Yellow | YRC lays off 15% of labor force

Quiddler

TB Lurker
Credits
YRC Worldwide Inc. will lay off about 3,750 drivers and dockworkers as it merges its Yellow Transportation and Roadway carriers, a 15 percent reduction in its 25,000 employees, a company spokeswoman said Wednesday.

You should post most things here just in case

TEAMSTERS / NON-UNION DEBATE FORUM this is where the teamster drivers and the non union drivers debate,this forum is not for those sensitive drivers or those who get your feelings hurt easily

Yrc is 1.19 billion $$$$ in debt now! Will reqiure a lot more cutting, slashing and burning!!! As there 3q comments were they expect tonnage to decrease through 2009!!! This is only the tip of the iceberg!!!
Is there enough lifeboats! "captain"

I continue to be amazed at how defensive the people on these boards are. I am not laying these people off. My heart goes out to them and their families. I was just relaying very timely information to people that this will affect directly.

Here is the link. Godspeed to those affected.

YRC will lay off 15 percent of employees - Kansas City Business Journal:

First of all....I was not being defensive about it...your post title said "YRC lays off 15%....as if it happened today...it should have read... "will lay off" 15%...we do not know the final count until after all is said and done.

Whenever I quote someone, I always link the article for all to see, so that the credibility of the post is not questioned.

I don't post anything that is not well documented....nothing for me to be defensive about.....good luck.....KK

Anybody that has their ear to the ground already knows how many people are laid off anyway.....the doom and gloomers are just solidifying their own positions in the world. They were begging people to stay in HSB last night instead of kicking them out like they ususally do......You couldn't find a path to walk on the dock in CTI last night.....end of the month, stock has been up the last few days.....independent thought and perceptions will vary greatly as to the state of affairs. Just keep lacing your boots up and doing what they are paying you to do and all will be well.

In dallas we have 20 layed off and they are forcing two hours overtime on all the dock workers. They were standing by the timeclocks to make sure no one left.

This is not old news, this is new news that was announced this afternoon.

The total number of employees is 3,750. This is an accelerated lay-off to speed the Yellow/Roadway integration. It is in addition to those already laid off

One correction on my part. The 3750 number is 6% of the workforce, not 15%. The number of employees was incorrectly stated in the original article.

Here is an updated link per popular request

YRC Worldwide to cut 6 percent of work force: Financial News - Yahoo! Finance

These are tough times in the trucking business and we should not jump on people for just relaying information. We all feel the pressure of the current slowdown and complete disclosure of what is going on helps us all form more informed opionions.

I hate to see announcements like this come through the pike as I have many friends and family tied to this company...hence my interest. That does not mean that we shouldn't relay the info.

Article in Reuters:

CHICAGO, Oct 29 (Reuters) - No. 1 U.S. trucking company YRC Worldwide Inc (YRCW.O: Quote, Profile, Research, Stock Buzz) is to cut 3,750 hourly jobs as part of ongoing efforts to revamp operations at two struggling regional units, a spokeswoman said on Wednesday.

The job cuts will consist of dock workers and truck drivers at USF Corp and Roadway, representing roughly 6 percent of YRC's total work force of 58,000.

The timing for the layoffs has yet to be determined

Article accuracy?

Article in Reuters:

CHICAGO, Oct 29 (Reuters) - No. 1 U.S. trucking company YRC Worldwide Inc (YRCW.O: Quote, Profile, Research, Stock Buzz) is to cut 3,750 hourly jobs as part of ongoing efforts to revamp operations at two struggling regional units, a spokeswoman said on Wednesday.

The job cuts will consist of dock workers and truck drivers at USF Corp and Roadway, representing roughly 6 percent of YRC's total work force of 58,000.

The timing for the layoffs has yet to be determined

I posted this article in the news article thread.I think it may be in error since Roadway is not a regional carrier

Percentages

This is not old news, this is new news that was announced this afternoon.

The total number of employees is 3,750. This is an accelerated lay-off to speed the Yellow/Roadway integration. It is in addition to those already laid off

One correction on my part. The 3750 number is 6% of the workforce, not 15%. The number of employees was incorrectly stated in the original article.

Here is an updated link per popular request

YRC Worldwide to cut 6 percent of work force: Financial News - Yahoo! Finance

These are tough times in the trucking business and we should not jump on people for just relaying information. We all feel the pressure of the current slowdown and complete disclosure of what is going on helps us all form more informed opionions.

I hate to see announcements like this come through the pike as I have many friends and family tied to this company...hence my interest. That does not mean that we shouldn't relay the info.

I think this is the first article that I saw on the subject.I posted this yesterday at 01:36.
www.kansascity.com | 10/27/2008 | 3,750 YRC jobs on the line with merger

As to the correction on the percentages you quoted, on one hand, 15% of a base of 25,000 is 3750.
The other article used a total work force of 58,000 wich comes out to be around 6% of that number.

So either way the number is about the same.

The other thing I am noticing is that the total work force numbers being quoted in these articles is shrinking.
Last year it was 70,000 then 66,000 then 60,000 now 58,000.