Holland | YRC saved

Correction: Jimmy Carter got the Deregulation bill enacted.

Next time do a little research. It was good ole Jimmy Carter that got trucking deregulated. Many of us were driving for carriers that fell quickly after the bill was signed into law.

President Jimmy Carter followed Ford's lead by appointing strong deregulatory advocates and supporting legislation to reduce motor carrier regulation. After a series of ICC rulings that reduced federal oversight of trucking, and after the deregulation of the airline industry, Congress, spurred by the Carter administration, enacted the Motor Carrier Act of 1980. This act limited the ICC's authority over trucking.

Both the Teamsters Union and the American Trucking Associations strongly opposed deregulation and successfully headed off efforts to eliminate all economic controls. Supporting deregulation was a coalition of shippers, consumer advocates including Ralph Nader, and liberals such as Senator Edward Kennedy. Probably the most significant factor in forcing Congress to act was that the ICC commissioners appointed by Ford and Carter were bent on deregulating the industry anyway. Either Congress had to act or the ICC would. Congress acted in order to codify some of the commission changes and to limit others.

The Motor Carrier Act (MCA) of 1980 only partially decontrolled trucking. But together with a liberal ICC, it substantially freed the industry. The MCA made it significantly easier for a trucker to secure a certificate of public convenience and necessity. The MCA also required the commission to eliminate most restrictions on commodities that could be carried, on the routes that motor carriers could use, and on the geographical region they could serve. The law authorized truckers to price freely within a "zone of reasonableness," meaning that truckers could increase or decrease rates from current levels by 15 percent without challenge, and encouraged them to make independent rate filings with even larger price changes.

Next time do a little research. It was good ole Jimmy Carter that got trucking deregulated. Many of us were driving for carriers that fell quickly after the bill was signed into law.

President Jimmy Carter followed Ford's lead by appointing strong deregulatory advocates and supporting legislation to reduce motor carrier regulation. After a series of ICC rulings that reduced federal oversight of trucking, and after the deregulation of the airline industry, Congress, spurred by the Carter administration, enacted the Motor Carrier Act of 1980. This act limited the ICC's authority over trucking.

Both the Teamsters Union and the American Trucking Associations strongly opposed deregulation and successfully headed off efforts to eliminate all economic controls. Supporting deregulation was a coalition of shippers, consumer advocates including Ralph Nader, and liberals such as Senator Edward Kennedy. Probably the most significant factor in forcing Congress to act was that the ICC commissioners appointed by Ford and Carter were bent on deregulating the industry anyway. Either Congress had to act or the ICC would. Congress acted in order to codify some of the commission changes and to limit others.

The Motor Carrier Act (MCA) of 1980 only partially decontrolled trucking. But together with a liberal ICC, it substantially freed the industry. The MCA made it significantly easier for a trucker to secure a certificate of public convenience and necessity. The MCA also required the commission to eliminate most restrictions on commodities that could be carried, on the routes that motor carriers could use, and on the geographical region they could serve. The law authorized truckers to price freely within a "zone of reasonableness," meaning that truckers could increase or decrease rates from current levels by 15 percent without challenge, and encouraged them to make independent rate filings with even larger price changes.

This is the WHOLEKABANG IN A NUT SHELL!!!!!!!!!!!
The man that wrote this can not say anymore or anyless
that could sink into some of you mellonheads!!
If drivers would have stuck together in 79-80,instead of crying,wimpingout,and woundering about mwa.
But i look back on it now,they got rid of the hoffa that had a set of horse balls!!
That was the begining of the end of trucking as it use to be....
a hell of a good job that you could make a good living at..

But now the hoffa that has a set of ,hell,he aint even got a set!!
Along with another nonset of balls named after a chicken plant,and a man named z,.,ers is tidding this up for good on the nmfa....

there wont be a nmfa this time next year......

When i got that news letter last year of those 2 sackless men shaking hands,smiling like they just came out of a room just big enough for the 2 of them...
i said to myself,THE BEGINNING OF THE END.......

It's in the mail

I don't see anything wrong with being a selfish individual! As far as saving some jobs it might have, but you will never know that it might have saved most jobs. They can do what they want when they want. The contract is long forgotten, now they are just picking away at the rest of it. To think that we all had a back bone behind us is now history. Good luck to Freefromdat, I don't see Sir Ocelot writing out a check to help any of us guys on the east coast here that lost our jobs to feed our families. Be selfish all you want, soon that is all you guys will have is selfishness!!!!!!

wireman1234... I don't think you need my checks, but if you want one, it's in the mail:clap: sorry your families are going hungry, just don't forget to feed the children with Obama's stimulus package. ( Don't you just love that phrase?):popcorn:

PS. You should have saved for that rainy day that your dad talked about DUDE!

Can't change the past

I understand compleatly it all started with deregulation Reagan & daddy Bush. This mess is mostly theres you just keep voting for millioners they have your best interest at heart SUCKER ! Crying & going off on me wont change things. You tell me to wake & take a stand LEAD the way Colonel Sanders. What are you doing to change things besides whining on here ? Have you started some grass roots movement to change to the way the system is run ? Do you have a magic wand you can wave to stop all the greed ? No just ranting off like me on a board with other guys who have some time to kill. That is the REAL TRUTH !

Who cares where it all started, you can't change the past. If you are still employed, BE HAPPY if you are not GOOD LUCK. :popcorn:

Get your head out.....

You don’t seem to understand corporate greed; it has been left unchecked for several
Decades now and millions of workers have paid for it with they’re jobs. Even the American
Flag is now made in china (read it). Hershey chocolate is closing plants, to be made in Mexico, American blue jeans are not made here, apple pie is all we got left. Financial statements? Are you kidding me? Go back and S-L-O-W-L-Y look at the history of the American middle class over the past thirty years and YOU Might catch on. We are being sold
Out for corporate profit and absolutely no one has made a stand. Be proud and make a stand for once even in the face of certain death. Or, you could just tell bill zollers who made
Over $5 mill last year and every other 7 figure salary exec that you don’t feel you’ve givin
Enough and please take more for the cause. YOU wake up and smell Mexican trucks and
Part time casuals. Good luck at the apple pie small business job. "you are the fool who doesnt understand".

Freefromdat, where the h!@# have you been "Mr. proud with your head up," Mexican trucks and casuals have been around
a long time, the only reason you didn't seem to have noticed is because you been so proud and been walking around with your head up who knows where and you where making the
big Teamster wages so you didn't really care. so don't act like a "hey look at me I'm a saint" dude. As far as the apple pie is concerned I like my alamode. :popcorn:

wireman1234... I don't think you need my checks, but if you want one, it's in the mail:clap: sorry your families are going hungry, just don't forget to feed the children with Obama's stimulus package. ( Don't you just love that phrase?):popcorn:

PS. You should have saved for that rainy day that your dad talked about DUDE!

I got more then enough money in the bank and don't have to worry about my kids going hungry. I hope you got some in the bank for the storm ahead, but then again your one that thinks the company is gonna ride it out. They might ride it out, but you won't have a ticket to get on........

You sure does have alots of book learning theres' USFCHATT. I'm just a 10th grade drop out working for a freight company. With all yous ability to remember them thar facts you should be on a TV game show. Likes Jeepordy or Who Wants To Be A Millionare. Not driving a truck or moving freight with us unedge-U-macated knockle dragon fellers. How was spilling there professor ? Good thing we have highly educated people like you working with guys like me to correct us. You are truly putting your high school diploma & college degree if you have one to good use working with guys like me. Have a great life & nice exchanging view points with you Sir.

You sure does have alots of book learning theres' USFCHATT. I'm just a 10th grade drop out working for a freight company. With all yous ability to remember them thar facts you should be on a TV game show. Likes Jeepordy or Who Wants To Be A Millionare. Not driving a truck or moving freight with us unedge-U-macated knockle dragon fellers. How was spilling there professor ? Good thing we have highly educated people like you working with guys like me to correct us. You are truly putting your high school diploma & college degree if you have one to good use working with guys like me. Have a great life & nice exchanging view points with you Sir.

That's a cool handle, I wish I would have thought of it!:clap:

Hey Freefromdat why didn't you make a stand decades ago when all this started ? Not untill it affected you did you start yelling about corporate greed. What have you done to change things ? Nothing just point your finger at what others have done not what you haven't done. Well here's your chance show all of us you got horse balls like Senior Hoffa. Step up and organize a new workers revolution. Be our front man we need leaders like you I'll vote for you. Come out from the comfort of your home & the internet to make a differance. Won't happen don't have the balls

USF3347 since you have the same view points as Freefromdat. Will you be our new voice for the future ? Here's a thought you & Freefromdat can run together since you like jumping on his coat-tails. I'll start the ball rolling. All in favor of these two GREAT MINDS known as Freefromdat & USF3347 to run for Pres & Vice of our Union please print your name & send it to them. 1.Name. Carlos R Vasquez.... Local.988..2.Name...Local...3.Name...Local..

Everybody please make sure to read these two rules. I tried to allow everyone to vent a little but its now went to far. Everybody needs to chill out and follow the rules please.

3. Do not resort to childish name calling if someone has a view you do not agree with, attack the subject of a post, not the one who posted it.
4. No last names are to be posted on Truckingboards unless it is in a press release or to post the death of a person. No phone numbers or personal info.