Yellow | Yellow Bankruptcy & The Devastation of Corporate Greed

I wonder if they already had jobs somewhere else before they finished off Yellow. The govt was all worried about G.M to big to fail you would think that a company losing 32000 jobs that already got a govt loan and giving out bonuses to management while crying we are broke would garner some attention of foul play.
Why the Gov got their money back paid in full all they want to do now is forget it ever happened.............................

Cwt is hundred weight. I referenced gross revenue per employee two different things.
Which carriers manage that metric?
The length of haul has too much bearing on revenue, thus longer haul freight will pay more per employee thus skew the data.
Unless this a KPI used by union carriers, hence why they keep failing??

Oh did you hit a "hot button" (and that's a pun!) Freezables-hoo boy! Instead of protecting the freezables when needed, which is very doable with proper planning, the management simply embargoed them. The worst thing a company can do to a customer is tell them "no!" When I was a combo guy, working the dock on the weekend and driving on Fridays and Mondays, we would gather all the freezables onto one or more trailers when the weather got super-cold, and put those trailers in the shop where it was 60 degrees. Just before dispatch time on Monday morning, we would pull those trailers to the dock, load the freezables right on the tail of the city units and instruct the driver to deliver them NOW! Worked like a charm. Outbound stuff had protective thermal blankets that worked well. Same deal-put it in the shop until "go-time" then blanket it and ship it, usually to a warmer climate. Worked quite well.
Too many of the front-line supervisors didn't know freight, and that wasn't their focus. Numbers were their stock-in-trade, and some of them didn't know numbers very well either.
I was fortunate- my managers knew that I knew what to do, so they gave me my paperwork and otherwise didn't disturb me unless they needed to convey information to me. Reality is, they frequently called me to ask me how to handle a situation involving another driver or his customer.
As for blaming others, that was the "order of the day". Dock blamed the city, city blamed the dock, they both blamed linehaul and linehaul blamed them. Why??? The higher-ups were so on the front-line peoples' tails about numbers, numbers, numbers. The higher-ups needed to think about the whole equation, not compartmentalizing it by supervisor/manager. Sadly, that typically isn't what happened.

That process is guaranteed to fail. If it is freezing and there are no heated trailers best to not pickup the shipment.
What happens once the freight is loaded onto a delivery unit and it is stop #5 or higher? After opening the roll up door several times the temperature inside the trailer is almost equal to that outside.
Best to avoid that business unless you have a competency at handling it, such a reefer or heated trailers. And lots of them.
Otherwise you will be paying huge claims.

That process is guaranteed to fail. If it is freezing and there are no heated trailers best to not pickup the shipment.
What happens once the freight is loaded onto a delivery unit and it is stop #5 or higher? After opening the roll up door several times the temperature inside the trailer is almost equal to that outside.
Best to avoid that business unless you have a competency at handling it, such a reefer or heated trailers. And lots of them.
As long as the trailer is moving the stuff will not freeze.

Which carriers manage that metric?
The length of haul has too much bearing on revenue, thus longer haul freight will pay more per employee thus skew the data.
Unless this a KPI used by union carriers, hence why they keep failing??
All data available is relevant to the company.
If you remember I said it was a raw number.
They watch bills per hour on dock.
They watch stops per hour on the street.
They watch bills and tonnage on line haul.
They watch average revenue per shipment.
They watch average tonnage per shipment.
They watch revenue per tonnage.
All of these numbers are “gross” numbers.
So if a carrier has less gross revenue per employee versus their peers, union or non maybe this would give them an indication that they are actually missing something.
Why was ABF almost double at time of closing? A union carrier.
What is KPI?

In theory, I think you're right. However, we did it successfully for a long time.

All data available is relevant to the company.
If you remember I said it was a raw number.
They watch bills per hour on dock.
They watch stops per hour on the street.
They watch bills and tonnage on line haul.
They watch average revenue per shipment.
They watch average tonnage per shipment.
They watch revenue per tonnage.
All of these numbers are “gross” numbers.
So if a carrier has less gross revenue per employee versus their peers, union or non maybe this would give them an indication that they are actually missing something
Why was ABF almost double at time of closing? A union carrier.
What is KPI?

A KPI is a Key Process Indicator, sort of the metrics that you listed.
I've never seen revenue per employee used. Most likely because if you utilize rail that will skew the number to look better. l lieu of using a multitude of line haul a long haul rail box will more revenue per employee than by using line haul drivers. Hence why I may not have seen this measurement. It is too inconsistent.
Not sure about ABF with this KPI as I do not really follow them too much.
I do look at the public data that ODFL puts out and it is amazing, a non union company..
The ODFL record of an OR of 69 still is the best I've seen ever in the industry.

A KPI is a Key Process Indicator, sort of the metrics that you listed.
I've never seen revenue per employee used. Most likely because if you utilize rail that will skew the number to look better. l lieu of using a multitude of line haul a long haul rail box will more revenue per employee than by using line haul drivers. Hence why I may not have seen this measurement. It is too inconsistent.
Not sure about ABF with this KPI as I do not really follow them too much.
I do look at the public data that ODFL puts out and it is amazing, a non union company..
The ODFL record of an OR of 69 still is the best I've seen ever in the industry.
Your reason makes no sense, once you talk rail and prior long haul. Irregardless the end result is total revenue divided by employees.
A good indicator that you are over staffed with non revenue generating employees.

Your reason makes no sense, once you talk rail and prior long haul. Irregardless the end result is total revenue divided by employees.
A good indicator that you are over staffed with non revenue generating employees.
If you need less drivers you get more revenue per employee, you move the same amount of freight by putting it on the rail and not on the highway..
Therefore less drivers are needed and the rail does the long haul work

If you need less drivers you get more revenue per employee, you move the same amount of freight by putting it on the rail and not on the highway..
Puff, when it comes to long linehaul by rail, the following axiom comes into play: You want it WHEN???? Here in the west, we had "shiny wheel" linehaul out of Chicago to Denver, Salt Lake and Bloomington CA. Also Bloomington to Denver, Bloomington to Salt Lake, also some Chicago to various Texas points. If it was an Exact Express in days of yore or TimeCritical in more recent days, putting it on the rail was very risky. Yes, they were less expensive but their time reliability sucked!

Puff, when it comes to long linehaul by rail, the following axiom comes into play: You want it WHEN???? Here in the west, we had "shiny wheel" linehaul out of Chicago to Denver, Salt Lake and Bloomington CA. Also Bloomington to Denver, Bloomington to Salt Lake, also some Chicago to various Texas points. If it was an Exact Express in days of yore or TimeCritical in more recent days, putting it on the rail was very risky. Yes, they were less expensive but their time reliability sucked!
Sorry to disagree but UPS has been a big rail user for years (50+ that I know of) and they are no slouch in the "on time" department.

Sorry to disagree but UPS has been a big rail user for years (50+ that I know of) and they are no slouch in the "on time" department.
Always glad to respond to your disagreements, Tri. Yes, UPS Ground standard frequently is seen on the rail. However, 3 Day Select goes by sleeper team for just the reasons I cited if it's going long-distance. We had supposed "hot-shot" rail out of Chicago to the points I've mentioned. BNSF Railway to Denver, frequently the Union Pacific to Salt Lake. Eighteen hours hub to hub if everything went right. It frequently didn't go right. So.. dock people and shuttle drivers waiting for the train to arrive, plus frequently a day delay to our customer. You couldn't trust it.
I remember when I was a shuttle driver, more than once we had a "hot" rail load where I would grab the chassis, pull abeam the container I was seeking, and the "packer" guy would drop the container right onto my back.

Always glad to respond to your disagreements, Tri. Yes, UPS Ground standard frequently is seen on the rail. However, 3 Day Select goes by sleeper team for just the reasons I cited if it's going long-distance. We had supposed "hot-shot" rail out of Chicago to the points I've mentioned. BNSF Railway to Denver, frequently the Union Pacific to Salt Lake. Eighteen hours hub to hub if everything went right. It frequently didn't go right. So.. dock people and shuttle drivers waiting for the train to arrive, plus frequently a day delay to our customer. You couldn't trust it.
I remember when I was a shuttle driver, more than once we had a "hot" rail load where I would grab the chassis, pull abeam the container I was seeking, and the "packer" guy would drop the container right onto my back.
When I was working, a pig from Jax to Miami ran nothing but, UPS, PIE, and Carolinas.
PIE's empties were hauled back free, I assume so were the others.
Our Jax to Miami bid drivers were paid 3 trips a week to stay home, this was for a month.
They claimed it was cheaper to run the pig and pay them to stay home.
BTW, one of the bid drivers filed a grievance to run the extra board while was getting paid.

Frequently?? How about regularly! RT, I was a feeder driver at UPS in the early 1970's and we took plenty of trailers to the rail every night. It was a frenzy to get dozens of trailers to the rail yard before RR cut time. That train was loaded with UPS and still is and the RR treated UPS loads with special care.

You focus only on drivers, employees who generate money.What about all the different levels of managers and special programs not to mention the ever so important Performance Solutions Engineer. How much money did these people generate daily verses the drivers?

You focus only on drivers, employees who generate money.What about all the different levels of managers and special programs not to mention the ever so important Performance Solutions Engineer. How much money did these people generate daily verses the drivers?
Their fair share is the correct answer. If they weren't contributing to the bottom line they wouldn't/shouldn't be there. Their contribution may not be as apparent, but it's there. How well all those cogs in the machine function together is reflected in the revenue per employee figure.

If we are both in the LTL industry and I generate $150,000 per employee, while you generate $200,000 per employee, you are clearly doing so more effectively than I. Maybe I have too many layers in management, maybe I have sales reps that aren't generating revenue commensurate with their earnings, maybe I have too many slugs on the dock or holding a steering wheel. In any case I need to look deeper into why it takes me 33% more employees to generate the same revenue you do.

Their fair share is the correct answer. If they weren't contributing to the bottom line they wouldn't/shouldn't be there. Their contribution may not be as apparent, but it's there. How well all those cogs in the machine function together is reflected in the revenue per employee figure.

If we are both in the LTL industry and I generate $150,000 per employee, while you generate $200,000 per employee, you are clearly doing so more effectively than I. Maybe I have too many layers in management, maybe I have sales reps that aren't generating revenue commensurate with their earnings, maybe I have too many slugs on the dock or holding a steering wheel. In any case I need to look deeper into why it takes me 33% more employees to generate the same revenue you do.

My take on a lot of upper management at Yellow and other companies.