Yellow | YRC's Welch: We Must Demonstrate Value

R-14Driver

TB Legend
Credits
New CEO says troubled LTL trucker must make case to shippers, logistics providers, employees

YRC Worldwide must demonstrate its value to shippers, logistics providers and its own employees to survive and succeed, new CEO James L. Welch said.

Veteran executive Welch took charge of the $4.3 billion trucking operator today, after being named CEO by the company’s new board of directors Friday.

In his first 100 days as CEO, “I want to be out in front of as many employees as I can be. I want to be in front of as many customers as I can be,” Welch said.

“I’m at YRC Worldwide because I want to be, not because I have to be,” he told The Journal of Commerce in a phone interview from his office in Overland Park, Kan.

Welch must turnaround a trucking operator that lost more than $2.7 billion since 2006 by consolidating its long-haul subsidiaries and slashing its networks.

He led one of those subsidiaries, Yellow Transportation, serving as president from 2000 to 2007 and leaving before it was merged with Roadway to create YRC.

YRC Worldwide narrowly avoided bankruptcy in 2010 through a $470 million debt-for-equity swap and completed a $500 million financial restructuring Friday....................

YRC's Welch: We Must Demonstrate Value | Journal of Commerce