Yellow | YRC Freight Columbus-857 Barn is a Ghost Town!

Your "guess" seemed to indicate some predisposed opinions towards Roadway Express. And I will reiterate, your opining on subjects you know nothing about should probably be avoided. Which would be equally "gentlemanlike". It is glaringly obvious you never worked for Big R.
And there you are mistaken. I DID work for big R as a casual on two different stints nine years apart.

FM, does that mean all of the equipment has been taken by/to Ritchie Bros.?? I see an "open-air" dock. Let me guess; this was a Roadway facility prior to the merger in 2009. Yellow tended to put doors on buildings to keep the weather out.
I remember yellow saying every break had no doors,we had doors at end of line barn,they said we were lucky ! REAL NICE PEOPLE TO WORK FOR,HAD A ANSWER FOR EVERYTHING TO INGNORE ANY REQUEST.

Why would you put doors on a dock that operates 24/7?

In SLC the door bumpers were installed and were told it was our safety bonus.
Truth is they could not keep the snow and rain from making it to slick to work.
When the dock extension was built their was no insulation under the metal roof.
Was like an oven in their come August and a rain storm every morning from the moisture falling off the ceiling soaking the freight beneath it.
A few big claims and here come the insulation .
The brain surgeon/ supervisors would plug the doors up with empty trailers when it was dam hot.
When the cold winds came they would leave the doors open.

Perhaps you should confine your comments to those things you have some knowledge of. Roadway's terminal in Colombus was located on Frank Road east of I-71 on the east side of the city. The Yellow toilet was located west of Hillard-Rome Rd. and south of I-70 on Fisher Rd. on the west side. Yellow was FAMOUS for open docks. Chicago Ridge was another. The Chicago Ridge terminal was built by Gateway, and by modern standards was a decrepit dinosaur.
Indy was WIDE Open. I spent many a night working Indy’s dock in -20 degree actual temps, plus the wind. And, since Indy is on the end of the airport, there is no wind blockage anywhere.

Three weeks ago, the old Indy High School Rd Terminal (bought by XPO, I’ve heard for $60 million!) was packed with equipment. Drove by it Saturday, it looks like 2/3 of the equipment is gone, and contracted tractors were busy pulling out what’s left. As I drove by Richie Bros on Ohio I70, exit 66- their lot has every space packed with Yellow equipment.

In SLC the door bumpers were installed and were told it was our safety bonus.
They couldn’t install bumpers or doors in Indy if they had wanted to. The support beams were spaced 10’ (maybe 12’?)apart, and 2’ back from the edge. There’s no wall or beam to attach anything to. It truly defines wide open! Plenty of room between trailers to work freight, but no way to stop the wind.

Dock was rough as a cob. Started filling in the drag-lines about late 1990s. Break room in the basement. Brain-suregons I worked with would deliberately plug the toilets so they’d flood the floor- thinking they were getting back at Management. Stupid- Management toilets were upstairs on a different system….

I believe it was originally built by TMX, about 1970? The old Preston Terminal on Holt Road was also a TMX built terminal From the 1960s. Old Dominion bought that one, bought the old CF place next door, and built a new Super Terminal to replace those, about 15 years ago.

Last edited:
Indy was WIDE Open. I spent many a night working Indy’s dock in -20 degree actual temps, plus the wind. And, since Indy is on the end of the airport, there is no wind blockage anywhere.

Three weeks ago, the old Indy High School Rd Terminal (bought by XPO, I’ve heard for $60 million!) was packed with equipment. Drove by it Saturday, it looks like 2/3 of the equipment is gone, and contracted tractors were busy pulling out what’s left. As I drove by Richie Bros on Ohio I70, exit 66- their lot has every space packed with Yellow equipment.
I see whatever dealership by Sam Jones has had half dozen YRC white Volvos for couple months. Wyoming, MI yard has all the equipment since the gate was locked.

White, speaking of Wyoming, Michigan I deliver to a Storage Unit in Grand Rapids and Big Rapids every Saturday. This is what Grand Rapids looked like Saturday Morning…. I had run out of hrs, and spent the night there. Woke up 5am, a pickup with a plow needed me to move so he could plow. I came around the corner of the building, and he had plowed enough for a pickup truck- but not enough for a sleeper pulling a 53’er!!! Good thing I carry my own shovel…..

IMG_40469dc17099665efa8e.md.jpeg

The brain surgeon/ supervisors would plug the doors up with empty trailers when it was dam hot.
When the cold winds came they would leave the doors open.

Which came first? That ^^^^ or the 5th wheel grease on their phones? That's how operations work when you have men-children on each side feuding over contracts and grievances.

Whoever said Yes Michigan gets snow, but they take care of their roads……. I found it somewhat sub-optimal!

IMG_40477ef6050ea86bfa88.md.jpeg
IMHO only Wyoming does LESS to maintain their roads than Michigan. BTW, I was looking at some pictures the other day. And came across the one you sent me a few years ago from Wyoming. I believe it was on US 30. Looked very similar to this one! :hilarious: :hilarious: :hilarious: