven't wanted a bid run so far. If some people choose to sit at home and watch there life crumble around them, that is there choice. In this economy the way it is, I work 1 or 2 days a week for FXF, enough to keep my ins paid up and some child support going for the X, I work on the side some to keep eating and the bills paid up. You also have the choice of collecting partial unemployment for the days not worked and still keep your ins benefits. If the right job comes along, I will be gone in a heartbeat, this is a job, and that's it, and if that makes the higher ups on the hill feel better about themselves if I were to quit, then so be it, I could care less about how they feel. When I took this job years ago, I planned on retiring with this co. and I would still like to. Life is what you make of it. If you put an effort towards it, you will succeed in life.

Best of luck to everybody.

What is happening? I have heard that the great geniuses here at Fed Ex are creating Xtra Board positions everywhere, instead of doing the right thing!!! Is there any truth to this? Why would we need Xtra Board positions, there is not any xtra freight, no xtra runs and who is going on vacation???? So it seems that the Fed does not want to lay people off they want to help us by keeping us on the payroll and not working us! Sorry you know that that is not helping anyone but them, this plan eliminates severance pay and also the contribution to unemployment, as well as makes them feel good by saying we are trying to help you by not laying you off! What are they thinking, the freight gods are going to drop the freight feathers on us and we are going to be busier than ever next week!!!!!! Oh or YRC is going out of business again or oops I forgot Central is yet again closing their doors, come on people the economy is at an all time low, unemployment is at an all time high, the stock market is crumbling daily and our 401k is diminishing, it is going to take a long while for things to look better, It might not ever look better, who knows what the future holds, oops I forgot it holds an Xtra Board Position for all of us that are ignorant to think that is the best its ever going to get, and are just happy to have a job here. WAKE UP!!!!! look at the Xtra Board drivers that have been starving for the last 5 to 6 months, now add yourself to the bunch, if they have not been working what makes you think you are going to work???? Right, its just a nice way of saying we are doing the best we can to help you out and not lay off anyone!!!! Please people! sit at home and watch your world crumble, knowing that you have a job that's not working, or go on unemployment and bring home a check, or find another job??? Finding the other job is what needs to happen to keep the unemployment ratio down and also save the severance package money, as well as make the genius that thought of this package feel good about their plan, right!!!!! So what are you going to do??? sit at home and not work, watch your savings diminish, your life crumble, your family starve, or are you going to do the right thing? yep thats right we are all company men we are all going to help them out just like they are helping us out, we are going to find another job and resign to keep them looking good just what the big picture shows, another great plan worked, remember we are all just a bunch of truck drivers we don't know better, we are not as well educated as they are, they have a college degree and think that all we have received is the third degree. I can't beleive this is happening what went wrong???? what have we done to deserve this????? committment, dedication, pride, where has it all gone? what is it all worth? and what is it going to due for us??? NOTHING, YES THATS RIGHT A BIG NOTHING!!!!! So I guess I will see you standing on the corner with a cardboard sign "WILL WORK FOR FOOD" just remember the corner of main and 1st street is mine and my kids will run you off if you try to steal it from me!!!!!! Good Luck and God Bless!!!!

Buddy you sound like a reasonable guy, but do I understand you're complaining about the company not laying off people, everyone that I know who has been laid off would have much rather remained on the payroll. If given the choice I'll set home with benefits for a while and keep my seniorty to see what happens. Just two diffenet ways at looking at a situation, I suppose.

Moonshiner let me ask you a few questions. Are you a reasonable guy? What type of benefit package did you and the others that have been layed off apply for? Insurance!!!! remember you have to pay for a portion of that, how do you do that if you are not working???? The 401 k plan with no company match or contribution?????? aquiring vacation pay ??? if you were a road driver that is based on the money earned in the past 6 months!!!!! So what are the benefits out there that Im missing out on??? A discount on my purchase at Burger King/ T mobile/ Avis/ Budget Truck rental. I wish I could afford to go to BK for lunch, but a fact is a fact NO WORK = NO PAY!!! Sorry buddy but I guess we really do have two different ways of looking at things! Good Luck to you and your friends I hope for all of us things get better soon!!!!!!

Moonshiner let me ask you a few questions. Are you a reasonable guy? What type of benefit package did you and the others that have been layed off apply for? Insurance!!!! remember you have to pay for a portion of that, how do you do that if you are not working???? The 401 k plan with no company match or contribution?????? aquiring vacation pay ??? if you were a road driver that is based on the money earned in the past 6 months!!!!! So what are the benefits out there that Im missing out on??? A discount on my purchase at Burger King/ T mobile/ Avis/ Budget Truck rental. I wish I could afford to go to BK for lunch, but a fact is a fact NO WORK = NO PAY!!! Sorry buddy but I guess we really do have two different ways of looking at things! Good Luck to you and your friends I hope for all of us things get better soon!!!!!!
we get a discount at BK I didn;t know that dam i just had a wopperjr because I couldnt afford the big daddy WTF over:flame:

Yeah, two different ways of looking at the same situation. I'm not one of the ones who has been laid off, not yet anyhow. Personally I was very dissapointed when the two rounds of lay offs happened. My own personal choice would be to stay on the payroll and see what the spring brings. Things are tough everywhere. While FedexEx has done some things I don't agree with, most of what they have done has kept us as one of the strongest LTL carriers around.

I like all the extra question marks and exclamation points. It really adds some oomph!

Or should I say, oomph!!!!!!!

oaf

I like all the extra question marks and exclamation points. It really adds some oomph!

Or should I say, oomph!!!!!!!

oaf

I was more impressed in the fact that this was one sentence

Oh or YRC is going out of business again or oops I forgot Central is yet again closing their doors, come on people the economy is at an all time low, unemployment is at an all time high, the stock market is crumbling daily and our 401k is diminishing, it is going to take a long while for things to look better, It might not ever look better, who knows what the future holds, oops I forgot it holds an Xtra Board Position for all of us that are ignorant to think that is the best its ever going to get, and are just happy to have a job here. WAKE UP!!!!!

and that the post was all of one paragraph! Someone call Guiness!

Sorry HocusPocus.. I have to have a little fun here and there.. or my jigawatts will overtake my flux-capacitor and my head will explode!

what went wrong???? what have we done to deserve this????? committment, dedication, pride, where has it all gone? what is it all worth? and what is it going to due for us??? NOTHING, YES THATS RIGHT A BIG NOTHING!!!!!

You forgot Greed.. that is what got this country where it is now.. Joe Blow, living in the house he cannot afford. Driving the truck and motorcycle he can't afford.. John Doe getting approved for loans he has no business applying for..

At least FedEx has taken steps to cut cost and overhead without being pressed by a higher power. We were the first to make cuts while others were holding their hands out. In a year or two when things turn around, I think my decision to stay will be a prosperous one.

There has been xtra board for as long as I have been here. Maybe some centers have one too many, or maybe they are not used all the time, but still they are needed. I know men that gave up #2 and 3 city senority spots to go the extra board.. Why? more money... back to my first sentence.

Maybe this will be a lesson for Americans to make due with what they have, and store the extras.

The squirrels, ants, bears.. they still all store for the rough months.. Seems we have all forgotten what it was like to hurt a little.

I don't like hurting at all.. but maybe we all needed a reality check!

Some will not like this post.. and will probably bash it a little.. but, when they think about it hard enough.. they will silently agree!

Partial Unemployment is available in many states. Check it out, maybe it will help.

Gtrdone, sorry about the penminship remember I have had the third degree not the college degree. Really, now that I am only working a few days a week I might go back to college and do something with my life. You never know what will happen in the future! In regards to the Xtra Board try to figure this one out 8 bids at a satellite and 2 Xtra Boards are they really going to work, pay their bills, feed their family. This one is a rough reality and I'm sure it's not just at that location, but at many others. Gotta go it's time for me to work the corner, new sign today WILL WORK FOR FOOD OR FedEx tra MONEY

Gtrdone, sorry about the penminship remember I have had the third degree not the college degree. Really, now that I am only working a few days a week I might go back to college and do something with my life. You never know what will happen in the future! In regards to the Xtra Board try to figure this one out 8 bids at a satellite and 2 Xtra Boards are they really going to work, pay their bills, feed their family. This one is a rough reality and I'm sure it's not just at that location, but at many others. Gotta go it's time for me to work the corner, new sign today WILL WORK FOR FOOD OR FedEx tra MONEY

I don't have any degree's either...

On the point of going back to college.. is actually not a bad idea.. there is money in the stimulis package that will pay for you to go back to school.. and you can also use as a tax break.

2 xtra boards does seem like a lot at a small center with only 8 bids. But we all know that when things turn around, it happens over night. We see it every year. We will see the economy turn around before the American public does. That is how it happens in our industry. We saw it getting worse a long time before our leaders admitted to it. Probably is better to have two just in case, than to be left holding our jewels in our hands.

Were the 2 xtra boards working before the economy went south? Has it always been two, or did your center add one? Have you actually sat down and asked these questions to your center manager or talked to someone with some sense in linehaul (there are actually a couple).

It's easy to blow up and type a bunch of hype on the boards. but maybe, if you present it in a manner that is humane and mature with a member of management that knows and answer, they can break it down for you.

Decision are not just made on a whelm in this company. As many of you think they are, there are actually strategies that play out fo the success and growth of our future. And, although your center manager may be a butthole.. It is still his job to talk to you when you have concerns. There are no top secret missions going on here. If you can't get the answer form that person, go up a level. It will not get you on the black list. Most manager actually prefer it, but everyone is too scared from TB rumors to actually talk to anyone. (and I mean talk, conversate.. like you have some sense.. no screaming or acting a fool!)

Also, there is a link on the intranet now that came out yesterday. the subject is something about cost cutting measures.. you can actually send in your ideas on ways to cut overhead and cost..

I know that many of you have some good ideas.. you post them on here all the time (and some of you just need help!) The suits in this company are looking for ways.. and you guys are in it everyday. Let your voices be heard. It could be as little as turning a light off, or as much as changing something on your tractors to save money.

We can all scream for mercy.. but if we could only learn to communicate for sanity!

Cutting Work Hours Without Cutting Staff

It's cheaper to trim hours or pay than to slash staff—which is why companies are getting creative with alternatives like furloughs and unpaid leave
Cutting Work Hours Without Cutting Staff - BusinessWeek

:popcorn:

Vermont's Rhino Foods, which makes the cookie dough for Ben & Jerry's ice cream, recently sent 15 factory workers to nearby lip balm manufacturer Autumn Harp for a week to help it handle a holiday rush. The employees were paid by Rhino, which then invoiced its neighbor for the hours worked. President Ted Castle is looking to adopt a similar approach with salaried managers, too. "It's a lot easier to just do the layoff," says Castle. "But in the long term, it's not easier for the business."
See, I told ya this would work, this time next year I'll be an FedEX Ice Road Trucker.... :woohoo1:

FM

You forgot Greed.. that is what got this country where it is now.. Joe Blow, living in the house he cannot afford. Driving the truck and motorcycle he can't afford.. John Doe getting approved for loans he has no business applying for..

At least FedEx has taken steps to cut cost and overhead without being pressed by a higher power. We were the first to make cuts while others were holding their hands out. In a year or two when things turn around, I think my decision to stay will be a prosperous one.

There has been xtra board for as long as I have been here. Maybe some centers have one too many, or maybe they are not used all the time, but still they are needed. I know men that gave up #2 and 3 city senority spots to go the extra board.. Why? more money... back to my first sentence.

Maybe this will be a lesson for Americans to make due with what they have, and store the extras.

The squirrels, ants, bears.. they still all store for the rough months.. Seems we have all forgotten what it was like to hurt a little.

I don't like hurting at all.. but maybe we all needed a reality check!

Some will not like this post.. and will probably bash it a little.. but, when they think about it hard enough.. they will silently agree!

Partial Unemployment is available in many states. Check it out, maybe it will help.

Great post!