you better have those rubber grommets for the airline glad hand connections handy

Discussion in 'Saia' started by Dracula, Mar 18, 2015.

1. Dracula

Dracula Well-Known Member

Months ago, there was a thread talking about the new pups and how the company had changed from cut off valves to gladhands, on the airlines. I didn't like it then and after last night, I hate it. At the meet site, I was doing my pretrip walkaround, with the red button pushed in to feed air to the system. I popped the red gladhand off , of the rear pup, to make sure that I had air all the way to the back and then resecured the gladhand with no apparent leakage. Right before I left, I made one final walkaround and that's when I heard it and found it. The red line rubber grommet, on the rear pup, the one that resecured with no apparent leak, had blown out and was leaking. I resecured the glad hand and waited. Sure enough, a few minutes later the grommet blew out again. I replaced the grommet and waited but no problems with the new one. I hate those gladhands.

2. bareknucklebrawler

bareknucklebrawler Active Member

Not to mention i have had several of the pups where the original gladhands have already been replaced with ones the shop have built. It was a bad idea from the start, the original ones that come with the pups stick out 2 to 3 inches past the back of trailer. If they are backed up to a flat dock ,( which we have several throughout the system) they will break off and bend the valve connection. Bad Bad idea . Go back to original cut off valves!

3. bigbuck

bigbuck Active Member

Just another great example of some pencil pusher with no real world experience determining the type of equipment we use on a daily basis. Absolutely no excuse for this kind of grief.

moose likes this.
  4. bareknucklebrawler

I have noticed on the pups starting with 29 ,they have sunk the valves a little deeper and lowered them where the glad hand does not stick past the bumper. A small improvement, but a improvement nonetheless.

5. tired & hungry

tired & hungry Member

Never did get the reason for no valves seems to me the fake glad hands are more problematic.

6. bareknucklebrawler

They said we were having too many brake fires on trailers. Drivers were not completely shutting off valves or just not shutting them off at all.

7. bareknucklebrawler

The gladhands will still leak air if they are not properly put back on the valve. And I have had trailers where the previous driver left the service side hanging. How flippin hard is it to put the gladhand back where it goes ! But we all know a good thorough pre-trip will catch issues, or at least we are suppose to know it .

8. suicidejockey

suicidejockey Active Member

I had one the other night that had the little blue tab bent out if I had not had a pair of pliers / channel locks to squeeze it back together so it would seal I'd a been up the creek