Yellow | YRC Forces Drivers To Work for Free

truckinus

TB Veteran
Credits
March 2, 2009: Here’s one way YRC can cut costs: make Teamsters work off the clock.

That’s what Roadway management is trying to do at their West Palm Beach, Fla. terminal.

Pick-up and delivery drivers there have to fill out an Hours of Service log whenever they work over 12 hours.

For years, P&D drivers have filled out these logs on paid, company time. Now a new terminal manager is insisting that drivers fill out these logs after they clock out.

With several Teamsters on layoff, drivers are going over 12 hours two or three times every week. It takes about 10 to 15 minutes to fill out the log.

One driver estimates that he has filled out the log over 30 times in the last six months—that’s five hours of work that should have been paid at the Teamster rate.

Drivers are filing a grievance every time they are forced to work on their personal time.

YRC Forces Drivers To Work for Free | Teamsters for a Democratic Union

Was this always the norm at Roadway?

Over 8 years ago at CF here, we had this problem. Our steward called the BA, and according to him the company was right. This had been grieved, and decided. Logging would be done off the clock. That was local 509 here in the Carolinas, I don't know about elsewhere... :nutkick:

Easy Fix ,carry your log book with you and log on the side of the road all except for the last line and then do it when you get in.
If they want to get crappy ,remember logs should be kept up to the last change of duty status so carry your book and do it during the day. I did that in the city when they got snotty about it and it did'n take long to cool it off.
For every way they can think of to screw us ,we can think of a hundred to get it back,with interest.Remember ,a supervisor has to figure out how to screw many men ,but,all I have to do is sit and stare out the windshield and figure out how to screw ONLY him.:duh:

Easy Fix ,carry your log book with you and log on the side of the road all except for the last line and then do it when you get in.

That's how I've been doing it for 22 years....doesn't take much common sense...or does it? I Carry a stash of T-cards with me too and fill it out before hand.

Easy Fix ,carry your log book with you and log on the side of the road all except for the last line and then do it when you get in. <snip>

That's how I've been doing it for 22 years....doesn't take much common sense...or does it? I Carry a stash of T-cards with me too and fill it out before hand.

All well and good Annieo, but as you know when we (road drivers) stop on the side of the road the clock stops and the cash register closes (unless we're on paid breakdown or something like that). We still do logs for free most all of the time (and T-cards too)! :smilie_132:

Good enough. I'm one of the few luck enough to get a work call today so I'm off to Phoenix...don't know which terminal yet...but off I go non -the -less. GOOD LUCK.

Almost always this comes down to a local terminal issue between a TM who feels it's the employees time. It's not, if the company wants you to fill out any form, paperwork or log, it's should be paid time. Regardless if it's a requirement by law or not.
As for road drivers, depending on the local supplement, we give time at each stop so filling out the log is usually done then ... for free.
City operation is different, they should be paid for all work, since the company kept them busy over the 12 hour period, then they should pay to fill out the required paperwork that goes along with it.

March 2, 2009: Here’s one way YRC can cut costs: make Teamsters work off the clock.

That’s what Roadway management is trying to do at their West Palm Beach, Fla. terminal.

Pick-up and delivery drivers there have to fill out an Hours of Service log whenever they work over 12 hours.

For years, P&D drivers have filled out these logs on paid, company time. Now a new terminal manager is insisting that drivers fill out these logs after they clock out.

With several Teamsters on layoff, drivers are going over 12 hours two or three times every week. It takes about 10 to 15 minutes to fill out the log.

One driver estimates that he has filled out the log over 30 times in the last six months—that’s five hours of work that should have been paid at the Teamster rate.

Drivers are filing a grievance every time they are forced to work on their personal time.

YRC Forces Drivers To Work for Free | Teamsters for a Democratic Union

Was this always the norm at Roadway?

The simplest solution is to fill the log out daily , while you are working . That wat you only need a minute for the final entry when you turn in your paperwork at the end of the day .

filling out logs is d.o.t. regulated which you knew when you got your license.therfor your
employer does not have to pay. its on your time..just like renewing your license and getting recertified its all on your dime.filling out a grievance wont help..your BA should know this and advise you.

We used to fill them out at npme whenever we worked over 12 hours a day. Then when the new hours of service rules went into effect we didn't have to fill them out any more. And usually filled them out on the clock.

mr race-cat u have good attitude when u help YRC to go belly up u will have plenty of time to fill out logs.
As far as me helping yrc go belly-up,these people don't need any help,and as far as my attitude,they created me now live with me.Thank you Mr.Jack Rudisill.
Now for a little more information,Many times I have offered x-tra help and advice , that my 27 years of experience has taught me,but the present management does not want to hear it and tells me that they run the show and do not want my help or advice for me to shut-up and drive the truck, so I do,and no-more. I will be paid for my time spent . At one time we had supervisors who listen to your ideas and say &quot;yes we can do that,good idea&quot; or&quot; no we can't do that and here is why&quot;.Now they want you to know ONE thing,--THEY ARE THE BOSS AND YOU DO IT THEIR WAY. Now you see where THEIR WAY has gotten this company,right to the brink of destruction,And I have to give 10% of my money to the ones who have caused this train wreck.
I once had a great attitude towards Yellow ,I bought the nice uniforms out of my pocket and was so proud to wear them.This company went from the finest Trucking company in the world with experienced managers and dispatchers to the mess it is now with total idiots in charge so,hence my attitude has followed right along with the stock price.:smilie_132:

Help!

All well and good Annieo, but as you know when we (road drivers) stop on the side of the road the clock stops and the cash register closes (unless we're on paid breakdown or something like that). We still do logs for free most all of the time (and T-cards too)! :smilie_132:
Hey whats a T-Card ?:bowdown: