Estes | YRC drivers

chevyman

TB Lurker
Credits
Well if YRC goes down, how many of them do you think will come to the Big E and try to get hired? Do you think they can get hired (or will)? Has any terminals started hiring YRC employees yet that you know of? I feel bad for these guys but I know how Rob is about the union. I'm not trying to start a union debate, just curious about their chances.

we have a tm, a dispatcher, and a city driver. tm came here over a year and a half ago though. city driver got laid off, and dispatcher lost out on consolidation.

My question is: Will it end up being a good move for the YRC worker to work for Estes....

Say you are still working 40+ at YRC, but close to the bottom, working midnights and every weekend on the dock....and if YRC is still around, probably will be that way for a while. You consider more losses likely for YRC which could include lowering benefits and/or being laid off soon....

You get offered a job at Estes...TODAY.... would you take it and never look back? Even though if YRC pulls through, you may be kicking yourself?

As it sits right now, how much less dollar-for-dollar do you think we will be seeing on a weekly basis?

The work hours are more appealing, but how much do we not know until we get in there?

My question is: Will it end up being a good move for the YRC worker to work for Estes....

Say you are still working 40+ at YRC, but close to the bottom, working midnights and every weekend on the dock....and if YRC is still around, probably will be that way for a while. You consider more losses likely for YRC which could include lowering benefits and/or being laid off soon....

You get offered a job at Estes...TODAY.... would you take it and never look back? Even though if YRC pulls through, you may be kicking yourself?

As it sits right now, how much less dollar-for-dollar do you think we will be seeing on a weekly basis?

The work hours are more appealing, but how much do we not know until we get in there?

Number 1, as long as I've been at the Big E, I've never heard of any Yellow drivers being offered a job from Big E.Ride it out and see what happens.

Number 2 If you are getting 40+ hours at YRC, why quit.

Number 1, as long as I've been at the Big E, I've never heard of any Yellow drivers being offered a job from Big E.

Number 2 If you are getting 40+ hours at YRC, why quit.Ride it out and see what happens.

E and the "U"

Believe me the guys at YRC and USF aren't too thrilled with the union or the Teamsters right now. I don't think that they would wish them on anybody!!

well we do have a holland guy as a city driver and a yellow driver as a linehaul driver so YRCW employees not being offered jobs is not true. especially here in Kansas city a good driver is a good driver no matter where he comes from

Well i'm not suggesting that they not be offered jobs, because the city driver we hired is apparently a good driver (and friend of the tm) I'm just wondering what is in the back of ole Rob's mind when it comes to hiring them because he has spent alot of time trying to keep the union out then all of the sudden a bunch of old union hands are trying to get hired at his company, especially YRC drivers that say they would never stoop to a company that didn't pay OT or delay pay. No matter how much some of these guys get screwed by the union, some of them are DIE HARD union members and would still try anything to get the union in here. I'm just wondering if the thought has crossed his mind, that's all.

Well i'm not suggesting that they not be offered jobs, because the city driver we hired is apparently a good driver (and friend of the tm) I'm just wondering what is in the back of ole Rob's mind when it comes to hiring them because he has spent alot of time trying to keep the union out then all of the sudden a bunch of old union hands are trying to get hired at his company, especially YRC drivers that say they would never stoop to a company that didn't pay OT or delay pay. No matter how much some of these guys get screwed by the union, some of them are DIE HARD union members and would still try anything to get the union in here. I'm just wondering if the thought has crossed his mind, that's all.

Key word there is "SOME" There are plenty of younger generation union guys that are in the union by default...at the bottom of the totem pole and getting a different taste of the union.... Just something to think about

When you have 7 to 8 months of unemployment in you tend to bend a little. I would be happy to have a job with moderate pay and even pay in some for the health insurance. Those big dollar jobs are gone.
:smilie_132:

Good job

I worked for a ltl carrier for 5 years and they went out of bussiness, then worked for holland for three and laid off, i was still working laid off but got on with the big e before the stuff hit the fan, i had a gut feeling to get out and iv,e been with big e for a year now and the managers have told me and everyone that i am a great city driver. I cant think of many of any other of my former coworkers that i would vouch for at the big e. They have been union too long and wouldn't do the work. Facts are facts and but if you are a willing driver you will get hired on but if you are big lipped and lazy you might have to get into a sleeper cab.

I worked for a ltl carrier for 5 years and they went out of bussiness, then worked for holland for three and laid off, i was still working laid off but got on with the big e before the stuff hit the fan, i had a gut feeling to get out and iv,e been with big e for a year now and the managers have told me and everyone that i am a great city driver. I cant think of many of any other of my former coworkers that i would vouch for at the big e. They have been union too long and wouldn't do the work. Facts are facts and but if you are a willing driver you will get hired on but if you are big lipped and lazy you might have to get into a sleeper cab.
What if I work hard but happen to have big lips. Do I still have a chance!!!!:biglaugh:

Geeze Dude,
You forgot to add "shiftless"! WOW!

What if I work hard but happen to have big lips. Do I still have a chance!!!!:biglaugh:

I've been here for 9 1/2 years.The only place my lips go is on my wifes lips.And an occasional sud.

Shoe, where you been. Haven't seen ya in a while.Holding down the fort at Holland?

When CF and Crescent went out of business, the drivers that came over to the non-union ltl carrier i was working for, they never tried organizing or anything.

Alot of people out of work all at once, they were happy to be able to put food on the table for thier families.

OK MAYBE A LITTLE HARSH IT WILL BE A CHANGE FOR ANYONE STEPPING OUT OF YRCW TO BIG E BUT I FEEL BETTER NOT HAVING TO WORRY ABOUT MY JOB AND WHO IS SENIOR TO WHO BLAA BLAA GOOD LUCK TO ALL WE ALL NEED JOBS AND BENNIES TAKE IT TO THE HAMMER LANE WHEN YOUR WAGON IS EMPTY- NO DEEP MEANING THERE ADIOS GOOD NIGHT TO ALL WHO POST AND HAVE POSTED ON TRUCKING BOARDS. IT KEEPS ME UNDER CONTROL WITHOUT A CB MIC IN MY HAND. IT IS ALMOST THURSDAY I THOUGHT IT WAS GOING TO BE MONDAY FOR A MOMENT. TE HEE HEE.:shift::woot::USA:

When CF and Crescent went out of business, the drivers that came over to the non-union ltl carrier i was working for, they never tried organizing or anything.

Alot of people out of work all at once, they were happy to be able to put food on the table for thier families.

i agree,never will i pay union dues again.just need to protect my family.

i agree,never will i pay union dues again.just need to protect my family.

Are you saying you wouldn't go back to where you came from if big E didn't hire you and your former company asked you to come back?? If an employer had any sense he'd would be a little leary with that statement.
I have a dog that loves cheesburgers and probably believes that cheesburgers are good for her. I can pour a big healthy bowl of dog food under her nose. She won't touch that stuff knowing she has a chance to eat my cheesburger. If I give it to her she'll devour it and leave the dog food alone. If I don't let her have it she'll wait a while then start nibbling on the healthy stuff. If I take the dog food away sooner or later she'll knock down the trash can and look for just about anything.