R&L | Yellow/roadway merger

leftlanecruiser

TB Lurker
Credits
I am assuming that everone got the e-mail from the webmaster about the Yellow/Roadway merger. If you took the time to follow the links and read it you/we can now see why all these Yellow sales people are being hired here. With all the turmoil and closings going on over there we are now set up to step in and pick up all the freight that they can no longer handle. The ex Yellow sales reps already have a relationship with the customers left behind,and we all know how important that can be. We have a few major accounts and I would imagine that they do too. If we can pick up some of those major accounts and a chunk of the regular accounts we will be in REALLY good shape. In reading over some of the other companies boards I have not found anything about Yellow people being hired there. It seems to me that we are ahead of the curve. I keep hearing that Sr. is back in charge now. I don't know if that is true,but this thinking ahead has Sr. written all over it.

shippers are not in love with these sales reps its priceing service os and d claims thats why yrc let this dead weight go.

amen---TIP2Me

It's friends and family part 2.....no one I have spoken to at Holland has anything positive to say about Mr. Z or how he ran their company

I hope it's not just a buddy thing. If Sr. is back in charge I don't think that he would put up with that crap. He may have gotten a recomendation on them,but he's no fool. If it is a buddy thing then they won't be around long. If they can't prove themselves then they will be out the door like the ones before them. Hell,if they keep rotating presidents I may just put in for it myself..hee hee. That's what made this company so great in the past--it was ran by a driver. My personal opinion is that you shouldn't be in management unless you've actually done the job of the people under you,like drive a truck. I really don't want a management job,I couldn't stand being behind a desk all day. Also you can get fired while you are at home in bed,for something that you didn't know anything about. Look at the people who have been here the longest,how many of them are in management? Most of the people who have been here for years and years are drivers--the backbone of the company.

I know for a fact that Sr is much more involved again, I know there was a meeting with Sr and the Northeast terminal managers about Buisness. He will not stand for Slackers so they better put up or move on

I know these guys and know how long they have worked together notice how they are all from central ohio. buddy buddy.

I hope it's not just a buddy thing. If Sr. is back in charge I don't think that he would put up with that crap. He may have gotten a recomendation on them,but he's no fool. If it is a buddy thing then they won't be around long. If they can't prove themselves then they will be out the door like the ones before them. Hell,if they keep rotating presidents I may just put in for it myself..hee hee. That's what made this company so great in the past--it was ran by a driver. My personal opinion is that you shouldn't be in management unless you've actually done the job of the people under you,like drive a truck. I really don't want a management job,I couldn't stand being behind a desk all day. Also you can get fired while you are at home in bed,for something that you didn't know anything about. Look at the people who have been here the longest,how many of them are in management? Most of the people who have been here for years and years are drivers--the backbone of the company.

leftlane you can't honestly think that you can't be a good manager unless you drove a truck before. I have never driven anything more then a cube van to deliver some hot freight. I know there are a lot of crappy managers out there, but there are also a lot of crappy drivers out there. I find the best drivers and managers are the ones looking to be most effective. When i was in the office I didn't know what was going on outside of the terminal, so I tried to be a good comunicator with my drivers, and my drivers did the same for me. I tried to see the big picture with my drivers, and we worked together to do the best job we could. I would still be in the office if the TM wasn't trying to pit 2nd and 3rd shift against each other all the time. The best managers are the ones that want to help the operation the best they can, that includes the linehaul drivers and the P+D drivers. The best drivers are the ones that are doing the same for the managers. After all we're all trying to do the same thing, and that's get the freight to the customer. But I find personal feelings about who we work always seems to get in the way because someone said something or did something, and no one tries to correct the problem they just let it fester. With my drivers we argued, we disagreed, we didn't always see eye to eye, but we didn't let those disagreements step in the way of things, and I think if everyone, management and drivers, communicated more, then everyone would get more done as a whole. Just my thoughts though, and there are managers out there that have been with the company as long as said terminal has been open. There are more long standing drivers with the company because there are more drivers period, but I agree good managers are hard to find, as well as good drivers.

Didn't mean to start an arguement,but think about this. Every trucking company out there wheither large or small was STARTED by a truck driver. The ones that have prospered and are still around still have the founder in the picture. Some examples off the top of my head are R&L,Estes,Wilson,Southeastern,Benton,and I think AAA Cooper. You may not have these companies in your area,but I bet there are some just like them. People that come from a dock background can manage drivers IF they listen to what the drivers are saying. If a driver tells you that he can't deliver at a certain place until a certain time,load the truck that way. If a linehaul driver tells you that his truck is dangerous with only one set of drive tires,listen to him. Unless you've risked your life on a daily basis like we do it's hard to understand how or what we are thinking. Once you've been on the road long enough you are bound to see death and misery up close and personal. Every time you see a truck off in the woods you wonder if that will ever be you. When you see bodies laying out in the road you wonder who screwed up enough to cause all that. One little screw up is all there is between life and death. When you see or hear about a driver killing someone you wonder if that will ever happen to you and how will you handle it. Those are some things that a dock person doesn't have to worry about. Odds are you won't get killed or kill anyone while on the dock or in an office.

Didn't mean to start an arguement,but think about this. Every trucking company out there wheither large or small was STARTED by a truck driver. The ones that have prospered and are still around still have the founder in the picture. Some examples off the top of my head are R&L,Estes,Wilson,Southeastern,Benton,and I think AAA Cooper. You may not have these companies in your area,but I bet there are some just like them. People that come from a dock background can manage drivers IF they listen to what the drivers are saying. If a driver tells you that he can't deliver at a certain place until a certain time,load the truck that way. If a linehaul driver tells you that his truck is dangerous with only one set of drive tires,listen to him. Unless you've risked your life on a daily basis like we do it's hard to understand how or what we are thinking. Once you've been on the road long enough you are bound to see death and misery up close and personal. Every time you see a truck off in the woods you wonder if that will ever be you. When you see bodies laying out in the road you wonder who screwed up enough to cause all that. One little screw up is all there is between life and death. When you see or hear about a driver killing someone you wonder if that will ever happen to you and how will you handle it. Those are some things that a dock person doesn't have to worry about. Odds are you won't get killed or kill anyone while on the dock or in an office.

That is so very untrue. 2 years ago I had 5 broken ribs and a collapsed lung because a dock worker wasn't watching where he was going. There may not be as high a rate in deaths buit they do happen. Check out Youtube, they have a video of a dock being crushed by a forklift because of a mistake. The industry as a whole is very dangerous on all ends, except for the office. Drivers are more at risk for deaths on the road but dock workers are more at risk for serious injury. Good managment starts with good training techniques and communication. And yes if a place is only receiving at a certain then yes route the truck that way, but if the driver doesn't tell you about the schedule then how will the router know. Like I said it's a team effort, and good managers know this. Good managers also use phrases like, "Thank you, Good/Excellent Job, and How can i help?" I come from the philosophy that if you are trained properly then as a manager I don't need to do anything, just be there for support or problem solving. You know your job and I don't want to interfere in that, just as i wouldn't want you to the same to me. Maybe I am from a different school of management, but it always worked for me, and my drivers, dock workers and preclerk didn't mind working under me. And if I needed a little extra help I almost always got it, because everyone was treated with respect, and as a team.

The problem i have seen here is that most supervision wants to rule from fear with a us verses them mentality and not wanting to work as a team. Never asking for or using input from drivers or dockworkers and they wonder why the moral is so low.

Can't you ***** find your own freight without stealing away from other companys
try good service that works best yrc will not close and you will not get there freight
now that you are on the stock market will see how you do as far as hollands sale people go good luck with them lol.

Can't you ***** find your own freight without stealing away from other companys
try good service that works best yrc will not close and you will not get there freight
now that you are on the stock market will see how you do as far as hollands sale people go good luck with them lol.

Who's on the stock market? Not us, we're a private, family owned company.
Maybe you should check your kool-aid, me thinks somebody slipped something in yours.............