Yellow | YRC Worldwide's (YRCW) CEO James Welch on Q1 2018 Results - Earnings Call Transcript

Freightmaster1

TB Legend
Credits
https://seekingalpha.com/article/41...-results-earnings-call-transcript?part=single

Our next question comes from David Ross of Stifel. Please go ahead.

David Ross

So, I guess I’m going to start with T.J. now that you have moved off to west coast and looking at YRC Freight in the long-haul side. What's been better-than-expected since you got into the weeks there and what's been more challenging work?

T.J. O'Connor

It's been as I stated very energizing. There is lots going on at YRC Freight. And it's very encouraging frankly. The ability to [indiscernible] larger network and to implement the recent shops change of operations, which is performing pretty much as designed, I am getting my arms around thousands of dedicated employees that some new, some been around for a while and some are new previously et cetera but very encouraged and energized by these three to four if you will. People are just have a very positive and can-do attitude, engaged in the business, the sales organization is very much engaged with the customers looking at new solutions for new and existing customers.

The yield environment is very favorable so that makes what we do even more rewarding and enjoyable. So, our challenges you know continued pressure on hiring. like everyone in the industry there is not enough truckers out there. So, we are growing our own, we are recruiting different methods, different ways, we are focused on two locations that are some are universal for the industry [under-hired] right now and doing the very best we can to bring on additional talent that meets our standards in those markets. So that was a challenge in the regional side on the west coast and it’s a challenge here so obviously a bigger impact at rates because of the size of the organization. But overall very optimistic and very encouraged by what I'm dealing with and what I see as opportunities for the organization.

FSqML2T.jpg

Thomas J. “T.J.”
O’Connor
President
YRC Freight
:bananapartyhat:

Seem to spending a hell of a lot of cash on rentals. Of the 2100 new trailers YRC is getting in 2018 how many are vans? God knows we are renting a lot of them at 158. I hope the new trailers are not all pups. 500 or so new vans in the system would go a long ways to getting rid of some of the rentals.
And as for liftgates? Well, Don't send a brand spanking new 40 foot 102 wide liftgate into Pennsylvania because we can't take it off the national network. (I.E. Were not going into a housing development or a back road with a 102 wide trailer over 28 foot and get nailed with a $400 or so ticket!)