Yellow | Yellow falling into Roadway's Shadow

IDK

TB Lurker
Credits
From what I'm seeing there's more Yellow's moving into Roadway facilities, who's technology supersedes Yellows and is already in place.
With it comes Roadways rules on how the work gets done and probably lots of grievances because of changing work rules. Our Yellow facility is now managed by Roadway's TM and I get the feeling their management team will be the ones to stay on? I see lots of obsservation going on and quick, sudden appearances out of know where. Not unusual.

I really think it comes down to who has the bigger place. Here in OKC RDWY is moving in with us. I don't think it matters who moves in with who. We all work for the same co. If the work rules are different it makes sense to use the ones that get the most work done. I know we don't like change. But in this day and age we need to at least look at the other side. If they have something that works better we should use it. If it dosen't work get ridd of it.

I agree with you on changes for the better. The Roadway facilities are set up for the newer technology so it doesn't matter who does the moving. The Regional Director of Ops talked to everybody today to calm peoples fears and answer any questions. He said both companies have been in biz for 85 years so there's good people running both companies and they intend to keep us moving forward despite this tough economy. Tell your customers who you are, keep them pumped and get their biz. That will keep people working.

I really think it comes down to who has the bigger place. Here in OKC RDWY is moving in with us.

Or maybe which property is the best to sell, if all things equal. If door space is the same, and one property won't sell, and another one is in desireable area, I'm guessing they'd sell the more valuable piece, and work from the older place.

Milwaukee is only 10 years old, plenty of room to expand if needed, land available all around it.

Door space, parking lot size, ease of entry/exit, and overall location can all affect where locations are.

BTW Yellow uses glaciers on their forklifts too.

From what I'm seeing there's more Yellow's moving into Roadway facilities, who's technology supersedes Yellows and is already in place.
With it comes Roadways rules on how the work gets done and probably lots of grievances because of changing work rules. Our Yellow facility is now managed by Roadway's TM and I get the feeling their management team will be the ones to stay on? I see lots of obsservation going on and quick, sudden appearances out of know where. Not unusual.

This is not quite true. It may seem this way from your view. Here at our place in Daytona Beach, Yellow was going to move in here over a year ago, before the announcement. They leased the terminal, and the owner was now selling and not renewing the lease. If I was Yellow, I would not buy this property either ! If you could get a chance to see the "list" of COO, the Teamsters have, there are just as many Yellow moving into Roadway and vice vera.

Roadway has the newer technology. But this simply means software, and programs. When I stopped by Yellow EOL that night, they had flat screen monitors ! OOOO ! I hope we get that hardware, when they move in ! :funky:

It really is going to be the "best" of both worlds, in the end...

The RDWY TM is still here for now. He's walking around pretty tall right now, since he found out the Yellow management here is gone... But , If I was him, I wouldn't be soo confident.--just yet--- A Yellow TM in Orlando, is overseeing the Yellow OPS for now. There are still 2 TM's involved here. One is onsite (RDWY) and one is 60 miles away ( YELLOW ).... You don't have to be "onsite " anymore to manage a place, especially when you got ADMINISTRATIVE SUPPORT I , like me.... hourly, non-union paid, and gets the job done..... And both these TM's already have more than one terminals they are assigned to....

My guess is, who gets less pay, and less paid time off....

The question that no one is asking is:

Who's work rules are to be utilized? If Yellow moves into a Roadway terminal, are the Roadway work rules the ones we follow or are the BA's going to establish new ones? I was just wondering because in my opinion, Yellow has better work rules.

I don't know about whose work rules are better overall, but I've always heard that Roadway guys rack up way more warning letters and suspensions than Yellow. Maybe that's because we have more lax rules, or maybe our rules are so unfair that we have to fight back by breaking them.

I do know that here in Portland, Yellow is a better place to be if you are one of the 10% on call. The more seniority you have on the call list, the more chances you have to pass on the call and take the next start time. Here at Roadway, nobody on call (on the dock at least) gets to do that without getting a letter.

YRC labor guy

The question that no one is asking is:

Who's work rules are to be utilized? If Yellow moves into a Roadway terminal, are the Roadway work rules the ones we follow or are the BA's going to establish new ones? I was just wondering because in my opinion, Yellow has better work rules.

Here is one for ya to think about, at panel which company labor guy will be sitting in on the panel??? I could see unfair and unjust scenerio happening here maybe being bias??? Or will they be like UPS and have an arbitrator sitting there also to settle cases that would be deadlocked.
Just my thinking here

Does anyone have any idea how they are going to dovetail the seniority lists together. Are they going by seniority dates or are they going to match one to one in progression. If they go by progression I lose 50 spots, If they do serniority dates I lose 15 spots. I understand that the central states is progreesion. how about the rest of the country

What I see now happening and I was hoping that someone else would have said something cause my ideas and opinions are only as good as my last hook & drop.

We have two companies here combining or merging or whatever spin you want to put to it. We hear they want to keep the brand names seperate but still function as one. This is alright fine and dandy but the biggest problem I'm seeing now is that, the two companies don't and need to communicate with each other since we are together at the hip now.

The two barns here will not be combined and are 12 miles apart from each other. I picked up a headload on my peddle and freight was heavy O/B wise and they didn't run that load until that next morning. If they had freight on the Yellow dock going into that lane how hard would it be to say I got some Akron or Richfield freight they could combine to make a trip.

Same for the city side if they got some freight but not enough to run it that day see if the other barn has the same situation. Put more people to work adds to the HW&P. I said enough don't kill me I am just the piano player peddling freight

Glasier's

Yellow in STL has Glasier computer's on thier jeep's(lifts) too.But no word on who is moving in with who,if at all.

I don't understand what you mean by progression. Can you help me out?

Does anyone have any idea how they are going to dovetail the seniority lists together. Are they going by seniority dates or are they going to match one to one in progression. If they go by progression I lose 50 spots, If they do serniority dates I lose 15 spots. I understand that the central states is progreesion. how about the rest of the country

last i heard or read from tyson was seniority was seniority ,start date was all that counts . none of this layed off guys dont count .