Yellow | YRCW Fleet Age: Dinosaur Trucking And Results Of No CAPEX Spending!

yes they are , our tractors are getting worse by the year. its hard to come by a decent tractor that was more common in my roadway days. sure you ran into crappy units but now they are all bout crappy . once in a while you get a decent tractor that was more common back in the day . this is a bomb ticking ....

on average yes .
i have been told that if they put a new motor in they reset the mileage. i had one that had 95k on the odometer but clearly was not that new. when i was with roadyway out of say out of every 10 tractors 2 would be real ****ty, 2 would be like new and the 6 of them would be ok like 300k to 800k but drove ok to decent.

now a days i would say you are correct that the majority is around 1 mil and drive pretty bad. its once in a while you get a tractor that was ook by old standards now. this clearly cannot sustain itself for the long run. our trailers are hidious. some are rusting out to the point that the taillights will fly off. its deplorable :(

The mileage is not reset on a engine swing, The engine swings are scheduled for around 925,000, on the older tractors the the odometers only read to 999,999 then start over.

Lack of money means little new equipment and deferred major maintenance tasks, some of what should have been engine swings at 925,000 became P&D tractors instead with out the engine swing.

Trailers that should have been refurbed or replaced are let go, the tail lights fall out in the field and the roll of trailer tape comes out(getting harder and harder to find that tape must cost too much).

A lot of the blame for the condition of the L/H equipment comes down to the accounting system now used, previously at R the cost of L/H repairs were charged to L/H overhead, now they charged to the terminal that does the repairs and the emphasis is to push it down the road doing as little as possible so of course they all turn into big pieces of **** .

It used to be that we heard why didn't you fix xxx while you were working on it, now we hear why are you fixing that there's nothing on the write up about it.......................

Roadway ran this series of tractors for almost a decade.
roadway_white_dbls.jpg

Roadway ran this series of tractors for almost a decade.
roadway_white_dbls.jpg

Is that 41 series still got the old Detroit V92 wisper jet or its second series 60 engine in it yet?
Oh the joy of running to Winston with one of those babys!!!!!

ORANGE & BLUE AT 52! SLOW TRUCKS & BIG BUCKS!!!

That 1984 WCL lasted in the P&D fleet past 2000 6v92, F300 Cumins, and series 60 conversions.......................

I think they got 3 million miles out of some of them. That's a lot of chewing gum on the high beam indicator light.

Is that 41 series still got the old Detroit V92 wisper jet or its second series 60 engine in it yet?
Oh the joy of running to Winston with one of those babys!!!!!

ORANGE & BLUE AT 52! SLOW TRUCKS & BIG BUCKS!!!

Wind gripper rib sides. And no oil filler pipe. Unmuffled air start "whisper jet" for sure. Vinyl seat, too! Living large in the "McLean Lane".

Wind gripper rib sides. And no oil filler pipe. Unmuffled air start "whisper jet" for sure. Vinyl seat, too! Living large in the "McLean Lane".
I remember at Yellow, in 2000 and 2001 all of the other companies were griping when their air conditioners were not working. At Yellow we were still wanting to have a truck with power steering. Our entire fleet in knoxville did not have 100 percent power steering till around 2004-05 I think. It is amazing what luxuries you don't miss when you never have it.

I remember at Yellow, in 2000 and 2001 all of the other companies were griping when their air conditioners were not working. At Yellow we were still wanting to have a truck with power steering. Our entire fleet in knoxville did not have 100 percent power steering till around 2004-05 I think. It is amazing what luxuries you don't miss when you never have it.

"Sadder still to watch it die then to never have known it." -Neil Peart