FedEx Freight | 1 minute idle shutdown - it's here!

Fuel

If they were serious about saving fuel they would take a look at their city operations. For some reason, they think the dock is the most expensive operation at a SC. I've always been told it's the P&D operation. Only makes sense doesn't it?

Work on the routing. What saves more fuel? Shutting down a tractor after a minute or not backtracking miles and miles to deliver to a business you had to pass because you couldn't get to the freight? To you college pin heads out there with your spreadsheets, that's what us dumb truckers call a no brainer. You may save a few sips of fuel by reducing idling time, but you can save gulps by loading the trailers better.

Up to you. I can restart my tractor 100 times a day, or I can make more efficient use of my fuel by not backtracking. And sending in more than one driver to the same delivery has to stop. How wasteful!

They can also take a look at their dispatching. I know in my barn many drivers are sent on errands that could be handled a different way. It's just that they are in a mindset and won't change.

But no, they would rather put the burden on the driver by a knee-jerk reaction than sitting down and analyzing the problem like adults would do.

i wasn't worried about this because i would bet it would be about 2 years before my next pm.seems it has to get about 3 behind before they pull her in

If they were serious about saving fuel they would take a look at their city operations. For some reason, they think the dock is the most expensive operation at a SC. I've always been told it's the P&D operation. Only makes sense doesn't it?

Work on the routing. What saves more fuel? Shutting down a tractor after a minute or not backtracking miles and miles to deliver to a business you had to pass because you couldn't get to the freight? To you college pin heads out there with your spreadsheets, that's what us dumb truckers call a no brainer. You may save a few sips of fuel by reducing idling time, but you can save gulps by loading the trailers better.

Up to you. I can restart my tractor 100 times a day, or I can make more efficient use of my fuel by not backtracking. And sending in more than one driver to the same delivery has to stop. How wasteful!

They can also take a look at their dispatching. I know in my barn many drivers are sent on errands that could be handled a different way. It's just that they are in a mindset and won't change.

But no, they would rather put the burden on the driver by a knee-jerk reaction than sitting down and analyzing the problem like adults would do.

I laugh every time I hear them say anything about saving fuel. It sounds good, but it is only talk. We had a "wheel" come to our barn from HRO and he said for every tenth of a MPG we could save system wide the company would save 1 million dollars!
I told him about a guy in NY that makes a
fuel saving device that he garantees will save 10% or your money back. If he will garantee 10% you know some, or most will do better than 10%. As far as I know NOTHING has been done to even check
on his product. I tried to do my part and call HRO shop and tell them about it, I got to talk to someone that sounded interested but as far as I know it didn't go any further. The price was only $300 per truck. They waste alot more than that on paper at my barn.

I guess I need to remember that I am just a dumb truck driver and if it was not the idea of a college grad that has been educated beyond his level to comprehend, it is just NOT a good idea. Oh well, I tried.

I laugh every time I hear them say anything about saving fuel. It sounds good, but it is only talk. We had a "wheel" come to our barn from HRO and he said for every tenth of a MPG we could save system wide the company would save 1 million dollars!
I told him about a guy in NY that makes a
fuel saving device that he garantees will save 10% or your money back. If he will garantee 10% you know some, or most will do better than 10%. As far as I know NOTHING has been done to even check
on his product. I tried to do my part and call HRO shop and tell them about it, I got to talk to someone that sounded interested but as far as I know it didn't go any further. The price was only $300 per truck. They waste alot more than that on paper at my barn.

I guess I need to remember that I am just a dumb truck driver and if it was not the idea of a college grad that has been educated beyond his level to comprehend, it is just NOT a good idea. Oh well, I tried.
They do look at these things, about 4 years ago I heard a add on the radio for Air Tabs, I sent an e-mail to Corporate about them, they responded with pictures of them installed on our equipment, they were already testing them, they didn't want me to post the pics since they were testing. Guess the tests didn't show any good results as I have never seen them since.

FM

I can't wait for the idle to be reset on my tractor. The first time I am at a stoplight with a cop next to me I hope it shuts down. That will be the end of this happy horse c..p. It is illegal to shut you engine off in the road for any reason other then to prevent it from blowing up maybe. The tow bill alone will offset any potential savings for the life of that tractor and when word spreads all the trucks that have been reset will have to be towed in and reset. This is one idea that will take care of itself. The other problem is for those of us who chain up. There will be no end of road calls in the winter for someone to come out and jump start the tractors on Donner Summit.

I hope that they don't try that with our trucks. They're implementing 3 minute shutdowns on our fleet. 1 minute is just INSANE. Big time safety issue.:hide::hide:
you gotta be kiddin. they might as well take the air conditioners out of the tractors while the air is 90 deg because that' would put me in the same p'd off mood. Oh Sh.. hope i didn't just give em another idea to save fuel.

you gotta be kiddin. they might as well take the air conditioners out of the tractors while the air is 90 deg because that' would put me in the same p'd off mood. Oh Sh.. hope i didn't just give em another idea to save fuel.
matter of fact, these greedy oil people keep raising prices, no one will have to take thier trucker strike to washington. everyone will run out of gas on the highway and transportation will shut down anyway.

Help us Gitrdone!

My tractor, I mean Fedex's tractor was just UPDATED last night. What a crock of sh*t! I know, if u don't like it, just leave. The desk jockey that came up with this needs to ride with a city and a road driver on real routes, u know, traffic, construction, draw bridges, stop lights at real intersections, not the two lane road in Arkansas! If u want to save fuel, run the freight the most shortest route and stop the via's that don't make any kind of common sense.

Just got my truck back from PM, it shuts down now after 60 seconds. Yes, even at stoplights with the clutch pushed in.

Tell everyone you know, I'm just glad I noticed before taking it out on the road. This is coming to all trucks at next PM.

I am glad our speed is the same but this is just plain dangerous. Of course I'm aware of bumping the throttle, however on my tractor even putting it in neutral and letting out the clutch didn't reset the timer.

Tell everyone so they don't have a shutdown when the light turns green!

roog

I used to make mine stay on for hours. I would wait tell the red light would turn on the dash then there was a switch in back of the clutch that I would hit up and it would leave the truck ruining non stop.

Just got my truck back from PM, it shuts down now after 60 seconds. Yes, even at stoplights with the clutch pushed in.

Tell everyone you know, I'm just glad I noticed before taking it out on the road. This is coming to all trucks at next PM.

I am glad our speed is the same but this is just plain dangerous. Of course I'm aware of bumping the throttle, however on my tractor even putting it in neutral and letting out the clutch didn't reset the timer.

Tell everyone so they don't have a shutdown when the light turns green!

roog

Dude thats just CRAZY ! I drive a reclassed Volvo on a city route and have encountered some "century" lights my truck has actually shut off while waiting on a red light with the 3 minute timer. With a 1 minute we will sound like a race car reving it up every 30 seconds or so at every red light. I think some einstein needs to actually ride in a truck once and see that this is rediculous!

My tractor, I mean Fedex's tractor was just UPDATED last night. What a crock of sh*t! I know, if u don't like it, just leave. The desk jockey that came up with this needs to ride with a city and a road driver on real routes, u know, traffic, construction, draw bridges, stop lights at real intersections, not the two lane road in Arkansas! If u want to save fuel, run the freight the most shortest route and stop the via's that don't make any kind of common sense.

I got word from a member of management that this subject was brought up in front of the VP of Operations, VP of HR, and Divisional VP at some meetings at the CLT hub yesterday.

From my understanding (and if any of you guys out of CLT were there please verify) Both the VP of Operations and the Divisional HR manager said that this was being reviewed closely.. due to both counter cost issues, and safety related issues.

The subject of stopping on inclines at red-lights, and having to focus on keeping the truck running instead of surroundings was a major safety concern.

From what I understand from the members of management that I talked to.. this was being looked at and would be resolved one way or another very soon.

Hoot-Owl, were you in attendance? Maybe you can shed some light.

I was not in attendance but haven't heard anything from other clt drivers or other drivers from other centers either...... My truck still idles for the standard time, hope they leave it alone too.......

I just got my truck back from service in TOL and my truck only idles 60 seconds. Nice I drive an automatic and if I am sitting in traffic and I miss the warning light and the truck shuts down it takes 30 or 40 seconds to do a restart due to the ecm doing its thing. And it could be much longer because sometimes when it shuts down in gear you have to go thru a whole process.This will be nice in Chicagoland traffic or sitting on a hill covered with ice this winter preventable or not when I slide backwards down a hill.
And did I mention the pm was horrible my tractor came back covered in grease. The grease monkey who serviced my truck went nuts. He over greased everything the back of my cab is covered, wheel wells under hood, inside of wheels and brake drums. Its nice to see how much pride some people have in there work. Oh I guess TOl has no wash bay either because the truck sure came back dirty.:nutkick:

I just got my truck back from service in TOL and my truck only idles 60 seconds. Nice I drive an automatic and if I am sitting in traffic and I miss the warning light and the truck shuts down it takes 30 or 40 seconds to do a restart due to the ecm doing its thing. And it could be much longer because sometimes when it shuts down in gear you have to go thru a whole process.This will be nice in Chicagoland traffic or sitting on a hill covered with ice this winter preventable or not when I slide backwards down a hill.
And did I mention the pm was horrible my tractor came back covered in grease. The grease monkey who serviced my truck went nuts. He over greased everything the back of my cab is covered, wheel wells under hood, inside of wheels and brake drums. Its nice to see how much pride some people have in there work. Oh I guess TOl has no wash bay either because the truck sure came back dirty.:nutkick:

That sux. then your trying to do a pre trip and then you get full of grease.

I just received my one minute shut down this week. Very exciting to be one of the first recipients. It's almost like being the first to get an Iphone or watching them erect the Eight Bells death tent.

I believe once all of the trucks are on the one minute plan we can easily see a twelve million gallon savings per quarter.