Holland | YRC’s Third-Quarter Profit Slips

Benny Hill

I'm Back (kinda)
Credits
YRC Worldwide said late Thursday its third-quarter profit slipped to $36.6 million, or 63 cents a share, from $40.7 million, or 70 cents, a year ago.

Revenue declined to $2.38 billion from $2.46 billion a year ago, the less-than-truckload carrier said in a statement.

Its YRC National Transportation unit’s LTL revenue per hundredweight rose 6.3%, while tonnage per day fell 9%. Operating income fell 31.1% to $62.2 million.

The YRC Regional Transportation unit’s LTL revenue per hundredweight gained 5.3% and tonnage per day fell 17.2%. Operating income rose to $1.7 million, from $531,000 a year ago.

YRC’s logistics unit’s operating income rose 66.4% to $7 million, while its truckload unit lost $1.4 million, trimming a loss of $1.8 million a year ago......

Click on the link below for the full story:

Special Offer from Transport Topics

You said profit slips right? As in the company is making a profit, even in this economic climate? I don't think thats too bad, all things considered.

Quiddler I back read your post's before I responded to your post. You seem to be a smart dude. Why the secrecy with who you are affiliated with? Probably sales. Sacactic your just wrong for your comment. You've been around long enough to know that crap don't fly on our forum. Anyway, can't we enjoy a small bit of good news? Grizz

problem is ...it just sounds good but is not good news....means we cant make a profit without cannibalizing ourselves. we haven't made an operational profit in 4 or 5 quarters and now... the economy is in the crapper and we are headed into winter(toughest season for trucking)....need to make it through to spring to have a chance. hope Dollar has more contacts for borrowing....assuming 4th and 1st quarter losses already.

Anyone know what was said in the conference call today?
How long does it usually take for a transcript to show up?

Anyone know what was said in the conference call today?
How long does it usually take for a transcript to show up?

If you go to seeking alpha and put in the stock symbol YRCW, you can already read the transcripts from today. I have read them myself alot about the Yellow/Roadway merger.

The profit was a result of asset sales, not efficient operations.

So would you please tell us how you know this to be true? Or is this just your own opinion? We like facts to back up this type of statement, not just someone telling us facts in their own mind. Please enhance our own knowledge about the company that we work for, we're waiting to be enlightened.

YRC Worldwide said late Thursday its third-quarter profit slipped to $36.6 million, or 63 cents a share, from $40.7 million, or 70 cents, a year ago.

Revenue declined to $2.38 billion from $2.46 billion a year ago, the less-than-truckload carrier said in a statement.

Its YRC National Transportation unit’s LTL revenue per hundredweight rose 6.3%, while tonnage per day fell 9%. Operating income fell 31.1% to $62.2 million.

The YRC Regional Transportation unit’s LTL revenue per hundredweight gained 5.3% and tonnage per day fell 17.2%. Operating income rose to $1.7 million, from $531,000 a year ago.

YRC’s logistics unit’s operating income rose 66.4% to $7 million, while its truckload unit lost $1.4 million, trimming a loss of $1.8 million a year ago....

Click on the link below for the full story:

Special Offer from Transport Topics

Well now that you tried to impress us with your vast knowledge, tell us what it all means, could it mean that YRCW is up s*its creek or just in the sh*t house. Please tell us Benny.:biglaugh:

GBA:USA:

So would you please tell us how you know this to be true? Or is this just your own opinion? We like facts to back up this type of statement, not just someone telling us facts in their own mind. Please enhance our own knowledge about the company that we work for, we're waiting to be enlightened.
I am tired right now (trying to read the transcript) or I would provide a link but it is in the 3rd quarter earnings report. Take out the profit from the sales of the property and other stuff they sold from the terminals they shut down and the profit turns into a loss of 30 something cents a share.

YRC Worldwide Inc. Q3 2008 (Qtr End 09/30/08) Earnings Call Transcript - Seeking Alpha

The way it sounded to me is there would be some more possible layoffs around Thanksgiving for all of YRC? Let me know what everybody thinks about this.

Use the link above to go to the article and in accordance with seeking alphas published copyright policy, here is the quote that worries me:

William Zollars

Well normally around Thanksgiving we’re pretty aggressive in terms of reducing the infrastructure we’ve got which is primarily labor but also involves equipment and so this year we’re going to be even more aggressive just because we’re very uncertain about where the economy is headed but the primary focus for us is always to make sure that we have the right number of people to handle the business volume and the right equipment.

John Barnes - BB&T Capital Markets

Do you have an idea how much cost you’re planning on taking out in those couple of months?

William Zollars

We’re usually very aggressive once we get to Thanksgiving and all I will say is we’re just going to be a little more aggressive then we would normally be just because we really want to make sure that we’re planning for the worst hoping for the best.

www.seekingalpha.com

Sounds like a poor Christmas for a lot of people.

Well now that you tried to impress us with your vast knowledge, tell us what it all means, could it mean that YRCW is up s*its creek or just in the sh*t house. Please tell us Benny.:biglaugh:

GBA:USA:

Huh? I posted some info from an internet news source about transportation that has some info about Holland and YRC. I understand that it may seem impressive to you but anybody can do the same thing, really. If you listen or read the 3rd quarter conference call from Friday, Bill Z. says every things great. If you believe the info that YRC puts out, then I guess you have to believe Bill Z. too?

Read: YRC Worldwide Inc. Q3 2008 (Qtr End 09/30/08) Earnings Call Transcript - Seeking Alpha

Listen: YRC Worldwide- Event Details

I am tired right now (trying to read the transcript) or I would provide a link but it is in the 3rd quarter earnings report. Take out the profit from the sales of the property and other stuff they sold from the terminals they shut down and the profit turns into a loss of 30 something cents a share.

Ok over the past few days I have spent a lot of time pouring over financial statements that are a struggle to understand and I have come to the realization that I miss the time when I could just be a good truck driver and not have to worry about all this stuff.
It is probably good for me to learn this stuff but I still don't like it.