XPO | yellow/roadway pulling conway pups

BlueColoredTrucks

TB Regular
Credits
So i passed by my old job (Yellow) on the way home the other day and the first thing that caught my eyes was a Con-way pup...not the new ones with blue, but the "old" ones with grey writting and it says "a cnf company"

On top of that it was the lead box of a set and the back box was a regular Yellow pup..

...how wierd i thought ... i was on the verge of calling my old supervisor at Yellow (i knew he was workign at this time) or calling up some of my old co-workers. I must have thought of everything:
mistaken took wrong pup at railyard (?????)
helped one of our stranded?
buy-out!!!???
joke?
THEFT!????

then i found out on our monday meeting for those of you who went.... they told us we should see a bunch of these and not to be alarmed because we are using yellow and roadway to bring some pups from the east coast to the west because somehow it's cheaper.....lol doesnt make sense to me but yea so there's an explanation and a reason...

should have taken a picture would have been nice to post here....also to post in the yellow/roadway forums would have been funny

i can hear the rumours now...."yellow buyout con-way" proof with pics of set...."i saw a set with a con-way and yellow pup this means con-way bought out yellow" etc etc.....etc...etc....

This is what's so frustrating. Some Conway employees aren't getting their hours and worse yet...some are getting laid off!
Why can't we do our own work?
Wasn't it bad enough to have independent long-haul contractors (i.e; CFI, Werner, US Express, etc.) pulling our freight?

Now to make matters worse (in regards to public perception)...the confusion this will cause is potentially dangerous. I know first hand of customers telling me how they would never use Yellow due to a bad experience. Disclaimer:This is not to point the finger at Yellow. It could just as well have been any other carrier. Some customer has vowed never to use any-and-every carrier again (and yes that includes us, I've heard it too) at some point in time.

But to think that a competitor is pulling our wagons is unthinkable. What if that set is involved in a fatal accident. It reflects upon us. It's enough that we have our own problems, now you introduce an entire new set of problems. I would have preferred it been an independent carrier pulling the sets (like Schneider or someone with no affiliation or competitive ties to the LTL industry)...
The more I think about it, the less respect I have for this company and how little stock they put in us drivers...they're not taking care of us, they're taking care of themselves...just like any other heartless and soulless conglomerate.

Then they want us to load properly and do less damage to freight so they don't have to pay out so much in claims, because it's affecting their million dollar bonuses...well, to hell with your load factor then. I'm floor loading everything from now on. "Think of the customer's freight first..." Then if we're over on trailers at the FAC...call YELLOW!!! They'll pull it to your barn...cheap too!!! -- I'm miffed.

Guys this has been hashed out on the boards in all forums many many times. The company's get a imbalance of equipment in one area of the country with little freight so they get other companies to pull their trailer to a area where it is needed and they have no freight going to it. This company loads their freight on your trailers going to where you need them. You get the trailer and the other company gets freight moved.
Oh by the way ALL companies do it.

well i have been in the ltl business since 1978 and this is old news when i was with cf we would load our frt on abf trls and send them to salt lake. when you have a major frt inbalance in certain geograhical regions you sometimes have to use a competitor to move your equipment its smart business.

Guys this has been hashed out on the boards in all forums many many times. The company's get a imbalance of equipment in one area of the country with little freight so they get other companies to pull their trailer to a area where it is needed and they have no freight going to it. This company loads their freight on your trailers going to where you need them. You get the trailer and the other company gets freight moved.
Oh by the way ALL companies do it.
Why don't they move them on rail cars like everyone else?I do agree that this going to cause questions/concerns with our customers.I saw Yellow doing a P&D route with one of our trailers last week.:duh:

I have seen allot of other companies pups come in loaded with our freight. But they are always brand new and have wood protectors on the sides (for the rail yard) then the trailer co. comes and grabs them (Wabash ect.). Lately I have seen JB Hunt and Conway used trailers with company drivers coming to pick them up.

Remember if you come to a Yellow yard to hook a set, you have to let one of their hostlers do it for you.

I have seen allot of other companies pups come in loaded with our freight. But they are always brand new and have wood protectors on the sides (for the rail yard) then the trailer co. comes and grabs them (Wabash ect.). Lately I have seen JB Hunt and Conway used trailers with company drivers coming to pick them up.

Remember if you come to a Yellow yard to hook a set, you have to let one of their hostlers do it for you.
Yea, I remember, back in the day, about once a month I would get a delivery of computer paper for our local Roadway Terminal. First time delivery, I just backed into the dock, walked up to the first person I saw, and handed him the delivery receipt.
That white shirt walking accross the dock caused quite an uproar! The supervisor got about six guys on forklifts, had me unloaded in about four minutes. All the while, the Steward, in no uncertain terms, explained to me that I had messed up by backing to their dock. Next time, find a spotter truck, give him the delivery receipt, drop my trailer, sit in the yard until he brings back my trailer, with signed receipt.
I told him, sorry, it was a dumb mistake, will not happen again.For the next couple of years, about once a month, I had an extra 1/2 hour break in the Big R yard.
Always wondered why Spartan did not get that freight, instead of Conway.
I still get a big smile when I think of myself, totally ignorant of the no-no I was committing, walking across that dock.
Hope this little story does not make anybody mad, maybe put a smile on your face!

So today we (FedEx Custom Critical) couldnt get a truck to a customer quick enough in Buffalo for 6 skids going to Syracuse. So the customer called Conway, had them pick it up and take it back to the barn. We were supposed to go in tonite and get the freight from Conway for a 0630 delivery on Monday morning. Well, instead, the customer now has Conway taking the freight tonite from Buffalo to Syracuse and then we are going into the Syracuse terminal at 0400 and picking it up to deliver (in syracuse) at 0630 monday morning. interseting i thought.

Rob

Yes, I have seen this many, many times in the past, and all the ltl company's work together to move equipment this way, and very low cost..one company get the free tralier, and the other gets his equipment move for free..can't blame the company for this move...I remember when cf and od and wakins, and yellow did this numbers of time..it's nothing to get alarm about, I saw a roadway pulling ups freight last month in N.C.